It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Hello everyone,

First id like to say this place is awesome and very helpful.

My issue is with my 2002 Bonneville. The interior light fuse keeps blowing out its #27 with a 10 fuse. Ive tried disconnecting my visor light on both the driver and front passenger sides. The visor cover on both the driver and front passenger has been broken off for a while. So i thought this might be the issue as was suggested in the other treads. My issue now that i have disconnected the visor lights and put a new fuse in is the interior lights will not turn off, they just stay on. For now I've put back the old broken fuse as to not kill my battery. Any suggestions on what to do next in trouble shooting would be helpful.

Sincerly
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
A light circuit basically places the filament of the bulb across ground and +12vDC. In effect, the filament of the bulb is a short circuit. It does not make good sense that having a lightbulb in your visor circuit should cause your fuse to blow unless you're using a dramatically wrong bulb in the circuit. So to begin with, make sure you're using the correct bulbs.

It is possible to blow fuses due to a light circuit, if one of the +12vDC connection points is accidentally directly touching ground, and this will blow fuses whether or not there is a lightbulb in the circuit. With both the fuse and lightbulbs in the circuit removed, you could test for continuity between your lightbulb +12vDC contact and ground.

If you can get the fuse to not blow, possibly with certain bulbs removed (which really doesn't make sense, but since that's the situation you described, let's work with that), but they stay on permanently, then this indicates a potential problem in the switch or switches that turn on or control those lights. Switches can absolutely fail, so that's a good place to start. Check the switches, inspect their contacts. Look for signs of arcing and corrosion.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500