It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Finished up the headers and holy crap what a difference they made. Car pulls harder and it sounds deeper than before. There is a minor leak at one of the flanges that I’ll adrress later. That took way longer than I wanted so it’ll be a next weekend project.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:00 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
After reading up on a few error codes, I ordered some parts from RockAuto. Installed a new Idle Air Control Valve on the Bonneville and wow. The engine feels much happier. I didn't really expect much of anything and was pleasantly surprised.

(I ordered one for the Camaro too, went to change it and the rusted old screw snapped right off. Time to get out the drill again.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Changed the diff fluid in the GTO because I suspected a leak but it may have been an old one since the correct amount of fluid came out.... Then I chased down a few exhaust leaks that were caused by the headers. Rotated the tires too.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Started doing things to the new whip.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
We had just a light dusting of snow the past couple of days. Today I went out to brush it off so I can continue to enjoy its beautiful, glowing shine.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I HATE SNOW!

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Where in the *fook* has a foot of snow in October?! Gah!

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005SLE CRIMSON
2005SLE PEARL
1975 MONTE CARLO
Looks like more than a dusting!
Snow on October 2nd.
I ALSO HATE SNOW!!!!
Snow means salt and salt means RUST.
I can hardly wait.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:22 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Right. It's not so much the snow, it's the salt that gets put down... But still not a fan of snow...

I was in Franklin (at Ewald) picking up the new Whip Monday night.

Anyway, he's up thar in Canada Ehh.. That was probably a picture from June.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

We never really know what to expect here. In a couple of days, we got more than three times what we normally see for the entire month of October (in excess of 33cm / 13 inches). I live in Calgary and because we're so close to the Rocky Mountains, we're often surprised by the unexpected.

They are starting to use things like beet juice (from what I understand) as an anti-icing agent depending on temperatures. As it gets colder they use gravel, salt and calcium here. The mixture varies based on temperature. Salt and calcium certainly do cars no favours.

If I lived another 50 years and never had to brush snow off my cars or shovel another sidewalk, I'd be very happy!

What's worse is that our city Roads Department are clueless about how to manage snow. I've had endless fights with them about the incredibly stupid things they keep doing. Today was warm enough that the vast majority of snow has melted from the streets. Despite this, they have imposed a 72-hour parking ban along snow routes to come and plow the small amount left. So... I had to relocate my little gems elsewhere to avoid being ticketed and towed. The second thing I did to my Bonneville today... A change of scenery.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2005SLE PEARL
1975 MONTE CARLO
They tried beet juice a few years ago in the Milwaukee area.
It did not work or perform well at all and they stopped using it.
What they are using now is a de-icer they spray on the roads before the snow starts.
This de-icer is made of magnesium chloride.
Look this up and see what it does to your car.
It is way worse that calcium chloride.
I just can't wait for winter.
I love fall but do not like what comes after it.
The good thing is that I turned 65 and am now retired.
Just won't go out when the roads suck.
Will wait to the roads are cleaned up.
83 days till Christmas!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

They use the beet juice as a pre-treater here. That's the spray you're referring to. It helps to keep the snow and ice from adhering to the pavement surface so that it's easier on the plow and doesn't damage the road as much as the plow isn't having to scrape as hard.

We live on a court here in Elgin. Elgin will come make one sweep around the court with a belly plow on a city dump truck, but they stick to clearing the roads and defer the courts to a 3rd party contractor with smaller front loaders with the big pusher (like you see in a store parking lot). The 3rd party contractor hires absolute idiots at snow removal. I even had a South Elgin plow driver watch them and after they left one day drove down and asked me about the comedy routine he just saw.

You start at the court opening, on the outside perimeter of the court, angling your blade in towards the center, and go around and around and around each time moving in closer to the center and at each pass of the court opening, dump the snow off. Once you've gotten the entire court cleaned, come out to the court opening, and shove the stuff you dumped off on each pass, up into the center island. 5 minutes tops.

These moroffs come in zig one way, dump the snow off in your yard over your clean sidewalks, then zig another way and make multiple piles in your neighbors driveway, then zig back the other way and pile a load over across the street from the court in another neighbors yard. All in all taking them 20 minutes to clear it.

So now I do our court with my 8ft straight blade on the Suburban before they even get out. Court is cleared, all snow in the island and it takes me 5 minutes. Although, I will admit last winter, the way it was snowing, I was running out of space in the island. I can only stack so high with my plow. But thankfully we had a warming spell and it melted most of it, so I had space again.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Today I started getting the Bonneville ready for winter storage on Monday. Always a sad time of year :(. What's worse is that this summer I only drove it about 1,600km / 995 miles. We had a brutal winter and spring didn't seem to start until well into 2018. This hasn't been the case, but it meant pulling my summer cars out of storage much later than usual. On top of that, we've had terrible weather throughout September and record setting snow into October. This also inhibited my "car time". There is some decent weather, at last, so I want to take this opportunity to get the car into storage clean and dry. I've got no idea how long it's going to be before the snow is back so.... Here I go!

Since I put so few kilometers on the car this year, I've taken some shortcuts I don't normally take.

In true tradition, you CAN'T work on your Bonneville without your neon lit! The picture isn't very good. All the letters are white with a blue ring around the outside. It looks much better in person.

She's up on my QuickJacks, wheels off, ready for me to get started. Usually I would fully clean and wax the wheels. This year I cleaned them up and detailed them with Meguiar's Final Inspection. I don't like leaving brake dust on through the winter.

Next it was on to the calipers. I normally remove them from the brackets to completely detail every surface, including the bracket. This year, short of time, I left them on for the detailing. There was barely a trace of brake dust anyway given the low miles this year. I also inspected the brake pads, brake lines/connections, struts & shocks, wheel hubs and gave the springs a wipe down.

I completed the annual oil change with Mobil1 5W30 and a Mobil1 M1-206 filter. Here's a picture of my oil filter adapter. No, I didn't clean or wipe it before taking the photo (except the filter gasket mating surface). It did drain over the previous night so there was absolutely nothing left.

I detailed and re-installed the panel under the front fascia. It was out in order to upgrade the forward lamp harness. Unfortunately, it turns out I didn't get this done. That's a whole other nightmare story! I'll do that in the spring so in the meantime, back together it goes! Usually when I take out push-in retainers, I replace them with a new ones. I didn't have time to get what I needed so, I simply detailed the existing ones for now.

The wheels are on and it's back in the garage after a trip to the car wash. When I get up, it'll get a wax and interior detail. I also have new wiper blades for it. Fluids are all good, along with light bulbs all around. Should be ready for the storage facility by end of day.

Once all this is done, I've got to do the same thing all over again to the STS. I won't be able to cut as many corners though since I did put more kilometers on it this year. Once my DTS is out of storage, I have a bunch of maintenance items to do for it before we see too much snow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:30 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2005SLE PEARL
1975 MONTE CARLO
Car really looks nice.
And I thought we had a short summer season down here.(Milwaukee,Wisconsin)
You can tell it is coming soon.
Leaves are changing and falling.
Sunrise is after 7:00AM and sunset is just after 6:00PM.
Just can't wait till we turn the clocks back.(NOT)
The real reason I hate winter is because of all the salt they use on the roads.
I guess they have to because of all the bad drivers out there which is getting worse every year.
Every time I put my car on the hoist it makes me puke to see how it is eating away all the metal.
Now that I am retired I just won't go out unless I have to.
Can't wait for summer!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Our leaves started to turn a few weeks ago. Many are still on the trees, but with the snow so early, I haven't done anything for yard prep. Spring wet leaf slop is much harder to clean-up.

Salt is brutal and I generally have zero use for winter anyway. The biggest reason I don't drive the car in the winter anymore is because I have very little corrosion. The Bonneville hasn't seen winter service in many years now so the relatively little rust I have hasn't got worse. It only has 126,000km or 78,300 miles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:39 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

No more pics just yet, but I finished the Bonneville today. I went out this morning with the intention of waxing it until I ran my hand over the paint. I didn't realize there was still so much tree sap on it so I broke out ye ole clay bar. Once that was done I put on wax, cleaned the glass and gave the interior a quick vacuum along with a wipe down. Lastly, I stowed my brand new main body wiring harness in the trunk. Figured I'd keep it there over the winter since I'm running very short of part storage space. I plan to snap a few pics at the storage facility before it goes away :(

As for the STS, I just can't see myself finding time to detail it before winter. Bad for me, good for a friend of mine who is a professional detailer. It's now out at his shop so it can get done this week. Once it's back I'll still need to give it an oil change and check the other various filters. I HATE the thought of putting a vehicle into storage dirty as much as I HATE snow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Depressing day #2 for October... The STS went into winter storage. Just watch, this run of fantastic, warm weather we're having will last until January now that the cars are put away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Your level of commitment to the detailing process is quite impressive. That thing is gonna out last you! :P

I finally drove mine yesterday and today for the first time in about 8 days. Missed the comfort versus the S2000, but god *dang* is this thing a senior citizen these days. Definitely need to get my subframe bushings replaced. Really dreading putting the S2000 away for winter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

nos4blood70 wrote:
Your level of commitment to the detailing process is quite impressive. That thing is gonna out last you! :P

Thanks :) I slacked a little this year due to time, but I hate the thought of putting something away for the winter dirty. It's far more enjoyable to pull it out in the spring and just drive it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Put my Camaro into 'service position' where I drop the motor and stuff down enough to get access to change the spark plugs and find my vacuum leak. The iridium NA plugs had opened up to .070 gap after only like 6 pulls in the Camaro. Tips look a little... shiny, like they were starting to melt? New plugs are in, re-routed some of the wires, just need to find an O-ring.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next