It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:32 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1993 ssei supercharged bright white
Hi all, I've been putting techron in my car for years, but this past week since the usual place I go to was closed I went to napa and the guy there said I should get seafoam, not the one you spray in the air intake but a liquid one you put the entire bottle in the tank when you fill up, now I was a bit worries bc I've seen seafoam videos on youtube and they pump out this huge plume of white smoke, is that just for the air intake one or for all seafoam products bc I'm worried if the one that goes in the tank will do the same smoke plume I don't want to get it bc seafoam burns the engine, that's how it cleans, can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance!!

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI
NOW WITH BEAUTIFUL BLUE NEON UNDERGLOW
CERTIFIED EAGLE SCOUT MAY 19 2009
REFERRED TO BY EVERYONE AS JAMES BONDS WEEKEND CAR, REFERRED TO BY ME AS ANGEL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:49 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The smoke show you've seen is when people put it in the intake. The smoke is caused by all the carbon burning out of those engines when the raw seafoam soaks into it, then they restart the engine it all burns out.

Do you add something every tank? If you do, you're wasting a lot of money. Fuel is expensive enough, as well as full of enough additives on its own. You don't need to add anything. You might as well roll up dollar bills and throw them into your gas tank.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:17 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I used to add techron every other fill up but I when I told you car guru guy about it u said it was a waster of money so now I put one in every 750-1000 miles mainly bc 60% of thoes miles are city miles, thanks a bunch for your help beast, I can't even count how many times your advice has helped me out of a jam or eased my conscious lol

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:04 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
You'll be fine adding it every 5,000 miles. Anything more is a waste.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Best thing you can do, especially in the winter, is take it out on the highway once a week for at least 20 minutes and get it good and warmed up. Even if you're out running errands, drive to the furthest place first, then work your way back. That way your car gets a chance to warm up first, then it's warm each subsequent drive.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:34 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Gotcha, and city driving, even if I get it up to temp isn't bad? Bc I've herd that lots of city driving is like butting a bullet into your engine block

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
SSEI= SSEXI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:58 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
Using it that often sounds expensive and it MIGHT cause some issues with the O2 sensors or the cat.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 73k; Wife's hot rod & highway ride.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..
2004 Bonneville SLE 201k, Pearl White (Old man's ride)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:40 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SE
I very seldom use additives in the car. Put Sta-Bil in the MC even though I don't actually put it up for the winter. Winters the bike doesn't actually get used for 3 months it'll still be a little rough in the spring so I use Berryman B12 in it. Seems to work and much cheaper for mild cases, at least, than Techron and assume Seafoam. I agree you're usage seems excessive.

The best thing you can do for the fuel in the winter is to keep the tank as full as makes sense. If you have warm moist air one day and cold the next, the moisture in the air inside the tank condenses into the fuel. Less air, less moisture.

Not much you can do about the air in the engine. Hard part about city driving is the extra power required and blow by. While the engine is cold the tolerances are loose so more fuel mixture gets past the rings into the oil. That and moisture in the oil if not getting it warm enough is why more frequent oil changes are needed.

BTW putting kerosene in the intake causes the same white plume. Saw it done way before cars had cats.