It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:17 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Well, we got our first real snowfall yesterday, about 4" of heavy, slushy, wet snow. I must say that these tires are awesome!!! For those that haven't followed, I picked up a new set of 215/65/16 Blizzaks for the '03.

The roads were absolutely terrible, but the tires handled them with no problem at all. Our driveway has a slight incline to get out into the road and we usually have a lot of trouble getting onto the road when there is a lot of wet, slushy snow at the end of it. Stephanie had no problem at all getting out in the road. I was in the Blazer behind her and couldn't even move at all in two wheel drive, yet alone climb that little incline. 4x4 was the only way to go in the Blazer.

I really can't belive how good these tires grip the wet slushy snow, or the hard packed snow for that matter!! It is so wierd to hit the gas and have a car actually PULL on the snow instead of just spin like mad.

They do make a lot more road noise then the stock 235/55/17s do, especially under acceleration and when driving on wet roads. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing. They also have a MUCH softer ride then the stock tires / rims do, which is to be expected with a narrower tire, taller sidewall, and softer compund. They are at 35 psi right now, and they still feel like they are low in pressure compared to the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires that were on it before.

The noise and cushiness of the tires does take a little bit to get used to, but I tell ya, I can see already that these tires are well worth every penny spent on them. Just knowing that Stephanie has more confidence on the road now with them makes it worth all the money, not to mention that it helps me to relax knowing that she is not so nervous when driving in the bad conditions.

So far, I am VERY happy with them!

I will keep this updated during the winter, along with tread wear and mileage :)

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

Last edited by crash93ssei on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:16 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
I might put one on my motorcycle, I should get more miles out of it than my $250 motorcycle tire.

ROD

180 therm AEM DRYFLOW Air Filters
3.33 pulley 3" cat back exhaust
custom solid front motor mount
custom 6" (BIG) intake
__WCBF '06, '07, '08, '11 survivor__

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:58 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
The only thing I didn't like about the Blizzaks was because of the really soft compound and sipes, they were very squirmy.
I agree that two wheel drive with these is like 4WD with All seasons for traction in the winter.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

Last edited by 2000Silverbullet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Well, it has been almost a month, so I think it is time to update this :)

We have been getting POUNDED with the snow! The roads haven't been clear for more then a day or two in the last three weeks. I am sure that we have had more winter storm warnings already this year then we did all of last winter!

There have been a crazy amount of accidents and people in the ditch everywhere. Steph has built up a ton of confidence in these tires and she is very happy that we have made the purchase. She was on the roads all over the place yesterday and seen 4 two car accidents, 1 six car pile up, and three cars in the ditch! She said that she had absolutely zero problems at all with sliding or slipping anywhere.

We have seen everything from 6" of very heavy wet snow that turns to ice when you drive on it, 12" of light snow, to sleet and freezing rain. We have yet to get stuck at all, even when we have had cars buried in our driveway, even with good tires, at least a half dozen times already.

We have about 2,000 miles on the tires so far and they still look new.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:55 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
crash93ssei wrote:
Well, it has been almost a month, so I think it is time to update this :)

We have been getting POUNDED with the snow! The roads haven't been clear for more then a day or two in the last three weeks. I am sure that we have had more winter storm warnings already this year then we did all of last winter!

There have been a crazy amount of accidents and people in the ditch everywhere. Steph has built up a ton of confidence in these tires and she is very happy that we have made the purchase. She was on the roads all over the place yesterday and seen 4 two car accidents, 1 six car pile up, and three cars in the ditch! She said that she had absolutely zero problems at all with sliding or slipping anywhere.

We have seen everything from 6" of very heavy wet snow that turns to ice when you drive on it, 12" of light snow, to sleet and freezing rain. We have yet to get stuck at all, even when we have had cars buried in our driveway, even with good tires, at least a half dozen times already.

We have about 2,000 miles on the tires so far and they still look new.

Might be something to consider for next year. I like the TripleTreds, but they aren't a dedicated snow tire. We'll see what the budget looks like next fall.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:57 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SE, 2008 Trek 3700
Those are in my future too. We have had the same weather you have.... The P-Zero Neros are great on dry and wet pavement, and are actually pretty good at pulling through crap, but they leave a lot to be desired compared to the blizzaks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:16 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

The P Zero Neros are exactly what we have on the stock chrome 5 spokes. We love them for the handling etc. in the summer, but I can't even begin to compare how much better the Blizzaks are then the Pirellis in the winter.

Heck, I have some very meaty BFGoodrich Traction T/A tires on the '93, and I thought that they would be great in the snow. They are good, but still nothing at all like the Blizzaks!

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:18 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Once last winter I was driving my 6.6 L Trans Am RWD during a blinding snow storm with the Blizzaks on.
I was passing trucks who were stopped on the road with no traction and others that were spun out in the ditch. Better traction than performance tires in the wet. Simply an amazing tire. :banana:
Spun like crazy though as soon as the roads dried up a bit. :twisted:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:15 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
60* here tonight...Send the snow down here.

I really want to buy snow tires but I have 0 reasons to right now.

Since you gave good reviews for these tires, they're top of my list now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:20 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Year and Trim: 1991 Olds 88
crash93ssei wrote:
They also have a MUCH softer ride then the stock tires / rims do, which is to be expected with a narrower tire, taller sidewall, and softer compund.

I've always had snow tires on all my vehicles. The Old's snow tires are showing their age this year so I keep that car in the garage during the snow. I have a set of Blizzak (195/65/15) WS-50's that I'll be puttting on The Vibe in a couple of weeks (AFTER we get back from Florida). I replaced the snow tires on "The Buggy" with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 195/65/15. And, YES, the ride is MUCH softer than the stock 225/45/17 tires due to the taller sidewall and softer (Q speed rated) compound. But they proved themselves in last weeks snow storm coming home from work. They give you that extra cushion of safety when you need it thee most. Of course your results may vary.

2002 Snap Orange Beetle - Auto - Turbo

1991 Dark Garnet Red Oldsmobile 88 - Donated to Science

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:45 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Well, that time seems to be creeping up on us again. It was 30* outside the other night / morning when I got out of work at 3 AM and frost was everywhere. It reminded me to dig this thread up and post my thoughts :)

The Blizzak's are sitting in my little storage shelter on the same set of painted crosslaces. I doubt they will receive much more then a cleaning, but who knows what will happen before the snow flies! I am actually excited to see the snow again this year and even more so happy to know that the '03 and it's precious cargo will be completely safe out on the slick roads :) $422 shipped to my door for the tires is an amazing deal considering how happy they make me!

For anyone thinking about winter already, and wanting to be safe and secure on the dangerous roads, I can tell you that there simply is no replacement for a true designated winter tire! I last looked at them a week ago and the tires that were on the front were about 3/4 tread still and the back still looked brand new. I actually expect to get four winters worth of driving on these tires, properly rotated of course, IF I can get Steph to stay off the loud pedal :lol:

for those wondering, I didn't update the thread title yet, but I will do so when the tires go back on the car.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
crash93ssei wrote:
I can tell you that there simply is no replacement for a true designated winter tire!

I couldn't agree more. I have a set of winterforce's and they perform very well also. I'm thinking about putting mine on soon since my current tires are shot, and now It's getting cold enough that I don't have to worry about hot roads eating the snow tires up.

2000 SSEi - Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by viper8907 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:34 am 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
Can't wait to throw my General Altimax Arctic on in a month's time. They're a rebranded Swedish Gislaved Nord Frost 3, a *serious* previous model from a couple years ago.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Just going to give a little update / warning on this.

First off, the warning....

If you have a 2000+ and want to throw on a set of 16" crosslace rims, beware that they might not clear the calipers if you have new rotors and pads. Mine fit perfect with no issue last winter on older pads and rotors, however this year, with new pads and the same old rotors, my passenger side had a slight clearance issue. I didn't have to grind the caliper at all, it basically rubbed the paint and corrosion off the caliper and that was it, but if we had new rotors on as well, there might not have been enough clearance.

They are on the '03 and doing great, put them on just in time for our winter blast we had yesterday, we got about 5" of that really heavy wet snow that turns to ice the second you drive on it. Steph drove to work and school in the mess with cars all over in the ditch and said that she didn't even slip a little bit :beerchug:

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
i run 17" blizzaks on my '00 and yeah, i can't believe the performance the tires put to the west slushy *shoot*.. my car unfortunately has to sit outside for lack of better option :sad5: does anyone else find they kinda stick to the asphalt on a really cold night??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No idea if they stick to the asphalt, our car sits outside also, but on a dirt driveway that pretty much remains covered in snow all winter.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Well, after four years with these tires, I must say that I am still VERY impressed with them. I was thinking that this would be the last winter with them, but it really looks like a couple of them have one more winter left! I know they don't make these anymore, but figured I should update this anyways for anyone looking for winter tires next year so they know what they can expect from something like a Blizzak snow tire.

No idea on how many miles were put on these, but I do know that they were driven on a LOT - work and back daily, just driving around, running errands, a trip to New York at the beginning of this year, etc. not to mention a TON of burnouts on them :lol:

Here is the best looking one

Here is the worst one

Overall there was never one time that I lost confidence in these tires even in the nastiest storms we had over the last four years (the car didn't spend the winter with me in 2010/11) This year they did have a little trouble with some nasty wet slushy snow that fell, about 4" of it, but I don't think anyone was having fun with that stuff, not even 4wd. They are still absolutely amazing in the hard pack snow, fluffy snow, and even still really good on ice.

Of course these went back on, cleaned and sealed with Meguiar's #21 then tires dressed with Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance gel (dressing not applied in this pic)

Had my pit crew here to help out with the swap too

Although I really believe that these Blizzaks have some more life left in them, a couple of them I know would be good for one more winter, I don't think they will live to see that long... even though the '03 now is running on the summer set :wink:

MattStrike wrote:

Last edited by crash93ssei on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
My 4 winter Firestone Winterforces (maybe 8-10k miles) on the G8 have much more tread left. Winter 5 will be a no brainer, maybe even 6. I do tend to keep the tires in static friction most of the winter, though. lol Burnouts were light and scarce.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights