It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:06 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
I have had my 01 SSEi since 2003. I was 16 years old. I still have my 01 SSEi. I am now 34 years old. I can understand now how people can get so attached to material things. I've had this car for over half my life. So many of my memories include this car. I went through high school, college, and marriage with this car. We've had some great times together. But she sure is getting old, and I'm torn where to go next. I spent a decent amount of money on her from 2016 to 2020 when I was actively commuting to/from work. New alternator, calipers, front/rear brake lines, rebuilt the transmission, brand new performance tires, etc. I also found some GXP interior items to spruce up the look.

But some of her issues continue to compound. The AC compressor has been busted for a while now, the motors in most of the windows don't work, the washer fluid no longer functions, and the interior upholstery is falling apart. Add this to a long list of random electrical issues over the years, and the fact that she's developed a severe rust issue conveniently in areas (some structural) that have been repaired over the years, and I'm torn as to where to go next.

Really, I think I just need some affirmation from those on the forum that what I'm doing (keeping her around because I'm sentimental and stubborn) is ridiculous and that I should cut ties and stop paying for inspection, registration, and insurance. She sits in the driveway now rarely being moved since it's too hot to drive in the summer (without AC and windows) and too unreliable in the winter. But what truly is the best option? I'm fairly certain stashing her away in a garage for 40 years hoping that an 01 Bonneville becomes a collectors item is just wishful thinking. Would stripping it and selling the parts be more lucrative than selling the car itself? I can't imagine the need/demand for Bonneville parts is that high in 2022, whereas it seems everyone is looking for a running car. What would you do?

Or perhaps someone here would be interested in taking it? It sure would make me feel better knowing that it went to someone who cares and loves for these cars rather than someone who just wants an old junker to drive for a few years.

Here is a thread with some old pics of her in her glory days: your-ride-pics-and-videos/topic42163.html

And here are some photos of what she's become. It's difficult to tell in these photos, but that rust on the side runs through inside the door all the way to the middle of the car. :sad:

If anyone is interested in taking a look, we're in Franklin, Massachusetts and would love to have some company and share in Bonneville memories!

Black 2001 SSEi | Performance: INTENSE FWI, INTENSE Shift Kit, INTENSE 180* Thermostat, GXP Calipers (custom powder coated), EBC GD Sport Drilled and Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff Brake Pads Aesthetic: Debadged | Cleared Front and Rear Corners | Red Rear Turn Signals | Bright White LED Reverse Lights | Black Centerpiece | Black Pontiac Emblem | 35% Huper Optik Tint | GXP Interior (Carbon Fiber Vents and Handle Inserts, Stainless Handles, Shifter, Black Buttons for Windows and Cockpit, Cupholders) | Hood and Rear Quarterpanel Herpes :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:11 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
Sell it to Andrew, aka harofreak00. That way he can get various parts off of the car and help other Bonneville owners keep their cars on the road.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
luke_dubs wrote:
Sell it to Andrew, aka harofreak00. That way he can get various parts off of the car and help other Bonneville owners keep their cars on the road.

No parts car is worth a 3000 mile trip at $5/gallon :wink:

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler