It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:52 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Just shy of 34k miles. 2001, Midnight Blue Metallic. That said, it may be low miles but it IS a 23 year old GM product that started life in Illinois and then moved to West Virginia. It rides fantastic, body's super tight. The interior is likewise in great shape. It's got the black interior. Floormats are a bit dirty and the driver's side heated seat button came unattached from the console and is pushed inside of it... but I want to do a 2002+ center console conversion anyway. A previous owner (not the one I bought it from) added the GXP faux-carbon fiber vents and door handle surrounds. Only major downside on the interior is the fabric on the sunroof cover started drooping so it was removed. Just have to get that reupholstered.

Previous owner had to rebuild the supercharger snout apparently and put on a ZZPerformance 3.6 pulley while he was at it. However he did point out it doesn't have a tune or any other mods he knows of. Gotta be honest, at less than highway speeds and giving it any decent amount of throttle the supercharger whine is super annoying. The coolant elbows have already been replaced with the metal ones. That said, the car just feels like a DOG at low RPM. As if it's got almost no low-end torque. Like if you're in a car wash and you're stopped at the little speed bump at the exit, you have to push WAY more than you'd expect on the accelerator to get it over that little bump. Really obnoxious in mountain driving too, constantly upshifting while driving uphill unless you're really in the gas, then you HAVE to get really in the gas to get it to downshift just to make it up the hill even if you didn't need that much speed.

Other stuff... power steering isn't especially happy doing full-lock turns at low speed. Previous owner did say he replaced the power steering lines. The very tip of the front of the hood clearly had (has?) some rust and was painted over. The sunroof drains are clogged (shocker). The rear of the sunroof also won't push back up flush with the roof entirely when you close it. It powers forward perfectly, rises up... but while the front edge rises up fine, the rear edge catches on the roof and then drops back down maybe half an inch, so it's not really perfectly sealed. Also that plastic thingie that pops up at the front of the sunroof hole when you open it is hella broken.

Anyway, got it for a good price and most things seem like not HUGE deals, so pretty happy with it. A 3800 with that mileage should have SO much life left.

I'll have pics soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:13 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Congrats on the super low mile purchase.

I would get a scan tool with live data to see if you're getting Knock Retard where you say it feels slow.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:34 pm 
LE Member

As promised, here's pics:

It needs vacuumed pretty bad... floormats are dirty!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:52 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Nice. Still has the 01 center caps also. You'll want to hold onto those.

Sounds like it just needs a bit more maintenance and some elbow grease and it will be good to you for years to come.

Should probably return the pulley size back to stock. Shouldn't have much whine with a stock air box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 pm 
LE Member

nos4blood70 wrote:
Nice. Still has the 01 center caps also. You'll want to hold onto those.

Sounds like it just needs a bit more maintenance and some elbow grease and it will be good to you for years to come.

Should probably return the pulley size back to stock. Shouldn't have much whine with a stock air box.

Oh, I didn't know the '01 center caps were special/rare!

But yeah, I'm either going to return the pulley to stock or get the rest of the mods for a 3.6 size pulley... which on a Bonneville doesn't seem to be much since a lot of the ZZP mods only fit Grand Prix, hah. Seems like ECM, colder plugs and thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:56 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
I approve. LOL!

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.