It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunroof Drain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:23 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2003 Bonneville SSEI
Hi folks, my 03 ssei had the floor rotted out in the rear behind the drivers seat. I thought I read once upon a time that this is due to the sun roof drain being clogged. I am not aware how to get at the hose so any direction would be appreciated. Once the floor is repaired I would like to disable the sunroof switch and never use it again which would mean sealing it up with silicone neatly. Not sure where to start though :dontknow:

Post subject: Re: Sunroof Drain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:34 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Sealing the sunroof really isn't necessary once you fix the drain issue. Water naturally moves toward the rear floor pans. Keep in mind, there are more sources of water leaks in these cars than you can count with all ten fingers. Don't kid yourself into thinking this is likely your only point of entry. I had a 2002 SE with a lake in the rear floor. It didn't have a sunroof. My 2004 GXP had countless areas where water entered including body sealant that was not completely applied to the firewall, body plugs in the floor, leaking water deflectors in the doors, a leak at the top of a rear shock tower, a bad trunk lid seal along with one or two others. There are some others experienced that I didn't such as the seal around the CHMSL.

When I repaired my sunroof drains, I took the entire dash assembly out as a unit. Because I had done this before, it only took a little over an hour to remove. Most people will access the drains from under the dash by removing some trim, the park brake pedal and cutting a flap into the sound insulator that covers drain access.

Look here under Interior - Water Leaks...
2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Yeah, I have no sunroof either. I've had inner door seals leak, the rubber seal around the door itself leak, cracked trunk sealant leaking in, center reflector leaking out back...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I think I would rather just seal off the sunroof than go through tearing the car apart to get to the drains, I don't need the sunroof, providing thats the culprit. I will check the door seals when the weather turns warmer here in Chicagoland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

If the inner door seals have never been fixed, they are definitely leaking, and probably a fair amount by now. The drains themselves aren't too bad to get to either.

The weather sucks right now, but fixing all of this stuff is an afternoon's work at most if you take your time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:46 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

nos4blood70 wrote:
If the inner door seals have never been fixed, they are definitely leaking, and probably a fair amount by now. The drains themselves aren't too bad to get to either.

The weather sucks right now, but fixing all of this stuff is an afternoon's work at most if you take your time.

ah, some encouragement might be just what I need. Never did anything with door seals or even suspected that would cause the problem. Thanks. Hey, did you finish up school? Doctors or Masters?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I don't mind dropping by to assist.

I did finish school, just a Bachelor's though... Haha Once I make some money in the future I may go back for my Master's but all in good time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:26 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

nos4blood70 wrote:
I don't mind dropping by to assist.

I did finish school, just a Bachelor's though... Haha Once I make some money in the future I may go back for my Master's but all in good time.

its a long way out here but, might take you up on that. I do have a bigger paying project that I need done if you know anyone interested. It's dropping the tank on my motorhome and installing new pump and filler hoses. Big tank (70 gallons) but it empty. I have all the tools to do the job. My 19 year old Grandson was going to help me but haven't heard back. LOL