It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
So, I just bought a 2003 Bonneville SLE to replace my Bonneville SSE that was just totaled. I am trying to replace my cabin air filter, but I think the previous owner put a plate over the air filter holder so you can't access the cabin air filter location. Does anyone know how to work around this, maybe replacing it through the glovebox? If possible, post a picture of the air filters location so I know if the plate is suppose to be there or not. thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
The filter is not accessed from inside the car. There is a removable cover at the base of the windshield near the passenger wiper blade. Two tabs pull back toward the glass and the cover lifts off. Not all cars had this option installed. If it didn't, you will need the plastic frame the filter clips into as well. You'll be able to tell once you remove the cover.

Here's the cover as seen from the engine compartment. If there is something under the cover blocking access, you'll have to dig in and see what and why.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm 
LE Member

Could you post a picture of the filter with the cover off? that would help me a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:17 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Hopefully someone can help with that. I've got hundreds (if not a couple thousand) pictures of my car in various states of disassembly and I can't find one of that! My Bonneville is at a storage facility for the winter or I'd simply go take one for you. Sorry :(

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 am 
LE Member

It's all good man! I appreciate your help! I'm sure you'll be helping me in the future!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Push the two tabs and remove the cover. There's another tab inside which release the filter and it's bracket. All these parts are brittle plastic, so be careful with them. Patience over force.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
There's a techinfo article regarding changing the filter. The pictures are no longer view-able, but the text explains it pretty well.
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/care-and-feeding/topic13626.html

If you have Chrome or Firefox, you can view the pictures by installing a plug-in as explained toward the bottom of this post:
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/announces/topic50778.html

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:30 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Archon wrote:
If you have Chrome or Firefox, you can view the pictures by installing a plug-in as explained toward the bottom of this post:
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/announces/topic50778.html

I have been unable to do this. I added the extension to both browser but now it's not working in either Chrome or Firefox. It used to but it seems something has changed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
LE Member

Found out today that some Bonnevilles come with a plate over the cabin air filter hole and others have the filter and its frame. I was told that if you have the plate, you will need to buy the filter frame and the filter. Then cut the plate out and maybe another plate that is blocking the air flow, then insert the frame and filter and you're on your way... Hopefully, it will be that easy. If anyone could provide me with any help that would be great!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:33 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

That makes no sense. To have a cover over that hole seems like it would block air flow. Whether there's a filter or not, that's the entry point for air into the vehicle HVAC system. GM stopped installing the frames and filters in any trim level for 2004 and 05 (at least). I'm not sure if it was still factory installed in the 2003 SSEi or not. My car, which I purchased as a dealer demo, did not have the filter (again, it was only available in my year as a "dealer installed option"). It had no plate, simply wide open under the cover you see in my photo above.

Where did you get this information?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 03SSEI, 00SSEI, 92SE(sold), 93SSE/SC, 87GTA, 01TA
My 03 did not have one.
I only had to get the plastic frame and it went right in with no other work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Never seen a plate in there, and none of the Bonnes (4 Bonnes, all 2000+) came with OEM cabin filters, at least none that were there when I had them. Should be just a matter of getting the filter with the bracket and finessing it in there. I'd like a picture of what you're working with.

How to post pics: your-ride-pics-and-videos/topic46080.html

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
MY 2000 SSEi has the plastic filter frame and the molded cover.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

In 2000 and for a few years (again, I don't know the cutoff), all SSEi's got the cabin air filter installed at the factory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm 
LE Member

Well, as you can see, hopefully, there is a plate blocking the hole for the cabin air filter. It is fixed to the frame/firewall of the engine bay with heavy duty epoxy. I tried to use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. I would advise against using this because the epoxy will find its way to your fan then the fan will push the epoxy into the car. Plus since the epoxy was extremely tacky I broke four cut-off wheels. I finished by using a utility knife or a x-acto knife. I would suggest taking the plastic panel that runs across the car, under the hood, off. It makes installing the filter much easier. then just slide the filter and frame in the hole then I bolted it down because it seemed like there were bolt holes that lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:32 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Can't see a picture...