It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:30 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Day: -1.
Leaving tomorrow morning for NY to purchase a '00 SSEi Bonneville. Looking forward to getting back into an SC Pontiac.

Will provide pics and travel info along the way. Wife and I are planning day trips to Philly and DC, so if anyone wants to be a travel guide on Mon or Tues, it would be greatly appreciate. Even ideas on certain Metro stations outside DC would be welcome...we don't want to drive into the City.

Hope to hear from you all!!!!

Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Wow, that's quite the road trip! DC is always fun, been there a bunch, always excited to go back.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

DAY 1-
Hey Guys!!! I got my Bonnie!!!!

Arrived at Long Island and inspected the car, took some picks ,and test drove it. Dispite the years, it does look good, drives well, but needs some work. She needs a good bath, air freshener, and a good polish. The interior is an 8...exterior a 9, and the engine a 6.
The engine has a valve cover leak resulting in a little oil burn and engine splatter. I can do the work but is a pita. Looks like maintenance was done by a dealer but only what was necessary. I also need a scan and tune for there is a little bit of hesitation ar WOT. But She Purrs!!! 78K on OD.
Lastly, she needs a rear bumper...rear bumper cover repainted and now faded and peeling. Other knicks, dings, and scrapes need to be redone and painted....for the price of $3300 for this '00...I think I got a good buy.
Pics coming soon.

Next stop Philly for some cheeze steak and Baltimore to pick up wife and begin a road trip home!!!

Last edited by 731Loadmaster on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
$3,300 for a 2000 SSEi with only 78k on it, even needing that work, is a steal around here! Waiting for pics :)

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Where are you going to pick up a cheese steak??

The orginals are Pat's and Geno's but if you don't feel like dealing with parking, hit up Tony Lukes.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:38 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Glad to hear it! I sold my 03 with 203k a few weeks ago for $3400, so you got an awesome deal, lol.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

FWIW: If the Gov't shuts down tonight, like I bet it will, most of the monuments and memorials will be closed, as well as Museums and stuff in D.C. If it's free, it will be closed tomorrow...

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

lioks like Tony Lukes. yhx for heads up on DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

DELETED POST

Last edited by 731Loadmaster on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

DAY 2- 338 MILES @ 26.4 MPG
Well Guys, I made it to Andrews AFB...the cheapest hotel in 100 mile radius...LOL.

Ran the Bonnie for almost 300 miles and it runs and rides great. This is a tank at times, braking in traffic sux and the cornering is great if not heading into them with a head of steam. So, in not so many words...I LIKE IT A LOT!!! Love takes time.

After spending the night outside of Morristown, NJ, I gassed up, hit the local Wal-Mart for supplies, and headed out to Baltimore to pick up the Wife. I bought a Nuvi50LM to get me through the cities and Mt Dew to keep me awake. Both worked well. But enough of my stuff....onto the car.

After an expensive wash, wax, & vacuum, the car was ready for the Wife. Ferbreeze is my friend today. The shine of the paint is incredible...but it really brought out the absurd paint job of the rear bumper. I am loving the straight lines, the wire wheels (rather have cracked 5's) and how quiet she rides. Its better than my Jag!!!!
The interior needs a deep cleaning and I bought leather cleaner/conditioner. Thank God, the previous, smoking owner didn't leave a lasting smell. Did I tell you all that he has every receipt for all the dealer maintenance ever done! He even put brand new Goodyear Assurance's, all new brake pads, and new front rotors. Hell, he only drove it 600 miles in the last 5 months!!!

If I have to bitch....only a couple of things I am upset with....Valve cover oil leak, SC Snout rattle, a small hesitation at WOT, rear bumper paint, cup holder lid broken, and there is water in/on the original spare tire, resulting in a totally rusted jack & handle. All in All, this was a good buy.

Pics will be taken tomorrow...we got in at sundown. Thanks for everyone's responses.

We are still planning on DC for tomorrow and will walk our asses off....Hopefully, Arlington is open.

Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

DAY4-
Started out from Andrews AFB after a day in DC. Thanks to the Government shutdown, there was not a lot going on. However Arlington National Cemetery is always a great place to visit.
Today is our biggest run yet. 487 miles to SC to visit family. this is also the wife's first opportunity to drive the tank. I took the first four hours cuz im the early riser and can handle city driving. The car worked well throughout the day averaging 28.1 mpg till we hit the hills and a 20 min jam due to an accident. then the display dipped to 26-27 mpg where it stayed. we love the 400 mile run and the $50 fill. $3.349/gal in SC 93 octane.
Car handled well..smooth shifting and acceleration. We miss the into-your-seat acceleration of our other cars, but love this version. we have every option in the manual(like brand new) except the sunroof...it was funny funny as the wife reads out different studd.."We have this?"...Yup. Have this?...Yup....LOL.
we got into Columbia after 8 hrs and 500 miles later. oil leak not bad, but found coolant almost out. Chalk up another todo list item.

So far- its doing no less than expected. Im happy. :-) :banana:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

DAY 5:
We made it home!!! Day 5 was the final leg in our roadtrip. We got to visit with family and enjoy a comfortable time with good food, family, and a little beer and liquor.

We started off filling the Coolant with Cool-Dex (ugh) and dropping in some Sea-Foam to clean the valve area and get the engine ready to be cleaned out and maintenance ready. It was also added to the gas to start the lines out as well.

Our GPS said 489 miles to home and it took us along the Interstates till just before Atlanta. Backroads straight back to our home was the last half of the trip. We took 12 hours to get home because there were so many antique stores for my wife to visit, that when she was driving, we had to stop. I hope I get something out of all this... We were surprised at all the crazy drivers in GA...talking about pacers, slow-asses in the fast lane, and farm tractors on the road at night. Recommend major roads at night from now on...LOL.

The final tally is 25.8 mpg at 70mph average. We drove 1440 miles in 5 days. No major problems other than a coolant leak noted. The drive was excellent, smooth acceleration and shifting, its really quiet inside at 80 mph, and it looks great.

All in All, this is turning out to be a great purchase and a wonderful vacation with the wife!!! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this forum and we appreciate all the great feedback on this site.

Wolf