It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement Parts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
This is just an informal survey to give me ideas on things I may want to buy while there may still be a chance of finding them...

What is the silliest/craziest/least purposeful replacement part you've ever bought to improve the appearance or functionality of your car? I'll start...

A new lifting/jacking decal for my spare tire cover because the original has wrinkled a little over time.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Post subject: Re: Replacement Parts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I went through the effort of finding a green LED light for the key ring. Lol Went through many different bulbs before I found one that wasn't tooooo bright.

There is probably a good list of other useless stuff I've done to the car, but I have a feeling you are asking about OEM stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Putting the black plastic thing on a set of GM keys for a vehicle that was made long before GM did that normally.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

nos4blood70 wrote:
I went through the effort of finding a green LED light for the key ring. Lol Went through many different bulbs before I found one that wasn't tooooo bright.

There is probably a good list of other useless stuff I've done to the car, but I have a feeling you are asking about OEM stuff.

It's a neat mod, for sure. I helped Andrew do this to his. I don't recall what colour LED we used (blue, I think). It was about ten years ago now so my memory is a little foggy. I'd considered doing it to mine as we, but like you said, I'm kind of staying OEM.

CMNTMXR57 wrote:
Putting the black plastic thing on a set of GM keys for a vehicle that was made long before GM did that normally.

That's kind of cool. I would never have thought about that.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 95 SSEi
05 GXP
I think I told this before, but I bought a set of OEM embroidered "SSEi" floormats
from the dealer and then hid them away in my basement so I would have
a brand new set after they stopped making them.

Oh, I continued to buy replacement mats as needed (until no longer available) and
forgot all about the stashed away ones.

I found them a few years ago and the rubber nubs on the back of them were so
dry rotted that they all broke off the first few weeks I had them in the vehicle.
Now they slide everywhere and are basically worthless.

Black 16 Traverse (original owner)90K miles
Black 15 Lacrosse (some nice lady put first 15K on it)43K miles

"You can have one in any color as long as it's black" - H. Ford

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Wow, that sucks and would be very frustrating! What's unfortunate is that I have a shelf full of various floor mats for my cars. I'm going to be pretty upset if mine suffer the same end. Many are brand new, a few are lightly used.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:17 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Buying a perfect condition NOS headliner board for my 95 only to strip it and redo it in suede.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

95naSTA wrote:
Buying a perfect condition NOS headliner board for my 95 only to strip it and redo it in suede.

I'm probably one of few people that really don't think you're too far off base buying a new one to do this! I would LOVE to find a NOS headliner for my car. I tried to buy one many years ago from the dealer, but they had already been discontinued.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

ddalder wrote:

CMNTMXR57 wrote:

That's kind of cool. I would never have thought about that.

Yup, this is how they use to come;

Then sometime in the late 80's early 90's they added this little black piece of plastic that slips over. I think it gave things a more finished and more "soft" feel in the hands when using the keys.

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
A number of things, but the least purposeful? A new set of door and trunk badges.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Speaking of "replacement parts", years back when I had the GXP, my CD Changer in back jacked up so I got another. In the process of getting my discs out, I "disassembled" the old one and after I got my discs, I realized "this thing ain't going back together..." :), and I put it in a box. Anyway, I found it two weekends ago cleaning out the garage. Just curious if anyone here wants it for parts? Otherwise, it's going in the recycling bin.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:13 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
Least purposeful for me lol......I got 2 different emblems that said "V6" (with the 6 inside of the V) and one that had "3.8L" in black lettering inserted into a small chrome rectangle. (I placed one on either side of the "Bonneville" script lettering on the trunk.) Not even a year after, the V6 emblem was corroded past the point of repair and half of the black lettering fell out of the chrome block. I then proceeded to take them off, and the script "Bonneville" is all that remains.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

J Wikoff wrote:
A number of things, but the least purposeful? A new set of door and trunk badges.

I really like the look of a new, crisp badge. That's something I can really appreciate!

CMNTMXR57 wrote:
Speaking of "replacement parts", years back when I had the GXP, my CD Changer in back jacked up so I got another. In the process of getting my discs out, I "disassembled" the old one and after I got my discs, I realized "this thing ain't going back together..." :), and I put it in a box. Anyway, I found it two weekends ago cleaning out the garage. Just curious if anyone here wants it for parts? Otherwise, it's going in the recycling bin.

Normally I'd want to take you up on this, but I have two spare changers on the shelf (one is brand new). I had a problem with my original jamming up as well. I wanted to get it replaced while under warranty, but the dealer suggested I replace the magazine first. It looked perfectly fine to me, but... After I did, I never had another problem. I was actually shocked this solved the problem.

luke_dubs wrote:
Least purposeful for me lol......I got 2 different emblems that said "V6" (with the 6 inside of the V) and one that had "3.8L" in black lettering inserted into a small chrome rectangle. (I placed one on either side of the "Bonneville" script lettering on the trunk.) Not even a year after, the V6 emblem was corroded past the point of repair and half of the black lettering fell out of the chrome block. I then proceeded to take them off, and the script "Bonneville" is all that remains.

I'm guessing these weren't OEM badges from other GM vehicles? As expensive as they are, OEM badges are definitely more robust than cheap knock-offs. There are a few aftermarket badges I almost considered (but didn't given I'm pretty hardcore OEM). The quality was definitely a concern.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:28 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
On the 3800, oem vacuum lines from the T in the LIM to the MAP sensors and the FPR and BBV. Could have spent $5 and 30 seconds at autozone to piecemeal the broke *shoot* back together, but that rubber T fitting looks so much better.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

CMNTMXR57 wrote:

Quote:
Normally I'd want to take you up on this, but I have two spare changers on the shelf (one is brand new). I had a problem with my original jamming up as well. I wanted to get it replaced while under warranty, but the dealer suggested I replace the magazine first. It looked perfectly fine to me, but... After I did, I never had another problem. I was actually shocked this solved the problem.

Ok, in the trash is goes.

Daily Drivers: