It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today is the day.. LIM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:27 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: no longer a Bonneville owner
As soon as it gets light out I'm going to start tearing Christine's innards apart. Coolant leak is making me nervous so I got the gaskets I need and the intake comes off today.

I read the techinfo article about this but I'm wondering about the injectors on the series 1, can I take the manifold off without removing the injector rails and injectors by disconnecting the fuel lines? How great are the chances of breaking those quick connectors on the fuel lines?

2001 F150 a basic six cyl with 5 speed manual trans.
'66 Piper Cherokee 360 CID , 180 hp, 155 mph @ 2500 rpm, drop in K&N filter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:24 am 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I had intended on the same task on the '01 today as well. But I have no garage space and it's supposed to rain all day. :sad:
Not to mention the stuff I ordered from Rock Auto isn't here yet. :???:

I think you would be able to leave the fuel rail on the LIM but you'll have to leave the UIM on as well. But it would make things easier if you pulled the fuel rail off and the UIM. Otherwise a few of those LIM bolts may be hard to get to. Also I believe it would be easier to pull the fuel rail out with the injectors and set it aside if you go that route. I don't recall any problems with the quick connections on the fuel lines.

Wish I had my L27 in tact, I could probably help a little more, it's been a few months since I've done anything with it.

Anyway, I wish you luck!

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 GMC Yukon XL
i would just take the fuel rail out with the injectors like booze said. once you get it unbolted its rather easy to just pull them out, as long as you pull evenly on the whole rail. im not sure the difference between a L27 and L67 but i cant imagine its that different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:23 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I've started taking things apart, slowly and carefully. Already broke one electrical connector. :sad:

Coolant was filled 2 days ago and tank was empty this morning and rad was low enough that I couldn't see any when looking down with the cap off. Oil looks good and clean though so I may have lucked out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:57 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I got it all apart without further problems and found that all my gaskets are in PERFECT condition. Judging by some tool marks they have been replaced before at some point.

Problem is, I can't see where there has been any water leaks. It has to be going somewhere. :sad5:

Throttle body and plenem (sp?) are totally caked in carbon, they will take some time to clean up.

Off to the parts store for some O rings and a small hose that looks like it could be a problem in the near future if I didn't replace it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:12 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
You're replacing the coolant elbows as well correct?

Could you tell the corners of the gaskets were sealed? Or did the gasket come off in 4 parts or as 1 piece?

When you replace the new ones be sure to use some sealant in these corners here.
ImageImage

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

Last edited by WhiteArrow3800 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:01 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

93-SSE wrote:
You're replacing the coolant elbows as well correct?

I made a point of searching out coolant elbows and purchasing same. However, I can't find any coolant elbows in my car. Just a metal pipe with an O ring and the rubber hose from the water pump to the LIM. That's the one I'm replacing.

Quote:
Could you tell the corners of the gaskets were sealed? Or did the gasket come off in 4 parts or as 1 piece?

It basicly came off as one piece then fell apart. It was sealed very well in the corners.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:25 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
You are at the point where you will need to check the Radiator, Water Pump, Bypass Hose and or possibly the Heater Core..

I am glad to hear that the gaskets were in good shape..

There has been some info posted by Wren on the Porting... There isn't a lot to do to the L27 Lower intake but the gains to be had are nice for a free mod... The Rockers will just add to it... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:27 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Jr's3800 wrote:

There has been some info posted by Wren on the Porting... There isn't a lot to do to the L27 Lower intake but the gains to be had are nice for a free mod... The Rockers will just add to it... :wink:

I've looked carefully at the LIM and can't see where I could improve on it very much if at all. Every port is nice and square, smooth, as good a casting as I've ever seen. I'll touch it up with a sandpaper wheel on the dremel but I don't think there is much to be gained.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 pm 

There is a little to be had... May not be much but worth it if you have the time to be precise with your measurements... And some runner smoothing as well.. Mine was not the most pretty thing when I was done, but it serves the purpose.. Makes for more flow into the motor.. I also did this as I knew I was going to be using the rockers..

I will say that you will be happy no matter what you do with the rockers.. Its makes the 2-1 Shift nuts, and the 1-2 can throw you a bit... I love the rockers.. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I cleaned up the LIM as good as I am going to, was going to pull a Wren and finish it off in the "domestic parts cleaner". The wife came home early and anyone who has met her can probably tell you what she said about that idea. :angry7:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:23 pm 

Domestic Parts Cleaner....... Thats pretty funny :twisted:

I can't wait to hear about the rockers and the smile on your face :wink:

a couple of Pics...

and the intake...
Image Not perfect but did the job...lol

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:39 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Look for the spot of leaking inside the EGR port of the upper manifold. It is the round opening in the bottom of the throttle body opening. Take a little pick or screwdriver and poke around a little. There is a coolant passage that runs around there and the plastic breaks bown and allows the coolant to be sucked in through the EGR port.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:57 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Almost all buttoned up. Just have to put new O rings on the injectors and put the fuel rail and injectors back on. I'll do that tomorrow, too tired and hungry to think straight right now.

After I change the oil and filter I'm going to fill the rad with straight water until I"m sure there are no leaks at that *dang* steel coolant line that fits into the end of the LIM. I had one he** of a time getting it to fit back in the hole with a new O ring. I'm not positive that the ring stayed in the groove.

I'm doing good, only one nut and one bolt left over. I have no idea where they go. :angry7:

Wish I had the rockers to put in today, I can see where it would have been a LOT easier with the top end off the motor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:34 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Anyone have any helpfull hint about installing that metal pipe with an o-ring on the end that goes into the LIM and a hose to the heater on the other end?

Three times I've torn the O-ring trying to get it to seat properly.

I've used silicone spray as a lube the first try, oil the second try and vasoline the third time. What I should have done is camber the edge of the hole when I had the LIM out but I don't have room to do it when it's installed and I don't really want to take everything apart again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:36 pm 

You did remove the 15mm nut that holds the metal tubes right? That would give you more room to work with... But when I had the manifold off I cleaned the inlet for the tube, installed the new O-Ring on the tube and lubed with a little 10-30... slid right into place.. :wink:

Sometimes they can be a Pain tho.. I have been where you are before..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi 1999 SLE
I'm assuming the L27 and LG3 have the same steel coolant tube with a horrible O ring issue. What my friend and I did is we picked up a non-GM O ring at Auto Zone and got some very long rubber hose. We found the right hose size and slid it on with some insane amount of penetrating oil and whatever else I had. We're not sure the O ring stayed in place either, but it's a lot easier to work with for some reason. Of course, I'm assuming you got GM OE parts and not generic stuff from some local auto place. Either way, two hose clamps next to each other ultimately finish off the job.

68 Chevy C-10 - Free truck! Needs parts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:40 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

If anyone understood the post above, could you translate for me please?
I'm trying to figure it out, really I am, but it's not working.

Finally broke down and went to the local GM dealer and got the $5.00 OEM o-ring. :angry7:
Slipped right in like it should and didn't leak, so that's a bonus.

Took the car out for a drive, parked in a nice clean spot for about 5 minutes, backed up and there was a puddle of water. :angry4: Got out and looked, sure enough a steady drip from near the front passenger side.

Drove back home, opened the hood, looked, and looked, and looked some more, can't find any leak. I'm hoping it was just spillage from when I filled the rad. Having a beer (or two) then I'll go out and check again.

I did notice an improvement in throttle response and a smoother idle. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:56 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
The coolant elbows on the 94 SSEi are like yours John. I used some silicone sealant smeared around the O-ring and pipe to assist in the sealing process. No leaks so far.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Couple of things I noticed when I had the car in pieces.

1 - old gaskets looked exactly like the Felpro gaskets I installed, so I'm fairly certain that they have been replaced sometime in the past.

2 - No wonder my trans was heating up (before installing external cooler), all the fins on the internal trans cooler are filled with gunk from what I could see from looking down the fill hole. Makes me wonder what the rest of the radiator guts look like. Might be time to take it out and have it chemically cleaned.

3 - Now I know why this stuff happens at mini meets. Things would have gone a lot faster and smoother if I was working with someone who has done it before.

4 - I still have one nut left over (13 mm head). I can't find where it goes and I give up looking.