It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville Ssei
New member, Patrick, here. Initially started profile on friends computer 2 years ago, but hadn't logged in since until recently. Had a flip phone until 6 months ago, and no computer makes my online activity mininal.

Never worked on a car till I got my Bonneville, but with a little motivation, some common sense and a lot of help from others' post, I got this car running cherry (other than the tranny issues holding it back :banghead:

I'm not sure if I can contribute much (as I found much of the info from here) but with my smartphone I can keep an eye out for posts needing help.

Car ran rough when I got it. 1st time passing a car was embarrassing, but new plugs an wires fixed that. (Running 105's now,104's when I/C operational.) New caliper an rotors allround, new c/v joints, ball joints, front wheel hubs, tie rod ends and sway bar links. New rack & pinion and intermediate shaft. All new engine sensors except for knock sensors. (Had to have shop do crankshaft sensor.) Rebuilt a spare s/c with new front and back bearings (used a 2-ton press at local shop.) All new mounts with the boat roller in front. Did wire work under drivers seat and got the front windows working, but back windows still out? Did radio lights but didn't have the larger frosted ones for display, so used the smaller ones. Readable on startup and for 5-10 minutes, but think the little non frosted bulbs get to hot. Summit FWI intake sat in engine bay for a couple weeks as needed a 90° 3.5 in. Elbow to fit in FW. The 9" cone barely fits in there. Ordered a 45° silicone, but wrong angle. Think a 90° silicone would work. The 90° aluminum elbow I have works, but it's a tight fit and a pita!

Did the valve body, 4th clutch hub, 4th friction an steel plates, 35/35 gears (which NEEDED a tune afterwords) Didn't know shop was gonna drop tranny out of car for me so didn't go into it knowing I'd have access to t/c. The new shaft on drive gear (that goes into torque converter) didn't have a new o-ring seal, so I used the old worn out one ... That may have cost me :sad: Though my tranny issue aren't fixed, they may be better. I went with synthetic dexron 6, as I had good results before. 2 years ago (and after trans-go shift kit) Tranny was running rough! Unhooked the tranny cooler line going out from top of radiator, started the car and had a friend pour it in as it spewed out. Shut car off 2-3 times as it was pouring out faster than he could put it in! It may have been a risky was of changing 10quarts of tranny fluid, but it worked and the new synthetic gave it new life. That's why I replaced with synthetic on my recent work. Thought it might be too slick with new 4th friction plates, so I added a thing of JiffyLube black and 3 red tubes of Shudder relief. Seems like it has a sweet spot temp-wise. Shift not so good on start-up, much better when warm, sloppy when running for a while. Hoping I/c will help as I also have my after market tranny cooler sitting behind I/c heat exchanger with a new auxiliaryfan blowing on it.

Anywho, I have a summit 9" cone FWI, 3.4 pulley, ZZP coils and wires and ZZP 1.0 pcm. Short stack intercooler in the works, and Speedy Daddy headers soon.

Current issue is ZZP short stack intercooler. Installed intercooler and car whines load and shuts right down. Gave a little gas a fuel injector popped out! Pulled supercharger off and half of the boost bypass hole going down supercharger was blocked by I/c aluminum, other half blocked by gasket. Cut out gasket to expose half hole, reassembled with same results. Took off again and hole similar in size and opposite the pcv valve was blocked by gasket. Cut out reassembled with same results. ZZP wasn't much help and just said they've never had an issue. The I/c core extends past the manifold opening to cover half of bypass hole. I looked at pixs of ported manifolds and it appears as if it's ok for all the air ports to share the same space. I think in need to port out the metal between the hole that takes in air from supercharger to the boost bypass hole to allow more air to the bypass hole. I don't think it's getting an accurate reading being half blocked off by aluminum. Any thoughts?

**Update** Zzperformance confirmed they sent me the wrong gaskets. Once I take off s/c I may find I also have the wrong intercooler ... Don't know yet.

Last edited by Patrick1981 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
"car whines load and shuts right down"

Sounds like what I am going through on my current project. This seems to be caused by the plenum gasket leaking. Because you have an intercooler, you have two plenum gaskets I think. So make sure all of the old gasket material is cleaned off both sides of both interfaces before putting new gaskets on.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm 
LE Member

I'll look into that. Waiting to hear back from head tech guy at ZZP ... Last guy wasn't so helpful. I did use the two garlock gaskets from zzperformance (most say they're junk, some say ok if you use gasket maker.) Also foolish of me ... I kept the old supercharger gasket on s/c(only 2 months old) and stacked that on garlock gaskets with gasket maker. It's highly plausible theres a good leak between s/c and old gasket. Thanks so much! Also probably doesn't help that these garlock gaskets have been torqued down 3-4 times.
Yesterday when took belt off to work on, the pulley wasn't moving freely. Took s/c off and spun freely, put on and once torqued to 200 inch pounds (16.6ft) it started catching. I did ease up on the torque so spin freely. Still have no idea what it was catching or binding up on ... No damage to I/c and plenty of clearance?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:19 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
you probably torqued way above spec - there are bearings in the rotor housing and you may have squeezed them reducing performance - 200ft/lbs?

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm 
LE Member

Zzperformance confirmed they sent me the wrong gaskets. Once I get the s/c off I may find I have the wrong intercooler, too.