It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
finally getting some decent weather today after the rain all week, I needed to cut the lawn. well the mower needed oil and fuel, so that didnt happen.
when I grabbed the fuel canister out of my trunk and moved a box with some cleaning supplies in it, I noticed the bottom was wet. thinking a bottle had cracked over the winter from expansion, I decided to pull everything out and dry the carpet/ foam out in the sun.
well, a couple minutes later, after realizing my plastic trunk panel that covers the spare was now broken into 4 pieces, I pulled out the spare and this is what I found.

oh boy. Im assuming its tinted red from the car wash soap/ cleaner I take it through every once in a while.
(not from a body of any sort. definitely not blood or anything. definitely.)
but not what I wanted to see. brother suggested pulling the drain plug, but their obviously isnt one.
so what should I be checking now?

Rich- Member #6668
Golden Hurricane
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE

| Cleared Headlights | 20% Tinted Windows | AVS VentVisors | Viper 2-Way Alarm System | Garmin GPS Navigation |
| DDM Tuning 8000k 35w HID Headlights | Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K Fog Lights | Black PlastiDip Accents & Badges |

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 1995 LX(went to the shredder)*sniffle*
1999 SE
You aren't fooling me. That's dead hooker blood!

Anyhow...
Check the seals around the trunk lid and where the window meets the trunk lid. I used to have a leaky trunk, but I found that after gluing the seal at the back window that had come loose, I no longer experience the soggy trunk syndrome. Of course, that's in a 99, not a 2k+. Although, it could be one of those dreaded leaky taillights.... not sure if the 2k+ have that issue.

My dead hookers stay dry until I can dispose of them properly.

Mod List: Hood and Fender "adjustment" - "Enhanced" A/C compressor clutch - Extra loud PS Pump - Mega sensitive CKPS - Audible Rear Drums - Lowered headliner - Custom stained upholstery - "Brown Devil" weight reduction kit - Low Friction Belt. More to come!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Could be the center tail light panel that is leaking. Check the common problems section.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
Is the carpet itself getting wet?
Check to make sure the 3rd brake light is in straight and the center tail light for any movement at the top corners.

My issue I believe is with the center light, not the 3rd brake light. The top corners will move in when I push on them (not sure if that's normal). I'm not sure if it will pull out though. The water will run down the back side of the spare tire well. My carpet is dry. I did have a deformed trunk seal, but have replaced that.

1998 Chevy S10 ZR2 ECSB L35 5spd -- winter truck
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi -- stock (trying to keep it that way...we'll see...)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
There are 3 small plugs covered with a rubber patch in the bottom of the tire well. Drill a 1/8" hole through one of the plugs to drain out that water and keep whatever water does come in out. 2000+ trunk leaks are common, check out the Common Problems and Solutions article I wrote.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 95 LeSabre Custom
01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Yeah, mine's leaking from either the 3rd brake light or taillight, haven't figure out which yet.

I plan to do what Andrew mentioned sometime soon, just to keep the water from sitting in there, as I already have a lot of rust in there now from water pooling for years (before I got the car).

Yeah, make sure those dead hookers are dry before storing them in your trunk. :lol:

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2005 Bonneville GXP: 101K Miles | Custom FWI
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit
1984 Caprice Classic Wagon: 86K Miles | Restoration Project

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
As far as mine goes, drilling a hole in the plugs won't help. The seam sealer is actually holding the water in the rear-most portion of the well.

I have removed all 4 rubber plugs from the lid itself now and so far so good, but I don't know how hard it has been raining lately. Before, I only removed the 2 plugs on the bottom lip and I was still getting water in the trunk. I can only assume right now that removing all 4 helps keep the pressure inside the lid more even and not create a vacuum.

1998 Chevy S10 ZR2 ECSB L35 5spd -- winter truck
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi -- stock (trying to keep it that way...we'll see...)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
I'll browse through some more post today and then try to figure out what my deal is. supposed to get more rain the next few days, and it just started to come down.

Rich- Member #6668
Golden Hurricane
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE

| Cleared Headlights | 20% Tinted Windows | AVS VentVisors | Viper 2-Way Alarm System | Garmin GPS Navigation |
| DDM Tuning 8000k 35w HID Headlights | Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K Fog Lights | Black PlastiDip Accents & Badges |