It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2002 Bonneville SSEI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEI
Hey figured I would join and ask for advice about my newer year Bonne. First off I had the whole top end of the motor rebuilt all fresh gaskets and the SuperCharger ported open more. Was thinking about a smaller pully since I had the top rebuilt.

This is not my main problem so let me divert from the ADHD moment to the problem.

Problem #1: I have a factory Monsoon system in my car, but the rear spears in the back window do not work. All overs are fine, but these are not. I got a Bonneville Bose amp given to me freely before they scrapped their 2000 Bonneville. If the monsoon amp is the issue and may have blown a channel or 2, can anyone suggest how to hook the Bose up since I have it? I noticed just plugging it in cuts all sound all together so I am guessing the wiring is different in the plug? Wiring help please!

Problem #2: My rear windows have never worked in my car. The passenger never worked either until I fixed a broken wire in the door and checked the ones under the driver chair. I have scanned the internet to no avail. Also I don't hear any noises like their even trying to work. Noticed duck-tape marks on the top of the windows from previous owner. He lied and said the whole thing was a fuse issue.

Problem #3: I noticed the factory air-pump is non-responsive. I checked every fuse under the hood and under the back seat besides the metal ones.

Problem #4: The fuel never reads right, well sometimes. Most of the time it either says all the way full or empty. The pump SEEMS to still be functioning correctly, do I have to replace it?

Problem #5: I installed drilled rotors with Ceramic brakes all the way around. I get alot of squeeking noises when driving, sometimes when the brakes are not even applied. Also seems like I hear a slight grinding noise out of the front right side. Not sure why.

Problem #6: Check Engine code comes on saying low efficiency catalyst bank 1. I changed the cat converter to a universal high flow magnaflow cat converter from pepboys. If its the o2 sensor, can it be cleaned to save a few dollars?
-Side question, I bought a Cherrybomb Glasspack, I was thinking about adding it after the cat to take the place of the factory resonator. Would this sound good on the 3800SC or sound like crap. Would it boost performance?

Advice-

I would like to get more power to push me into my seat off acceleration, Suggestions?

My Bonneville Shotz http://photobucket.com/InfiniteRiddle

Post subject: Re: 2002 Bonneville SSEI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:19 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 96 olds cutlass supreme 4 door
first off Welcome to the club, and we love pictures! :banana: :btruestory:

problem 2 might be that the window regulators failed

problem number 6 is might be because of the high flow cat, your rear o2 isnt to happy with the different than stock flow..thats a pretty easy fix!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26791

Also, have a look at this thread, it will help you with most of your issues im sure :bhuh:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25362

why in the the world do you have or need Vaseline in your trunk??!!..well Leather cleans easy..

Last edited by wake on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:23 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
Welcome to the club.
Post soem photos of your car so we can enjoy it too.

"Unfortunately there is one thing standing between me and that property: the rightful owners."
- Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding - Groucho Marx - Animal Crackers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Just stopping by to check for replies before I am off on the job-hunt again. I will check out the links SE left for sure and thanks bro for checkin into my issues.

Also Wake, I tried making a picture apart of my signature but it did not work. Not sure on how to do that, but I will put up a shot as my profile pic :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

saw that..i believe its not working cause it doesnt fit the size restrictions..note the difference between yours and mine :dontknow:

why in the the world do you have or need Vaseline in your trunk??!!..well Leather cleans easy..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
I find it more likely that you have a blown speaker then the amp going bad, and you are correct about the bose. the plugs are the same but the pinouts are completely different. you don't want to try and use the bose for a number of reasons.

1. it would be a downgrade for you, the bose sends just one signal the front speakers and tweeters, whereas the monsoon has a separate channel for the tweeters.

2. the wiring would be very extensive, and again wouldn't really be worth it.

my suggestion is to find a known good speaker and test the rear wires with it and IF it turns out to be the amp I'm sure harofreak00 (member on here) will have one in stock that he will sell you

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

:beerchug: Cheers wake, that worked well for me. Also updated with a photobucket list of some pictures.
Also as an update for the amp situation. I bought a box from Advanced Autoparts that has 4 wires and connects to the factory speaker wires so I can have RCA Audio hookups for an aftermarket amp. I put in a set of 15"s that would not fit until removing all the plastics and placing them in. To cut to the chase, I tapped directly into the wires hooked to the rear 6X9's thinking the monsoon amp would filter the signal well. Turns out theres nothing coming from the amp. I also pushed up on the 6X9 cones and they feel fine and don't sound scratchy when I move them. I hooked the box up instead to the radio to amp wire set and it works but getting alot of highs which I don't think is good for the 15"s. Also noticing the volume dose not go very high, is there a factory hearing safety widget?

-BTW heres info on the Bose Amp. It was given to me out of a 2000 SSEI. Bose amp,3630,GMX310 another number on it is 25709754 aswell as 184662004453954. If theres any way of using it until I get a new one?

-I was going to throw an after-market deck into the car, I have a nice alpine, but what would I be missing if I don't buy the super expensive little box to adapt it, or perhaps dose anyone have this nifty box used? Shootin in the dark, but hey, maybe someone sold their car and put the factory back in?

- I am considering upgrading the speakers as I have read done on here ( I think it was swamp actually). Just later when I get a job again and am not only earning $240 a month from plasma donations lol.

- I was wondering if I can upgrade my SSEI to a GXP? If so I hear many bad things about the North Star motors, should I try for the Grand Prix 5.3 liter? Also is there a difference between the caddy version and the Bonneville versions?

- Not sure if transmission oil has ever been changed but its really runny. Like almost rolls off the dipstick. Added a full bottle of lucas treatment for now. Ideas?

Sorry about the scrambled thoughts, just figure its easier to post it all on one thread than 1000 questions on separated threads.

Last edited by InfiniteRiddles on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

glad i could be of some help :banana: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
No, the Bose amp won't work. You'd have to re-pin the old connectors.

I doubt harofreak00 has a Monsoon amp, he has only done a few 02+'s, and IIRC most of them sold.

Trans oil is supposed to be slightly runny. What is the color of the fluid, and the smell?

Upgrade to a GXP? As in swap in everything? Why not just sell this and buy a GXP? There is so much wiring that would need to be changed, plus mounting it, plus getting everything to work with everything else, especially considering the N* is a worse motor in a lot of ways. It would still be a lot of work to swap in a GP LS4, for not a ton of reward...

If there are differences between the Caddy version and the GXP version I don't know of them.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Last edited by 00Beast on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:43 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

If I could sell this and have enough to buy a GXP I would in a heart beat. I found a 2005 GTO that needs a transmission for 5k. I will check the color tommrow of the transmission oil and update. Northstar motors are why I avoided caddys and a big reason why I want to get a 2005+ GTP or GXP because of the :worship: 5.3 liter motors