It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Just to be clear, in a service department, there are always "terminals" that are live with the GM Tech Center, that can be accessed for bios, flash, calibration, and other VIN specific updates, as well as running GMSI (GM Service Information), in what at one time was a program called "Dealerworld" One side of it was GMSI, the other was GMVIS (GM Vehicle Information System), another GMNASPO (Parts).

Meaning, if I had to do an odometer change, I would go to the car, download it's pertinent data (VIN#, calibration ID, Bios, etc, etc...), Go back to the Terminal download it in to the terminal, and then the GM Tech center would send back authorization and import that in to the tool, from there, I would go back to the car, and do what was necessary. If the terminal was near, I could just run the Tech2 as a pass through entity. Basically what I'm getting at, is the Tech2, regardless of actual way it does it, was the facilitator between everything.

MDI, builds upon the Tech2 "pass-through" methodology, using the terminal as the facilitator and LAN controller of the entire process, that the actual MDI unit is merely the communication device (or "slave") between the car and the terminal. In some ways, it is actually faster as you are eliminating steps and eliminating potential communication issues with the tool, but you lose portability power. Meaning, you're more tied to the terminals in the service department. Whereas with your T2, you can use it anywhere, anytime and just plug in, and do what you need to do short of needing the tech center authorizations. You're not tied to your local service department. This is the main reason I am not a fan of MDI.

At least this is the best way I can describe it in summary fashion. MDI was just coming in, in it's earliest forms, as I was leaving. So I haven't had as much exposure to it, which is the other reason I prefer the ole Tech2... Familiarity.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:24 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 Chevy Impala LS
CMNTMXR57 wrote:
Just to be clear, in a service department, there are always "terminals" that are live with the GM Tech Center, that can be accessed for bios, flash, calibration, and other VIN specific updates, as well as running GMSI (GM Service Information), in what at one time was a program called "Dealerworld" One side of it was GMSI, the other was GMVIS (GM Vehicle Information System), another GMNASPO (Parts).

Meaning, if I had to do an odometer change, I would go to the car, download it's pertinent data (VIN#, calibration ID, Bios, etc, etc...), Go back to the Terminal download it in to the terminal, and then the GM Tech center would send back authorization and import that in to the tool, from there, I would go back to the car, and do what was necessary. If the terminal was near, I could just run the Tech2 as a pass through entity. Basically what I'm getting at, is the Tech2, regardless of actual way it does it, was the facilitator between everything.

MDI, builds upon the Tech2 "pass-through" methodology, using the terminal as the facilitator and LAN controller of the entire process, that the actual MDI unit is merely the communication device (or "slave") between the car and the terminal. In some ways, it is actually faster as you are eliminating steps and eliminating potential communication issues with the tool, but you lose portability power. Meaning, you're more tied to the terminals in the service department. Whereas with your T2, you can use it anywhere, anytime and just plug in, and do what you need to do short of needing the tech center authorizations. You're not tied to your local service department. This is the main reason I am not a fan of MDI.

At least this is the best way I can describe it in summary fashion. MDI was just coming in, in it's earliest forms, as I was leaving. So I haven't had as much exposure to it, which is the other reason I prefer the ole Tech2... Familiarity.

In my shop, we switch out clusters from a car taken off the road to one where there is an issue quite a bit..having the ability to update the odom would be great. Having one of these T2 clones will enable us to do that? If so, what all else would you need? Sorry for the questions but just used to using an Auto Enginuity laptop scanner for all our repairs, totally unfamiliar with T2 and its procedures.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

You can do it with a T2, but you need authorization from GM (a code if I recall), to make any odometer mileage changes, which means you have to be online with the GM Tech Center in Warren.

You can't just go in and change mileage. That's the equivalent of rolling back mileage and of course fraud if that is the attempt to deceive. I know what you're doing, as one Impala pukes, you're just putting parts into one that still runs. not an issue. But GM has to put some layer of security to keep it from being a key stroke away. Plus mileage is usually maintained in ~3 other components in the vehicle. Not just the cluster/IPC.

If one could do it, I'd reset my mileage on the GTO back to 1 mile after every drive. :)

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1964 Pontiac Parisienne Custom Sport Convertible
Just got a membership to comment in this thread! I've just bought a clone tech2 for my Cobalt & Ion Redline (hasn't arrived yet)

About the "online with GM" code authorizations, I thought 07 & earlier gm generally didn't have that. Like for example I have an 06 Cobalt and I had to get a new oem radio. I know that any old tech2 can connect to it and reset the radio's VIN without talking to gm's server (and of course to do that you need some kind of gm subscription which I can't get). I know that 08+ Cobalt's do need to talk to gm's servers to unlock the radio's VIN.

I also want to reprogram an ECM & BCM from another 06 to put into my car and I don't believe I need to have any connection to gm's servers to do that, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

That's not what I'm talking about. I can reset radios all day and night. I've done it for several here as a matter of fact as well as many GTO's, G8's, etc...

But doing anything that requires an authorization from GM, you can not do. Some of these things like bios downloads, anything with mileage (clusters, etc), etc.

It isn't always model year specific. It's can be platform specific too. What is a requirement for my CAN network setup om either the Caddy or Impala, isn't the same for Bonneville's or my GTO, or Suburban which are regular OBDII.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1964 Pontiac Parisienne Custom Sport Convertible
Oh ok. So it looks like i'll just have to experiment with my individual car to see what things I can do with and without gm authorization. I know all cobalts/ions are canbus, so i'll need to use that CANdi adapter. Cobalts started using a 32 bit ecm in 2007 and it seems like the newer they are the less you can do without gm authorization.

Tis2000 is the software program that you need to make actual programming changes to a car, correct? Doesn't make sense to my why the Tech2 doesn't have all the capabilities by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:41 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Pretty much.

As to the TIS2000 software, I believe that is what comes with the clone to install on your PC. Mine is a real Tech2 that I used in service, which our TIS terminals in the department had the software professionally installed. So when I needed to access it, it was just done simply as either a pass through, or as a facilitator (meaning you'd get the neccessary info from the vehicle, go to the terminal, upload/download, go back to the vehicle and process). I just plugged into the terminal and it did the rest. I didn't have to worry about the software.

I run GM Service Information on my PC at home, but it doesn't allow/have connections to anything in Warren. It's just a program using the *shoot* VMWare program to run.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003
Tech2 clone work fine, I got first one is following this forum links,good recommend

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6 ... anner.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:47 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003
harofreak00 wrote:
I saw another forum member talking about getting a Tech2 for $300 and I was pretty skeptical, but after he posted that it was working fine, I had to try one.

I ordered one from AliExpress on July 10th and it arrived on July 19th via DHL. I paid $305 shipped. This is the package I received from China.

Opened it up.

Taking it out.

All of it out and unpackaged.

Connector ends.

Software CD.

Apply your own stickers!

CANdi module and cables

The new clone on the left, and my original legit Tech2 on the right. (stickers not applied yet)

Back side.

Bottom port.

Right side.

Top side.

Left side.

The back side after applying stickers.

The VCI module pulled out.

The 32mb PCMCIA data card pulled out.

Booted up in the car.

Displaying the Misfire Graphic screen.

Displaying the Engine Data 1 screen.

My overall impression after playing with it for a few days. Wow! This thing is cheap, works great, and is of the same build quality as my original. Some of the few differences that I immediately noticed are the buttons feel different and the screen is much brighter. The buttons on my original have a distinct "click" feel to them, and the clones are mushy. However I found that the more that I press them, the clickier they get. The screen being brighter is a plus.

The only thing I'm disappointed by that I didn't get the case. The other forum member stated that the price would be much more if you got the case. I wish I had done some more research because I found several sellers selling the same thing with the case for around the same price. However, I did feel more comfortable buying from the same source as the other member.

So what am I going to do with it? Well, having multiple Tech2's would be handy (one at home, one at the shop), but I think I'm going to give it to my Dad. He's been talking about getting one because he is jealous of mine. I'm not going to tell him it's a clone and see if he notices.

Would I recommend this to the ordinary backyard mechanic? YES! With most average scantools being around $150-200 to get ABS and other functions, spending another $100 to being able to access every module and system in the car makes it totally worth it. Most dealers charge a $100+ diagnostic fee just to hook theirs up to your car, what a joke. You can do this yourself and learn more about how your car's computer works. Buy one now!

aliexpress link is dead, I have search online for hours,find this one at best price - 302usd for all (290 good reviews make it trustworthy)
u know that,it must be clone one,but it's what I need.
http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesale/ ... ckage.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6