It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: I need tire advice.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
I need tire advice. Even if I decide not to get new tires right now, I'm stumped what to do, or what to get.

Background: Dunlop has discontinued the SP Sport A2 Plus in my 225/60/16 size.
I drive in the California bay area, which means: Completely dry roads 8 months out of the year, wet roads 4 months out of the year. Maybe once a year I'll go skiing, or to visit family in Northern California, so the possibility exists that I may drive on snow, but in practice this is extremely rare.

My choice for tires in the past has been a performance oriented all season tire. But now I'll have to get something else.
I have narrowed down my choices to these contenders:
(1) Yokohama Avid V4S in stock size. (Rated 500/AA/A)
(2) BF Goodrich Traction T/A, in either H or V rating, stock size. (Rated 440/A/A)
(3) Possibly copy Wren's Toyo T1R in 245/55/16. (Rated 280/AA/A)
(4) Alternative possibility: Toyo Versado LX in stock size. (Rated 400/AA/A)

I can get the Traction T/A's H-rated at CostCo installed and out the door for $424 + tax.
I can get the Traction T/A's V-rated at a tire dealer installed and out the door for $463 + tax.
I can get the Yokohama's V-rated at a tire dealer installed and out the door for $551 + tax.
I have no idea what the Toyo's would cost, or where I'd need to go to get them.

The possibility exists of getting tires at WCBF in July, where there is apparently no sales tax in Oregon.

I think Costco only installs brands and models that they carry, and I've heard it takes forever at Costco to get something simple like a tire rotation. I've never bought tires at Costco.

I do like tires that last a long time, and the Yokohama's and the BF Goodrich Traction T/A's have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.

I'm interested in opinions on my selections above, and any experiences with any of the above tires and prices.
-Mark

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

Post subject: Re: I need tire advice.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
For reference, we have Les Schwab and Beggs here in Corvallis and Albany (multiple stores each) and a Costco in Albany.

Wide-open no-sales-tax options for you.

Beggs and Les Schwab are literally blocks from ZM.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
A few years ago I went to Les Scwabb Tire in Corvallis while at wcbf, I had my truck that year and was pulling the Bonne.
It took 10 minutes from the time I walked in and drove away on brand new mounted and balanced Toyo's for less than half of what I was quoted up here.

Very good price and exceptional service, a hallmark in my tire buying experience. :)

Intense FWI, DHP Power Programmer PCM, Intense tranny with gen2 lsd,
Aeroforce scan gauge, Clear front and back, N* TB & LQ4 Maf,
Hoosier slicks, ZillaMotorsports P/P GenV & LIM

Pisco_Paul wrote:
Every time you pat my head, you pat a piece of my valve retainers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:21 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Regal GS
Traction T/A's suck in the snow, I have them on my Stratus, trust me. :(

Are these all your lunches?!

1999 Dodge Stratus - Mods, um, CAI and the trunk goes boom boom. ;) (Purchased October 1, 2004 - Sold March 13, 2010)
1999 Buick Regal GS - 3.4MPS, P&P M90 by Matt's Motorsports, Intense Poly Motor Mounts w/ Shortened Dogbones, JMB FWI, Intense PCM, Intense 180* T-Stat, NGK TR55s, Cat|U-Bend|Res Delete, Flowmaster Super 40 (Purchased June 7, 2007)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:50 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Location: New Jersey - Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted
Year and Trim: 1991 Olds 88
I buy all of my replacement tires at Costco. I'm just not as picky as most of you are. I'm running the BF Goodrich Premier Touring tires. The BIG reason for Costco is their service. Yes, if you're not there when they open on the weekends you might have to wait awhile to get tires mounted, rotated or that flat fixed. But they do a very nice job. Their is no charge for getting my tires rotated twice a year or getting that nail pulled out of the tread. BTW....I just looked at their site and I found that they don't carry my size 205/75/14 anymore. I guess my Oldsmobile isn't as popular as it use to be. :sad:

2002 Snap Orange Beetle - Auto - Turbo

1991 Dark Garnet Red Oldsmobile 88 - Donated to Science

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
Well, I'm glad I narrowed my choices down to the Yokohama Avid and the BF Goodrich Traction T/A.

If I was going to get the Traction T/A, I'd totally go to Costco. Best price in down, hands down.
The Yokohamas have a better treadwear rating, and get better reviews.

Over the weekend, I must have driven through a nail minefield. Just a couple weeks ago my driver-side front tire had a nail and I got it repaired. This weekend, the passenger-side front tire picked up a nail and was completely flat this morning.

I also noticed I'd picked up a nail in the passenger-side rear tire. Both rear tires were worn down to the wearbars.

Since I needed a tire repair anyway, I decided not to wait. I'm sure I could have saved money if I waited for WCBF to buy tires in Oregon, but I didn't want to drive from now until then, and then do a 9.5 hour drive on my balding rear tires.

So I took all the research I put into pricing tires, and I called around this morning. I decided to get the Yokohama Avid V4S tires. My tire dealer couldn't get them until 3-4pm. I called a competitor that had better pricing, and they could have them by first thing in the morning tomorrow. I called another location for my regular tire dealer and they could get them by Noon. They agreed to match the better pricing of the competitor.

WINNER!

I have also learned the difference between Free Flat Repair and Road Hazard Insurance. If you pick up a nail in the tread, they'll fix it free. If your tire gets damaged such that it isn't safe to repair, such as a sidewall puncture, then the Road Hazard Insurance will pay for either a full replacement or a treadwear prorated replacement, depending on how long you've had the tires. In my entire life, I've had maybe two cases where a tire was sidewall punctured. I decided this type of insurance is not worth it, so I just went with the Free Flat Repair, and the tire's 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.

The Yokohama V4S seems to be a very nice all season performance tire. It gets consistently good reviews, so I'm hoping I made a good choice. If cost were my top concern, I'd have gone with the Traction T/A tires at Costco.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input, it helped me make a quick decision today.
-Mark

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
Slayer636 wrote:
Traction T/A's suck in the snow, I have them on my Stratus, trust me. :(

I loved mine in the snow, best all seasons I've driven on a sedan in snow. Only had one winter on them, but their maiden voyage was in a snowstorm even. IMO, no reason to get a higher rated speed on a bonneville either, save your money.

T1r's are not for snow at all. They're a "summer" tire only, no to snow, no to below freezing. If you can get caught in a snowstorm in them, you shouldn't be running them at the time.

G009's are another good all season with great performance (for an all season) in summer conditions.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Bonnie SSE
Here is my input....I once owned a set of BFG CompTA VR4's on a 78' TA with a full poly suspension rebuild....I could hit cloverleafs at 90+mph without worry...granted I was younger and a little less sane? I agree the BFG's are not great in snow but In my experience they have always been a solid, well performing tire. Never ran Yoko's but I hear they are good. If I were to have a real sports car and wanted a summer set for performance I would go BFG again but not for winter driving.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Year and Trim: _
Please don't dig up old threads.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]