It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:30 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1988 SSE
The electronic trunk release heated up and started a fire in the trunk melting all wiring and burning the carpet and plastic. I would have thought a fuse should have blown before heating up and starting a fire. Melted the cable so the trunk would not open with the button or with the key. When smoke started coming into the back seat area of the car, opened up trap door in back seat to trunk area and flames were about 10 inches high. Used some squirt bottles to put out flames and called Fire Dept. They pried the trunk open with crowbar and finished putting out all fire and carpet. Anyone know why this would have happened or how to prevent it from happening again.
Thanks for any info or help!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
That's terrible! It sounds like there is quite a bit of damage between the fire and having the trunk pried open. Just curious... did you have and/or try a key to open the trunk?

Start by checking the fuse for the circuit the trunk release is on to ensure it's the correct amperage and no one has modified the circuit in any way (adding other accessories, etc).

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:23 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1988 SSE
I tried the key to open the trunk with the key, but the key switch attaches to a cable that goes to the trunk latch release. When the fire started, it melted the cable so the key would not open the trunk. The fuse is correct and no accessories have been added to the car. I spoke with GM claim representative and he requested I send photos of the car and the fire report from the Fire Department that responded. He mentioned several times that the car was 19 years old, but I told him it could have killed someone if the fire had spread and could have burned down the house the car was parked beside.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:02 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

You should also contact the NHTSA.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:03 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
ddalder wrote:
You should also contact the NHTSA.

This is a MUST DO ACTION ITEM. - BC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
I have to admit, this is a first that I know of.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I suspect the fire department did not identify the root cause. These can sometimes be tricky. We had a new Tahoe burn up at work and ended up hiring a fire investigator familiar with this type of event to identify the ultimate cause. As it turned out, my thoughts were correct only I don't have certification in this field to put anything official on paper. Ours was not an OEM fault.