It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Well, the results from Blackstone came today in the mail. Unless there is something going on in the engine that can't be detected with an oil analysis, the engine should last at least 100,000 more miles. :banana: I posted the image from photobucket below. - BC

Image

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 5535
Location: CHICAGO
Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I think silicone is every reading I ever take. I attribute it to sealants too, but often wonder if it's something on the little plastic jug they give you. Nothing comes in contact with the oil as I stick the jug in the stream a few seconds after pulling the plug (to let it drain a bit before putting it in the stream). Then I'm careful to clean and seal the container.

_________________
Image

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
CMNTMXR57 wrote:
Nothing comes in contact with the oil as I stick the jug in the stream a few seconds after pulling the plug (to let it drain a bit before putting it in the stream). Then I'm careful to clean and seal the container.


That's exactly what I did - lol I did the oil change/new oil pan with the engine still very warm - BC

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 pm 
Offline
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 20959
Location: MN/IA
Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Looks great Bill! Goes to show that consistent care from the beginning has its benefits.

NVM, Blackstone is $25 an analysis. Ordered a test kit.

_________________
Bye Bye:
Image
RIP sandrock
Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.


Last edited by 00Beast on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 pm 
Offline
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 1221
Location: Soutwest Michigan
Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
That is awesome news! Have you been using conventional or synthetic oil over the life of the car??

_________________
Eric

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 5535
Location: CHICAGO
Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
CMNTMXR57 wrote:
I think silicone is every reading I ever take. I attribute it to sealants too, but often wonder if it's something on the little plastic jug they give you. Nothing comes in contact with the oil as I stick the jug in the stream a few seconds after pulling the plug (to let it drain a bit before putting it in the stream). Then I'm careful to clean and seal the container.


I think on one of my later oil analysis on the Bonneville, I got a "B" on Titan's grading scale for silicon. A being Acceptable, B being borderline, C being you better rebuild your engine (I suppose).

_________________
Image

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
00Beast wrote:
Looks great Bill! Goes to show that consistent care from the beginning has its benefits.
NVM, Blackstone is $25 an analysis. Ordered a test kit.

I paid the extra $10 to find out if leaving the oil in for 6 months was okay. Total cost was $35 for the test and $2.29 to mail it back to Blackstone.

yonkerse wrote:
That is awesome news! Have you been using conventional or synthetic oil over the life of the car??

The first 4 years or so I used conventional oil, but changed it every 3 months and added TX-7 once a year. Since then it's been all synthetic, but every 6 months. I currently use Walmart's 10w-30 100% synthetic. I did that about 6 years ago. Before that I used either Castrol 100% synthetic or Mobil 1 100% synthetic. I switched to Fram filters with teflon in them about 7 years ago until I saw they collapsed (that only happened because of information from here on the forum). Now I use either Microguard, AC Delco or Pure1. I need to find a teflon additive that is cost effective. - BC

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 634
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
For those who are interested; here is the report I posted at BobistheOilGuy.com last month. Silicon was noted here too, but was not felt to be an issue:

===========================================================
2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Series II 3800 supercharged engine
Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 (regular MaxLife in red bottle, not NextGen)
Same brand oil was used in run prior to this one
4,874 miles on oil sample (oil was in use for almost 4 months)
170,218 miles in engine
Forgot to check the OLM for %
UOA was done at Blackstone Labs
Added 1 qt make up oil, 431 miles into run (4443 miles in run after top-off)
Driving is around 70% hwy / 30% city
Driving style is gentle-to-moderate


This was my first-ever UOA. I wanted to see how my hi-mileage engine is doing, and if I should replace my LIM gaskets. I do not think they are original, but I do not know how old they are. I bought the car in Dec 2010 at 152K miles and have been keeping maintenance up to date.

Code:
OIL             ML5w30   Univ Avg
MILES IN USE    4874     4600     
MILES           170,218     
SAMPLE TAKEN    12/17/11   

ALUMINUM        4        3       
CHROMIUM        1        1       
IRON            10       13       
COPPER          13       16       
LEAD            4        7       
TIN             0        1       
MOLYBDENUM      144      65       
NICKEL          0        0       
MANGANESE       0        1       
SILVER          0        0       
TITANIUM        0        0       
POTASSIUM       3        7       
BORON           5        46       
SILICON         24       11       
SODIUM          348      38       
CALCIUM         2060     2102     
MAGNESIUM       9        79     
PHOSPHORUS      741      690     
ZINC            826      842     
BARIUM          0        0
     
INSOLUBLES %    0.4      <0.6     
WATER %         0        0
FUEL %          trace    <2
ANTIFREEZE %    0        0     
FLASHPOINT ºF   365      >365     
SUS VIS 210ºF   57.4     56-63     
cSt @ 212ºF     9.47     9.1-11.3
TBN             3.2



Comments from Blackstone:

Quote:
The only reading out of line in this first sample from your 170,218-mile Bonneville's engine was
silicon. And silicon can be harmless or it can be abrasive. From the looks of wear, we'd guess it was a
harmless source (like a sealer or something that was used). Universal averages show typical wear levels
after about 4,600 miles for this engine type. Your wear numbers all look good compared to those averages.
A trace of fuel was found, but that's not causing any problems that we can see. The TBN read 3.2 showing
plenty of active additive left (1.0 is low). Try 6K miles.

_________________
2000 SSEi "Gypssei" - 206k miles - Light Bronzemist Metallic - stock
1999 Grand Am GT - 168k miles - Red - stock DEAD -- transmission died
2004 Pontiac Montana Ext 2WD - 207k miles - Blue Black Metallic - stock


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:29 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Ken_W wrote:
For those who are interested; here is the report I posted at BobistheOilGuy.com last month. Silicon was noted here too, but was not felt to be an issue:

===========================================================
2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Series II 3800 supercharged engine
Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 (regular MaxLife in red bottle, not NextGen)
Same brand oil was used in run prior to this one
4,874 miles on oil sample (oil was in use for almost 4 months)
170,218 miles in engine
Forgot to check the OLM for %
UOA was done at Blackstone Labs
Added 1 qt make up oil, 431 miles into run (4443 miles in run after top-off)
Driving is around 70% hwy / 30% city
Driving style is gentle-to-moderate


This was my first-ever UOA. I wanted to see how my hi-mileage engine is doing, and if I should replace my LIM gaskets. I do not think they are original, but I do not know how old they are. I bought the car in Dec 2010 at 152K miles and have been keeping maintenance up to date.

Comments from Blackstone:

Quote:
The only reading out of line in this first sample from your 170,218-mile Bonneville's engine was
silicon. And silicon can be harmless or it can be abrasive. From the looks of wear, we'd guess it was a
harmless source (like a sealer or something that was used). Universal averages show typical wear levels
after about 4,600 miles for this engine type. Your wear numbers all look good compared to those averages.
A trace of fuel was found, but that's not causing any problems that we can see. The TBN read 3.2 showing
plenty of active additive left (1.0 is low). Try 6K miles.



Ken, Thanks for the post. I was hoping someone else would have input like this. To be honest, I really don't understand any part of the analysis except for the comments. I would sure like to know what the molybdenum means. I know at one time it the THE thing in lubrication, many years ago. I would also like to know what the rest means. From the comments on the TBN in your report, I think I could run my oil longer too. - BC

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
Offline
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:26 am
Posts: 1211
Location: Charlotte, NC
Year and Trim: 96 SSEi- 157K
Moly is awesome, it forms a coating to protect the moving parts. as you can see above Maxlife has quite a bit in it.

I am no expert but I know what some of it means... Aluminum, chromium, iron, copper, and lead are wear metals (which yours are not high), magnesium and calcium are detergents (a pretty good amount of calcium, that oil should keep things nice and clean), zinc is anti-wear and so is molybdenum of course.

walmart supertech synthetic certainly does well in your car, but unless you want the cold pumpability of synthetic, you would probably find that the stats on major brands of convetional oils are almost as good for less. you could also probably run those conventional oils for over 3K miles as well.

if you want to learn more this is a fun site I think and less daunting than BITOG for the basics:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

_________________
- Rachael
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 am 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
zuper8 wrote:
Moly is awesome, it forms a coating to protect the moving parts. as you can see above Maxlife has quite a bit in it.

I am no expert but I know what some of it means... Aluminum, chromium, iron, copper, and lead are wear metals (which yours are not high), magnesium and calcium are detergents (a pretty good amount of calcium, that oil should keep things nice and clean), zinc is anti-wear and so is molybdenum of course.

walmart supertech synthetic certainly does well in your car, but unless you want the cold pumpability of synthetic, you would probably find that the stats on major brands of convetional oils are almost as good for less. you could also probably run those conventional oils for over 3K miles as well.

if you want to learn more this is a fun site I think and less daunting than BITOG for the basics:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html



Thanks for the input and help on some of the results. I followed the link, but I don't know which end of the chart is best high and which one is best low (lol). If I understood more, I guess it would be a good idea to switch to conventional oil since I don't run it for extended periods and typically don't do short drives. I need to search for more information to better understand the charts in the link.

off topic - that Bonneville of your's is looking great! - BC

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:25 pm 
Offline
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am
Posts: 440
Location: Flaherty, KY
Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
The oil life monitor on mine doesn't reach 10% or so, until 8 or 9 thousand miles. That used to make me nervous as I've never had a vehicle that went that long between changes, so I did one of those oil analyses just to make sure. I usually buy the cheapest oil I can find, as long as it has a newer API rating (SM or SN). Interesting that both oils thinned to a 10w-20 by the time they were changed.

Philips Trop-Artic 10w-30 SM:

Image

Citgo Synthetic Blend 10w-30 SN:

Image

_________________
Inferno Red 2009 Dodge Caliber SRT-4 125k

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Posts: 3953
Location: Lone Star State
Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
jedwards83 wrote:
The oil life monitor on mine doesn't reach 10% or so, until 8 or 9 thousand miles. That used to make me nervous as I've never had a vehicle that went that long between changes, so I did one of those oil analyses just to make sure. I usually buy the cheapest oil I can find, as long as it has a newer API rating (SM or SN). Interesting that both oils thinned to a 10w-20 by the time they were changed.


Looks like any GF5 oil can be run for a year if the short trips are run few and far between. Thanks for the posts. I'm still working on figuring out what's going on with all the analysis data. Nothing like a good mystery - lol - BC

_________________
In Memory of Brad - 1/21/1977 .. 10/23/2013 ...... Aaron - 1977 .. 2017 .....
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ..... 1992 Bonneville SSE 1SB 170 HP L27 4T60E retired/sold to MattStrike ..... 2005 Bonneville SE 1SC 205 HP L36 4T65E - retired/salvage yard ..... 2013 Cadillac CTS 1SD 270 HP LF1 6L50 - SOLD ..... PBCF user 2321


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. oil analysis? What does the 3800 Supercharged perfer

jethrow

12

2197

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:06 pm

swampthing View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Can I put green in a 96-99?

94SilverSSEi

6

1300

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 pm

repinS View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Green curse

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

JMH1950

36

2341

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 pm

JMH1950 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. LED Swap from Green to Orange

jdronzek

17

2381

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm

ChilinMichael View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dale from Green Bay Wisconsin???

Skippy1827

1

492

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 am

bonnelover View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group


phpBB SEO