It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI, 2004 SLE
Even if it was to drive 10 hrs. after working a 14 hr shift and dropping off the weekly paperwork at the main office in Charlotte, NC. :sad5: It could only be our luck, to drive this far from an area that prays to have hurricanes miss us, to run right into the aftermath of "Ike" at our destination, Cincinnati. :roll:

Upon meeting Jastek1 at his house(very nice, I might add), we started looking over the cars. They were in really good shape and the deal was struck. We had to get the rental car back to Budget before noon to avoid another days rental charge. (On a lesser note, it was very cool that I rented an economy class car, but when I go to pick up the rental they have to give me an '08 Grand Prix!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) We get the rental back ok and go back to pick up the other bonne. After bidding goodbye and thanking Jastek1 and his wife for the great deal, we set off to find our hotel and hope it has power. It does and we settle in for about 10 hrs. of doing absolutely nothing except watching our favorite TV shows and sleeping.

We leave at about 8 am on what would be the most "interesting" return trip ever!! The garmin GPS unit that got us to Cincinnati was not from the same school of thought that my son's Mio GPS unit. We came back through Ky, Tenn, then NC. That Bitch of a GPS unit kept us going through all small towns and took all 2 lane roads, around and over many mtns. and DIRT RDS! :angry4: It took us 14 hrs to make the return trip :ack: :ack:

I have learned a lot about GPS units on this trip. They don't all work the same way and you get what you pay for. Never, ever will I rely on what it says exclusively. Keep your own brain awake, while using what it says as a guide not verbatim on where to go.

OK, enough talk, here's a few pics of the ride home.

First fill up, 93 of course.

Wifey and doggie watching first fill up.
Just my luck, we pick up a nail.
Good excuse to use compressor!
Didn't make it.

Awesome construction! Believe it or not there is a bulldozer and a big backhoe about halfway up that ridge!
This is a POS!

2001 SSEI-304,572 miles, 3.5 Pulley, Intense PCM, Intense FWI Spectre filter, 160 tstat, ngk iridiums, belden wires, Silverstars-high and low beam, rebuilt tranny, shift kit, cooler, Dex VI fluid, replace the rear compressor and lines and level sensor, Monroe air shocks in back, FE5 struts and Moog strut mounts, Moog stabilizer bars, AC\Delco control arms.

2004 SLE-Stock, 195,000 miles,oldest son's baby now

2000 Ford Ranger-Stock, 352,000 hard, pizza delivery miles, new control arms (upper and lower), new(used) tranny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: Past-1993 SSE
Past-1993 SSE SC
Past-1993 SSEi
looks like an interesting trip. Sounds like the GPS was set in the "Avoid interstates" mode. Most have it, and might want to check on that before using it again.

Good luck with the new car.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 GMC Yukon XL
JimmyFloyd wrote:
Sounds like the GPS was set in the "Avoid interstates" mode. Most have it, and might want to check on that before using it again.

my thought exactly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Good to see they both arrived safely with no major problems :wink:

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:40 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Ahh yes... its a GPS Lessons learned story.

Well... me too, I'm not taking another long trip without a GPS.
Looks like fun, :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
I got a GPS for driving around the Metro, my trip out west, etc....

I love it, you need to understand your route before hand, maybe put in a way point of two to move it if you want to drive a paticular road, and learn what avoidances you want to use. "Fastest" settings will put you on a lot of 2 lane highways out in the middle of the country...

ALWAYS have maps of where you're going packed away somewhere too.

Once you sort've understand what it's trying to do, you'll be able to use it more effectively. My parent's had the same thoughts (exactly) after they got back from their 12 day trip when they borrowed it.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

Last edited by BonneMe on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.