Post subject: C/V axle compendium
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
So I've embarked on another side quest; the C/V axle compendium!

The intent is to determine all of the mix and match combinations of axles I can come up with, mostly as a resource for drivetrain swaps. It's not a simple list of inboard and outboard spline count and compressed length. The intent is to determine which transmissions used which tripot tulips, which tripots fit which tulips, a comprehensive list of center shafts by diameter, length and spline combination, and each of the different Rpezza joints used for which wheel bearings (body specific.)

I'll give you an example of what I'm looking for, from one I know 70% of the data: The 97-99 H-body.
LF: 4t65e, 4t65e-HD. 81.5mm female tripot, 34 spline by xxOD. Compressed length 20.8125". Center shaft inner spline xx X xxOD x xxPA, 26mm OD, outer spline 32 x 25.4OD x 30PA. 91mm Rpezza, 33 spline xxOD.

And, yada yada yada. While I don't really expect to find that there's a combination for every swap; I would like to establish just how many standard components are in the various GM axles, and knowing that most of these are tier one components how many carried over across the big three. And of course, none of the various manufacturers or re-manufacturers are willing to share this kind of data - and 99% of people don't care anyway.

One of the reasons I'm interested in this, is that the STS front axle made goof burgers on me this weekend. While swapping over the front struts one of the inner tripots popped out of the tulip inside the boot. I couldn't for the life of me get it back in. I broke down, popped open the boot, and lo and behold it uses the exact same tripot that I got to see all over the cobalt axles from when I was screwing around with the SSEi stuff. Very small considering the power it's meant to hold, also filled with gear oil and a 'bonus stock' clip that was making it not go back in. But an interesting lesson non-the-less, as the engineer in me starts to realize that we've all been foolishly stuffing our Rpezza and tripot joins with moly grease which is not as good at flowing through the joint, the result is worn out C/Vs in my older cars but like-new in the STS after 200k miles...

Anyhow, I digress. Anybody that ever has to replace a C/V axle, if you have the inclination to help this endevour and is willing to get a little greasy, go ahead and hit reply with the dimensions (I can walk you through how to take them, all you need is a micrometer).

And before people tell me to go check out the fiero forums.... I have, the data is final results and not dimensions!

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type