Post subject: 2019 Meat Meet Photos
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Starting this off with the Meat Meet does Hot Rod Power Tour! I didn't take a whole lot of photos, but I did get a few interesting videos at least.

Heading out; Friday morning at the obligatory gas stop:

Most of the drive down to NC was un-eventful, aside from discovering I was low on coolant and needing my fan turn on points adjusted in the tune, but eventually we caught up with the rain:

Day 1: check in. Again, mostly un-eventful, got to see the aftermath of an accident (due to traffic) where a 'local' rear-ended a HRPT driver. After arriving at the venue, where we ended up staying until Austin made it, I ended up wiping down the car and getting a few random photos:

Early the next morning, I awoke to this:

Parking was tight, and the green truck next to me was on the line. But, at least we tried. Had to pop off the T-top and roll the window down, as the door couldn't open far enough. Apparently, that night there were multiple vehicles stolen from other hotels (an issue that's been ongoing in Charlotte).

The next venue was in Martinsville, VA. For the most part, our daily routine was drive in, check in, get our cool stuff, eat lunch, check out a few other rides, check into the hotel, grab some dinner and drinks, and find the burnout parties. On our way from Martinsville to the hotel we detoured along a short stretch of windy mountain road, picked up a tag-along, and stopped for some photos:

Going up this mountain was the first sign of a real problem with the car though. The constant up-shifting and down-shifting must have warmed up the clutch a bit, and it started slipping in 4th going uphill with part throttle and ~3psi boost. Took it easy on the clutch by keeping it in a lower gear and just letting the motor rev a little higher, but the damage was done. Next morning, it seemed fine at first, but as the roads to Bristol got more uphill and windy the slip began to return.

Despite the minor issue, we continued into some of the most windy mountain roads ever - except we were stuck behind an old gasser drag car or something old like that, which was completely incapable of driving down those roads when they were dry. Even worse, it was some old dude who, in the right car, was also incapable of driving them. After what felt like an eternity, we found a detour and broke off the slow moving convoy of rat rods, hot rods, and old people. A few interesting cars followed us, and after some spirited driving we connected back to the route; well ahead of the traffic. And that's where things got interesting. A few introductory hairpins, the first dry roads we'd seen, set the stage; and I heard the turbo on the car ahead of me spool up and we took off, 4 cars (one tag-along) riding bumper to bumper through blind corners, almost as fast as the tires would let them. WOT out of each corner, and heavy braking into the next, for about 3 minutes before we caught up to the next group of traffic. It was some of the most intense driving I've ever done.
But finally, we made it, it's Bristol, baby!

My phone served as a make-shift go-pro for the next leg, where we again broke off route from the main grouping. We didn't push the cars as hard through these corners, but it was still fun:
https://youtu.be/KpJDV16tneA

The video doesn't do justice to the forces you feel while cornering and accelerating at the edge of the tire's limits. However, all of that hard running had taken it's toll on my car. A few idler pulleys, that I had powdercoated and put NEW bearings in, the grease seals failed and started leaking out grease on everything; the belt started squealing. Not a big deal, right?...

Next stop:

We got to watch some autocross, but on the way out I finally discovered that the belt squeal was something more sinister... The alternator was slipping and barely making 12.8v. Some poking around revealed that the bearings on it were shot, and the idler pulley bearing grease had messed up something internally, and after a long day we finally get to the hotel to deal with probably the worst person to do the power tour this year:

He was blocking the path through the already crowded parking lot when we got there, nobody around the vehicle at all, so we grabbed what was probably the only three spaces we could find. This guy comes back out to his 'truck' and rudely requests that we give up our spots so he can have two side-by-side to chain his 'trailer' to his 'rod'. Idiot can't park across the parking lot access road, in the lot where everybody else who takes a trailer would park, because he's afraid someone will steal his ride. The only reason I moved was to get to the spot next to the door that he was blocking when we arrived. Congrats, buddy, I hope you had a good trip, you didn't make any friends here, and missed the parking lot party with the 15 or so people hanging out, watching us change out the lucky emergency spare alternator and stuff.

The roads to Indy were more of the same, getting stuck behind slower people through the back roads:

I've got some more video's of drag racing to upload, which is one of the perks of the event is that participants get to do this stuff for free as long as you have a helmet/adhere to NHRA track rules.

The next stop however we caught up with the rain again. Ft. Wayne was the only stop that wasn't a raceway of some kind. So we took the opportunity to stop in at the Duesenberg museum. Seeing those cars up close is something every car enthusiast should experience. I didn't take any pictures of those cars, but we walked out to find this:

Not sure if that was completely coincidence or planned by them, but 4 generations of Camaros side-by-side was neat.

The final stop was in Norwalk. After making it all this way, I gave in and ran it down the track. 95.5 @ 15.2: Had to baby the 1-2 shift again, and when I got into 4th it slipped momentarily right before the finish line. The camera crew was asleep on that one, but not too bad for a 4" pulley and a cam/headers build! We met up with a few others, and convoyed back to my place, I was too lazy to take any pictures after getting left behind at a light after dinner...

And finally, it was time to kick off the 2019 Meet:

The usual, rigging things up:

Can't wait to see what other pictures you guys got!

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:58 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: Several years, various trims
Just a couple from my setup this year. And the wings.

MattStrike wrote:

Tim will be an official event. Signs, tents, and everything! I mean it this time!

2012 Nissan Titan SV 4x4, 5.6L V8
1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham, TBD
1980 Chevy Chevette, 1.6L (for now....)
1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
2014 Chevy Cruze LT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
I'll have to upload a few tomorrow from my phone. We had a great time as always!

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Matt, next year I'll bring some sturdier zip-ties to fix the land of misfit chairs. :lol:

We went up to Detroit the night before the last stop of the power tour, so we could go to the GM RenCen, since neither of us has ever been inside the place. Obligatory parking garage pictures:

A lot of the cars on display on the main floor were regular production units, but I thought this Suburban was cool, GM should bring back rear facing third row seats, the roll down side/rear windows are cool too.

After we had lunch, we headed down to Norwalk to catch up with the group and convoy back to Matt's together, technical difficulties were had finding them in the sea of distractions that is HRPT, but I spotted something there's only one of:

Pretty much the only other picture I got, either my phone didn't save them or I kept forgetting... :bhuh:

I'm very happy with how well the Ultra did on the trip, I wanted to bring the SSE, but we're still sorting through issues that are inherent to sitting for most of the last 27 years. There's always next time.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:25 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 95 LeSabre Custom
01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
I didn't get much this trip. The weather was mostly bleh, and I stood around talking more than anything. But, I did manage to get shots of breakfast!

It was fun, but went by way too fast.

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2005 Bonneville GXP: 101K Miles | Custom FWI
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit
1984 Caprice Classic Wagon: 86K Miles | Restoration Project