It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:40 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
One of the first modifications done to my Buick was a drilled 180* thermostat a few months ago. Driving around today in some pretty intense heat and traffic, I noticed that the reported temperature on my scanner varied 20* F, from near 200 in traffic to 179 when finally out on the highway at 60 mph. I was never aware that an engine could vary so much in temperature once it's running. And the temperature will vary quickly, like in 1-2 minutes' time. Also wondering how much is the fluctuations of the sensors and my scanner, and how much is the temperature actually varying.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:46 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: no longer a Bonneville owner
I suspect that the higher temps in traffic are because your fans will not come on till around 200 unless your PCM was reprogramed.

I've noticed the same thing with my car BTW.

2001 F150 a basic six cyl with 5 speed manual trans.
'66 Piper Cherokee 360 CID , 180 hp, 155 mph @ 2500 rpm, drop in K&N filter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
yeah, those temps are probably legitimate. the reason it varies so quickly is because the thermostat will suddenly open, flooding the engine with cooler antifreeze.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:30 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Wouldn't the thermostat be open at all those temperatures I posted in my post above? I know the thermostat is good because I tested it before installation. And the decrease is sudden only when going from dense traffic to clear highway, like when you're at a mall. Otherwise it's pretty gradual as you move onto clearer roads that allow sustained speeds. So I do not believe there is an opening of the thermostat allowing a rush of coolant. Maybe the stock 195* stat would do that, but the 180* that should already be fully open should not.

And no, my fans haven't been reprogrammed to come on at 180*. I almost wish they were.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:49 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Install a hi-speed fan override.

Your temperature variation may just be a fluke of the conditions, or you didn't pay as much attention before. The thermostat simply opens earlier on initial warmup, decreasing the severity of the initial heatsoak. Unless you're moving air, your low-speed/traffic temps will remain the same.

Depending on ambient air temps, it's POSSIBLE in the summer to cycle temps down in the 180 range.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:50 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Before the ScanGauge I had no way of monitoring engine temperature. My gauge cluster is the linear speedometer and gas gauge, nothing else.

I keep hearing how the thermostat has nothing to do with engine temperature once the engine has been operating long enough to open up said thermostat. Looks as if I'm finally discovering that to be the truth.

And installing an over-ride sounds good. Time to search.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:40 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Year and Trim: 1991 Olds 88
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
Before the ScanGauge I had no way of monitoring engine temperature. My gauge cluster is the linear speedometer and gas gauge, nothing else.

ScanGauge??? We don't need no stink'n ScanGauge!!!

Ignorance is bliss!!!
85mph Speedo
195 degree Thermostat
One Cooling Fan
Gas Gauge
and noth'n else
What me worry???!!!

2002 Snap Orange Beetle - Auto - Turbo

1991 Dark Garnet Red Oldsmobile 88 - Donated to Science

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:58 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
I keep hearing how the thermostat has nothing to do with engine temperature once the engine has been operating long enough to open up said thermostat.

I always thought this debate was interesting *until* I got a 180 drilled Intense thermostat.

The anti-180 argument always went something like this: "Your engine is going to run at whatever temperature it heats up to and achieves equilibrium with the cooling system -including everything which that entails, such as ambient temperature, fan performance, vehicle speed, radiator size, etc.. . . -opening the thermostat earlier should only give you a brief amount of early cooling before your engine gets to the same temperature that it would if you had a stock (195) thermostat in it."

My actual experience: Most of my driving is highway. At highway speeds, your fans aren't running, but there's plenty of air flowing through your radiator. Under these circumstances, my car runs at 180 degrees. The bottom line is that the cooling system is at least efficient enough to cool the coolant to the temperature at which the thermostat will open and close. Therefore, the car now runs at 180 degrees instead of 195. If your driving is mostly stop and go in traffic, then you will likely get a different result. The fans in a stopped vehicle most likely do not match the cooling performance of the airflow through the radiator at highway speeds.

The next question of interest would be to ask what benefits, if any, are associated with running the engine cooler than stock design. There is likely to be continuing debate on this topic. The most common benefit listed is usually the longevity of the intake manifold gaskets and delaying the self-destruction of the UIM at the EGR stovepipe. There may be continuing debate on that topic, but I think anybody who has experienced intake failure would be interested in modifications that might prevent it.

A typical argument against the 180 thermostat that I hear often is that you might get worse gas mileage. That's possible too. So far I haven't noticed a drop in fuel efficiency.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

And the stock fan settings don't kick in until it gets REALLY hot. Guess that should have been my wakeup call.

Another benefit is the car doesn't fall on its face after several hours of highway travel. I've driven I-81 to I-77 with both the 195 and 180 stats. Lots of hills to keep an engine toasty. The car felt gutless hitting those hills with the 195. With the 180 I had to back off the gas a little bit to hold it in 3rd, even with a full load in the car. Recent observations bear this out as well.

I've seen my best tank to date on the 180 stat. Mileage isn't an issue from what I've seen.

I'd say the pros for it outweigh the cons. For a $7 part, I'm plenty happy. And the cooling system seems more than adequate for what most of us use our cars for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:43 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2006 Grand Prix GT
the 180' t-stat is something I'll probably be doing soon, so this is good info to know...

however, i have no idea how to to the override...is there a write up somewhere?

1997 Bonneville SE *Sold*
Dark Yellow-Green Met. - Tint (35% front, 5% rear) - CAI - Aftermarket Keyless/Remote Start - Disabled DRLs - Belden Wires, TR55 plugs - Cleared Corners - Silverstars - 190,591 miles when sold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

http://users.adelphia.net/~bpaskevich/i ... l_Fans.htm

That's what I've found on the subject. I may end up getting a reprogrammed PCM that kicks the fans on at 180. Likely the easiest solution to a few gripes, among them the fans.

CJ, you might want to flush your cooling system while you're doing the stat. Have to take the stat out to flush it anyhow.