It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:10 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville Series II-3.8 V-6 Vin K
Hello Pontiac Bonneville Club! I have just became the owner of a 10 year old Bonneville. I know the whole history of the car. My Dad bought it for my Mom in Dec. of '02. It has 75K miles on it. Mom is a rather aggresive driver, but when she turned 80, Dad bought her a Surburbian. She finds it easier to go up in the Surburbian, the down in the Bonny. We have done our own service on it, since it was new. It only has the 2nd set of tires on it. My first question is What is the biggest & best set of 16's I can put on it. Now it has good ridin' Michilins' on it, but they are getting @ the end of their life cycle. I have replaced the brakes, but did not drain the fluid. This I will do next time I do brakes. Second ?, What about the new ceramic brake pads? Are they any good? The rotors have never been turned.(Not needed @ the time). I have changed the oil, using Mobile1, since it was new. No burn, no leaks. Next question, the A/C system has always been great.(Needed here living just outside of Houston, TX.) I hear bearing noise, when the A/C is OFF. Turning it ON, it gets a lot quieter, but I can still hear a little chirping. My question is Can the Pully/Bearing/Clutch assembly be pulled off the compressor, and replaced. I know it has takes special tool & talent and I have access to both. Other maintaince items I have done, 2 batteries(underneath the back-seat), water-pump & thermostat, & radiator flush,(no corrosion or rust at all). I was pleasently surprised. Just recently, I have installed a K&N air filter.(Sounds like an ol' school 4-barrell). I also replaced both "heater-hose pipes" coming out of the intake. Hope you guys can help me, I want to do upgrades to the exhaust, in the near future. Thanks a lot in advance. Hope to hear from you soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Welcome to the club!

Tires are preference and everyone will give you a different answer. I have BFGoodrich Traction T/A's. They're a great tire that won't break the bank. They do make them in 16 inch size. I assume you have an SE Bonneville?

You can replace the clutch on the compressor but you need to remove the compressor from the car.

Ceramic brake pads are great. They bite amazingly but might be prone to more dust and noise depending on which ones you go for. I personally have Hawks and they are great. They had a "dust off period" in the beginning for about 2k miles, now they're fine. They dust a little but nothing crazy. They rarely squeal as well.

If you want even more flow from your intake, get a fender well intake from Intense Racing. Gives you better throttle response too.

In terms of exhaust, what are you looking to upgrade? Flow or sound? For flow, a Plog and 2.5 Inch downpipe will serve you well. You can get both from ZZP. Sound changes are preferential. The most popular would be Magnaflow mufflers or Flowmaster Super 44's, like me and couple other members run.

Last but not least, post up some pictures of your Bonneville when you can. :)

Last edited by nos4blood70 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.