It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:52 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 SE
Hello Owners,

I am looking to buy a 1996 Bonneville SE with 125k miles. It looks to be in pretty good shape, except the following:

1. The a/c may need to be recharged soon
2. The car pulls slightly to the right
3. Slight cosmetic issues: dent in front bumper, paint fading on passenger door

As I have never owned a Bonneville, I wondered if this car would be a good investment. The asking price was originally $2000, now down to $1700. I have not yet seen or driven the car, just looked at pictures and talked briefly with owner. He says it runs fine, all mechanical things work. What should I look for? Is his asking price right? What all does it take to recharge the a/c? What about the car pulling to the right---is that a minor alignment issue, or sign of a bigger problem?

I just need the car to be a reliable, local-area, daily driver.

Thanks!
Mark in Texas

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 96 SE
i have 96 SE. has been very reliable. now has 180K. may use a pint of oil between 3K oil changes. transmission reverse gear failed at about 178K. replaced with a rebuilt for 1500. ok since. recharging AC can be as simple as a $50 can of freon/leak sealer/oil with gauge from walmart. also could be leaky compressor, evap, or condenser and could run $1000 depending on whether you do work yourself. pulling right could be simple as alignment or perhaps slack tire or even a bad tire but if it is suspension your could be looking at major expense. as for my 96 SE, i have had no major suspension problems.

as for me, i am happy with the 96 SE durability and ride qualities.

PS. check underside for major rust. some owners that live in snow/road salt have had major problems with with rust that even though upper body and running gear was good, car had to be scrapped. if it lived it's life in Texas, probably no problem with rust.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:26 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Take it for a ride and make sure it behaves properly, shifts nicely, doesn't overheat.. etc etc.

Check all the fluids. See if the lower intake gaskets have been replaced and the upper intake manifold as well. Those are the key areas on the L36 motor, which you will find in the SE in question.

AC is easily recharged, but it begs to question as to why it needs to in the first place. Sounds like there's a leak, which might be hard to track down.

Pulling to a direction might indicate low tire pressure or the need of an alignment.