It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye Bonneville
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
I traded in my Bonneville a couple weeks ago as most of you know. I hate seeing cars go, I get attached to them especially with the amount of work I've put into the Bonneville. I didn't have it long (bought in Jan 2010) but in that time I went from 105k, and traded it in with 170k. Not a bad run, plus the car never let me down. I will miss the bulletproof drivetrain and the fact that you could always rely on it to start and get you where you needed to go.

What I wont miss is the automatic transmission and the little things that break (a long list on this car, though I already fixed about 90% of them!). I hate autos with a passion. One of the reasons I let it go, was because it would have needed a new transmission in the forseeable future. It still shifted fine but as getting rough going in and out of TCC lockup. 170k is a lot for an automatic, and had I kept the car I would be sinking $1,500 into a car worth $3,000. With the other work I had to have done to the car (new windshield, AC work, etc, SWPS, etc.) it was a no brainer.

I initially went to the Chevy deal to testdrive a new Cruze 1.4T. Instead I walked out with a '09 Caliber SRT-4. Had they not had that car, I would be driving a Cruze, I really liked it. I paid $15,100 w/ 75k, and the dealer gave me 3k on my trade. 75k is higher miles than I'd like but the car doesn't show it. The great thing about it all was that a girl drove it, and it was 100% stock. Too many of these cars are owned by meatheads who mod them to the tilt and drive the piss out of them. So far I love the car-- Completely different driving dynamics than the Bonneville, but I love the 6 speed and the power. It could be smoother over bumps, but on the flip side it can cut through twists and curves at speeds I couldn't dream of doing in my Bonneville. The whole thing adds up to a fun car that has a decent amount of utility and space for hauling things. It also has touch-screen nav with 20gb hard drive for holding songs, and a stock subwoofer.

Performance-wise, in a straight line, my Bonneville with a 3.3 pulley could probably hold its own against it... Turbo lag on the Caliber is obnoxious when you're used to the instant power of the L67. I thought I had bad wheelspin in the Bonnie, but it's nothing like what the Caliber delivers in 1st and 2nd. I guess long gearing has it's advantages :).

I have a host of maintenance parts and odds & ends in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

Last edited by jedwards83 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Goodbye Bonneville
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 06 Grand Prix LS4
Those things are fun, and lots of aftermarket support!

Previous, 07 GP SE, 06 GP GXP, 97 SSE 40th, 96 LeSabre Custom, 93 SLE, 90 LeSabre Custom