It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to Say Goodbye
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 SLE
Hi All,

It is with great sadness that I must tell you that the time has come for me to sell (or donate, not sure which yet) my beloved 1998 Galaxy Silver Bonneville SLE. This car was my buddy since 2001--even named him Benny after Benjamin Bonneville. It is just that he is no longer reliable (stalling a lot, rusting up again, etc.). I am afraid that my brake lines or fuel lines will break again, and I cannot take the stalling anymore. So why don't I just fix the car? This is really because my husband has had (and still has) the say-so regarding decisions with the vehicles. He neglected the car until it got to the point that in addition to the big issues there are too many little things are wrong with it now. Two power windows no longer work, the driver's seat is no longer secure and moves around, etc, etc. I am not badmouthing my husband; just telling it like it is. He can read this if he likes and he knows how I feel. I think the problem is that he went and bought a 2004 E Series Mercedes Benz in addition to the other 3 daily drivers (ridiculous!) that we have so the Bonnie got forgotten and there was nothing that I could do about it. (I don't like the Benz.)

I am driving the 2010 Dodge Charger SXT now, and while, yes, it is newer and "nicer" in a lot of ways, I still believe that the Bonneville is a better made car. Let's just put it this way: I would like to see if the Charger holds up for 21 years or 100,000+ miles without needing major mechanical repairs. In addition, the Bonnie's front-wheel drive was great in snow, which I will miss. I won't even be able to drive the Charger in snow.

Just wanted to tell you. Thanks for all of your help through the years. Bye Benny. :(

Sincerely,
Cat =^..^=

Post subject: Re: Time to Say Goodbye
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:16 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
It's a Chrysler, it'll fall apart just sitting there.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
The end comes for all!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Just a little update. I still have the Bonnie because somebody is dragging his feet. He has finally decided to donate it, though; we just can't decide where. I am thinking the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Good idea?

I will keep you posted....

CMNTMXR57: I agree!
nos4blood70: Did you ever consider writing for Hallmark cards? LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I donated my Bonnie to Wheels for Wishes (Make-A-Wish Foundation). On Sunday, I cleaned out my car, removed the plates, reggie, etc., and I cried a whole lot while I did so. Seventeen years is a long time to have a car, and it was such a good car--lots of fond memories. The last song that played on the radio was Led Zeppelin's All My Love, so, being a woman, I found that meaningful, touching and so perfect as our farewell song.

On Monday the flatbed driver came to take "Benny" away, and he was just so nice and so understanding that he made it a lot easier for me. (Thank you, Jason!)
I will try to post a last picture of my car on the flatbed. Everyone says that it still looked so good, why did I let it go. It was time. I just hope that someone buys it and that it doesn't go for scrap.

Cathy :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:18 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

My friend who is a car dealer and also the person I bought the Bonneville from back in 2002 (for $10,000.00) checked the VIN and found out that my Bonneville will be auctioned on Wednesday. He sent a picture of it in a lot with all of the other cars. I felt happy that it is getting auctioned instead of scrapped but also really sad that I let it go.
I will let you know what it does.
Cat =^..^=

(Are any of you Arrowheads even reading my posts?) :dontknow:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I'm sure there are a few readers, but forum traffic seems to be way down now that the cars are all getting older and people are moving on. I have an almost unhealthy sentimental attachment to all my cars and understand how hard it is when one has to move on. At least it's going to auction so there's a good chance someone else will continue to enjoy it for a while.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:05 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005SLE CRIMSON
2005SLE PEARL
1975 MONTE CARLO
I have noticed a huge drop in inventory on the Bonnevilles in the junk yards.
I reminds me of my Monte Carlos years ago when suddenly they were all gone.
I have to remind myself that it is now over 14 years since the last Bonneville was made.
May 27 2005 was when the last one rolled off the assembly line.
Also only about 12,000 Bonnevilles were sold in 2005.(that is why I wanted the 2005 model year)
In the last year I have picked up (2) 2005SLE that are in great shape that I hope to be driving for quite a while.
Now that my wife and myself are retired the miles we put on are way down.
Also when the weather sucks this winter I will stay home a day or two until the roads clear up.
What makes me feel good is that my last (3) Bonnevilles are still on the road.
My son has one,my neighbor has one and my brother in law has the third.
My brother in law has my old 2001SLE that now has 354K on it.
Motor never touched and transmission was done at 99K.
I really love my Bonnevilles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:31 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Traffic here may have gone down because of the active bonneville group on Facebook. TBH, it's been ages since I've been on my computer, which is the only time I visit this site ( Everything else is on my phone ).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:41 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Hi,

Just a brief follow-up to what finally happened with my car. I was told by my car dealer friend that my car sold the first week. He did not know what it sold for or who bought it. He said that he would try to find out, but he never mentioned it again. I just let it go, happy with the belief that someone bought it and fixed it up to drive. But then his brother said that it is possible that someone bought it for scrap. Does that make sense? Anyway, I felt terrible. I miss the car a lot, but I had no choice because fixing it was not an option anymore. (I was kind of hoping that it would come back, like Christine. LOL!)

I have a picture of my car the day that it was picked up. It is on the flatbed. I really wanted you guys to see my car. Is there anyone who would let me email the picture to them and then maybe they could post it for me? I have a lot of trouble when it comes to doing anything with photos other than emailing them or texting them.

Thanks again for all of your help through the years.

Cat =^..^=