It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:21 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
Well my tale of woe started in November when after an off-road excursion my wife’s 2015 Jeep wrangler Rubicon refused to start and it cost me $500 to get it towed home. After a pressure washing I put it on my trailer and took it to the dealer. They told me that the ABS module was bad and since Stellantis in their infinite wisdom decided that the first module to check in their diagnosis procedure was that module, it needs to be replaced. Problem is, there are no modules available anywhere in the US and they would not be available until mid April. :banghead: :banghead: I have an aftermarket warranty that only allows OEM and it expires in January. This means that the ABS module will be covered but anything else that Jeep may find later due to their inability to diagnose it before April will not be. Sooo I tell my wife to look for a good car we can buy to use for now and until we get rid of the Jeep. She finds a 2005 Bonneville GXP with low miles and falls in love with it. Probably paid a bit of a premium, but she likes the car so :dontknow: Oh and as a Kicker, I have been waiting 5 months for an AC compressor for my 15 FIAT 500. So you will understand when I say I hate Stellantis. Love their cars, hate the company.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:40 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Welcome to the club.

It is worth knowing that you picked the most problematic version of the Bonneville. The GXP's Northstar engine is known for head issues and is VERY costly to repair. Not sure about the condition, mileage, etc but it would be worth knowing that you may end up needing to put thousands into it if/when it needs the notorious head bolt job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:11 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
nos4blood70 wrote:
Welcome to the club.

It is worth knowing that you picked the most problematic version of the Bonneville. The GXP's Northstar engine is known for head issues and is VERY costly to repair. Not sure about the condition, mileage, etc but it would be worth knowing that you may end up needing to put thousands into it if/when it needs the notorious head bolt job.

Knew this going in, but thanks for the heads up. Head gaskets, radiator and water pump replaced just before I bought it. As for reliability, I drive a FIAT so not really a sticking point for me. It is the inability to get parts and the ridiculous diagnosis procedures that have me upset. I have to wait for five months just for them to tell me what is wrong? I know that body and trim parts will be difficult to find for the GXP,but if they get damaged it is either just a nuisance or a crash where it becomes the insurance company’s problem. Regardless, if I get two good years, then it has served its purpose. I hope to keep it much longer, but don’t really need to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:02 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Well hey, it sounds like you have the vehicle's most common issue sorted out so I should think you'll get way more than 2 years out of it.