SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
harofreak00 wrote:
Quote:
Body Control System Description and Operation
The body control system consists of the following 3 modules:

The dash integration module (DIM)
The instrument panel integration module (IPM)
The rear integration module (RIM)
Each of the 3 body control modules integrate a number of functional systems under the control of a single module. Each of the modules are connected to the Class 2 serial data line; many control signals are implemented by Class 2 messages.

Dash Integration Module (DIM)
The DIM is wired to the class 2 serial data line. The various DIM input and output circuits are described in the corresponding functional areas as indicated on the DIM electrical schematics.

The DIM functions include the following:

Control of headlights and exterior lamps.
Horn relay control.
Interior lamps incandescent dimming.
Lamps On signal with wiper/washer.
Power moding control over class 2 serial data line.
Steering wheel controls.
Storage of the clock settings and, sending a message out on the class 2 serial data circuit in response to requests from other modules.
Serial Data Power Mode
On vehicles that have several control modules connected by serial data circuits, one module is the power mode master (PMM). On this vehicle the PMM is the DIM. The PMM receives 4 signals from the ignition switch.

To determine the correct power mode the PMM uses the following circuits:

Accessory voltage
Ignition 1 voltage
Ignition 3 voltage
Off/Run/Crank voltage
Fail-safe Operation
Since the operation of the vehicle systems depends on the power mode, there is a fail-safe plan in place should the PMM fail to send a power mode message. The fail-safe plan covers those modules using exclusively serial data control of power mode as well as those modules with discrete ignition signal inputs.

Serial Data Messages
The modules that depend exclusively on serial data messages for power modes stay in the state dictated by the last valid PMM message until they can check for the engine run flag status on the serial data circuits. If the PMM fails, the modules monitor the serial data circuit for the engine run flag serial data. If the engine run flag serial data is True, indicating that the engine is running, the modules fail-safe to RUN. In this state the modules and their subsystems can support all operator requirements. If the engine run flag serial data is False, indicating that the engine is not running, the modules fail-safe to OFF-AWAKE. In this state the modules are constantly checking for a change status message on the serial data circuits and can respond to both local inputs and serial data inputs from other modules on the vehicle.

Discrete Ignition Signals
Those modules that have discrete ignition signal inputs also remain in the state dictated by the last valid PMM message received on the serial data circuits. They then check the state of their discrete ignition input to determine the current valid state. If the discrete ignition input is active, battery positive voltage, the modules will fail-safe to the RUN power mode. If the discrete ignition input is not active, open or 0 voltage, the modules will fail-safe to OFF-AWAKE. In this state the modules are constantly checking for a change status message on the serial data circuits and can respond to both local inputs and serial data inputs from other modules on the vehicle.

DIM Wake-up/Sleep States
The DIM is able to control or perform all of the DIM functions in the wake-up state. The DIM enters the sleep state when active control or monitoring of system functions has stopped, and the DIM has become idle again. The DIM must detect certain wake-up inputs before entering the wake-up state. The DIM monitors for these inputs during the sleep state, where the DIM is able to detect switch transitions that cause the DIM to wake-up when activated or deactivated. Multiple switch inputs are needed in order to sense both the insertion of the ignition key and the power mode requested. This would allow the DIM to enter a sleep state when the key is IN or OUT of the ignition.

The DIM will enter a wake-up state if any of the following wake-up inputs are detected:

Activity on the serial data line.
Detection of a battery disconnect and reconnect condition.
Headlamps are on.
Ignition is turned ON.
Key-in-ignition switch.
Parklamps are on.
The DIM will enter a sleep state when all of the following conditions exist:

Ignition switch is OFF.
No activity exists on the serial data line.
No outputs are commanded.
No delay timers are actively counting.
No wake-up inputs are present.
If all these conditions are met the DIM will enter a low power or sleep condition. This condition indicates that the DIM, which is the PMM of the vehicle, has sent an OFF-ASLEEP message to the other systems on the serial data line.

Instrument Panel Integration Module (IPM)
The IPM is wired to the class 2 serial data line. The various IPM input and output circuits are described in the corresponding functional areas as indicated on the IPM electrical schematics.

The IPM functions include the following:

Ambient light sensor input and twilight delay input for headlights control.
Front HVAC air delivery and temperature controls.
IP dimmer switch input.
Ignition switch headlight control.
Interior lamps switch input.
Key-in-ignition switch input from the ignition switch.
Rear compartment lid release switch input.
Traction control switch input.
Rear Integration Module (RIM)
The RIM is wired to the class 2 serial data line. The various RIM input and output circuits are described in the corresponding functional areas as indicated on the RIM electrical schematics.

The RIM functions include the following:

Ajar switch and tamper switch inputs from the rear compartment lid.
Automatic level control.
Cigar lighter relay control.
Fuel door lock and release control.
Heated seat controls.
Park brake relay control.
Rear compartment lid release controls.
Rear defogger relay control.
Retained Accessory Power (RAP) relay control.
Reverse lamp relay control.
Various controls for the interior lamps.

I have looked at Rear Integration Module (RIM) pinouts and wiring diagrams for the 00-05 Bonnies. I also understand how the Dash Integration Module (DIM) is the Power Mode Master (PMM) in said Bonnies. When the DIM senses an ignition position of "off," it sends a Retainted Accessory Power (RAP) command over the Class 2 bus to the radio. The radio will then continue to have power until RAP ends, at which time the radio will "turn off" (we all know Class 2 modules are never really "off" in the traditional sense).

I have read as much as I possibly can on how Class 2 power moding and RAP works, so I have an idea of what's going on. I have also read how these modules act in failsafe mode, where the PMM fails to send a power mode command. There are modules (such as the radio) whose modality are controlled exclusively by Class 2 Data. There are modules whose modality are controlled by discrete ignition position inputs (such as the PMM, which is the DIM in the Bonnies), and then there are modules whose modality is controlled by both Class 2 Data and discrete ignition inputs. The RIM appears to be a module controlled both by Class 2 Data and discrete ignition inputs. Am I correct?

Upon inspecting the RIM pinouts and diagrams, I noticed that there is an "ignition 1" voltage input. This is a discrete igntion input. The RIM does not include the other three ignition inputs that the DIM has (e.g., ignition 3, off/run/crank, and accessory voltage inputs). What is the purpose of the ignition 1 input in the RIM? From what I understand, the RIM controls RAP functions in the Bonnie. What effect, if any, does the absense or presence of voltage on the igntion 1 input to the RIM have on RAP, specifically, to the radio's power modality? (What I mean is, will the presence of voltage on the ignition 1 input to the RIM end RAP?)

Alphabet soup, anyone? :P

I have retrofitted a U1Q radio from a 2001 Bonneville into my car. I have also retrofitted a DIM into the car with Boneville "firmware" to control radio power modality and steering wheel control functions. Everything works great, but since the Bonnie DIM stores clock settings (as opposed to the radio itself), when my vehicle's own RAP circuit shuts off (for example, when I open a door with the ignition off), the DIM begins its own 10-minute RAP countdown. I have a RIM that I pulled out of the same Bonnie that donated the DIM I am using. Can I use the RIM to prematurely end the DIM's RAP period with the ignition 1 input?

Any help is appreciated!

> 2003 Pontiac Bonneville Dash Integration Module hideaway
> 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Monsoon 200-watt 8-channel amplifier retrofit "U85"
> DICE Electronics i-FM-RDS-USB Pro FM modulator
> 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora remote 12-disc CD changer retrofit "U1S"
> Custom Torch Red door panel insert upholstery
> Custom Lloyd brand Torch Red floor mats and rear deck mat
> 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Medium Gray cloth interior with Flame Red accent cloth "73B"
> 1995-1999 Pontiac Firebird-style Graphite leather-wrapped steering wheel with electronic accessory control "NP5" + "UK3"
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
*Bump*

> 2003 Pontiac Bonneville Dash Integration Module hideaway
> 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Monsoon 200-watt 8-channel amplifier retrofit "U85"
> DICE Electronics i-FM-RDS-USB Pro FM modulator
> 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora remote 12-disc CD changer retrofit "U1S"
> Custom Torch Red door panel insert upholstery
> Custom Lloyd brand Torch Red floor mats and rear deck mat
> 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Medium Gray cloth interior with Flame Red accent cloth "73B"
> 1995-1999 Pontiac Firebird-style Graphite leather-wrapped steering wheel with electronic accessory control "NP5" + "UK3"
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE