It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium
I'm wondering if the time has come to give up on my LeSabre.

I honestly never thought I'd see this day come, but lately I've been thinking more and more about it. It's an issue of what's practical and best for me vs. what I want, and it's a hard battle for either side to win.

My LeSabre has 166k miles, and is in visually flawless condition inside and out. Mechanically, it's also mostly sound but it's starting to feel like it's falling apart around me.

For the moment, it drives and shifts near brand new. But, a serious transmission problem could be looming on the horizon. And even if I fix that, it still has other issues. It needs new shocks/struts/mounts/bearings badly, and it makes a weird noise/vibration on cold start that I think is attributable to a bad transmission mount but who knows...could be another trans issue. And at this age and miles, once I fix that...what's next? I don't want to face a losing battle.

If I had a few thousand to spend I could probably make it perfect mechanically...and have a sound car for years to come. Problem is I don't have several thousand. I've been temporarily laid off from work the past two months and will continue to be for a while until things pick back up. I'm also a college student and will be attending classes this summer and fall. Right now I'm living comfortably, but if I have to dive into this mess that will change fast.

On top of that I have an entire other vehicle to maintain. That one is perfect inside and out, and mechanically. Drives very literally like a showroom new truck. But it needs maintenance too, and it's 14 years old so stuff will break from time to time, even though it only has 72,000 miles.

Because I have the truck, I don't really NEED the LeSabre, but dammit I don't want to get rid of it either. I'm just worried that it's becoming a money pit that I can't afford right now. If I sell it I won't get jack for it but someone with a little money and patience would have themselves one hell of a car if they could afford to give it what it needs, which I just can't right now.

If I sold it, on top of the money I got for it I'd also save on insurance, gas, and maintenance. Really there's no reason to keep it except my emotional attachment.

I'm really pretty torn right now. Like I said, I know what I should do (sell) but I've gotten so attached to that *dang* car that I know it would tear me up to see it go, and I'd miss it all the time.

Just needed to vent. If anyone has any insight or could share a time where they faced the same dilemma, that would help.

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium • Super Black • Charcoal • VQ35DE • Bose • Factory HID • 5000k LED Int/Ext
_

Image__I n n o v a t i o n__T h a t __E x c i t e s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
Pick the lesser of two evils, that's what I say.

When the Bonneville blew its motor out of the blue (fyi, it had its gaskets replaced thousands of miles ago with aluminum gaskets), that was it but I put in another motor and kept driving it for another 5,000-7,000 miles when I realized "It's time."

I felt that accepting a monthly car payment was better than not having to pay for the car.

I'm sure glad because the SAAB is a hoot to drive, it gets everywhere and can go for two weeks on twenty bucks worth of premium.

I guess I should reword my original statement, "You'll know when it's time."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Owner/Webmaster
Site Owner/Webmaster

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
'01 Sierra C3
My dad use to have a 1970 Torino GT that he loved. He sold it when I was about 6yo due to never driving it much anymore. To this day he still wishes he had it back.

If you really love your car, and you know you won't get much for it, what about just parking it somewhere until things pick back up and you can put the time and money into it. IF something major does happen to your S10, you can always park that one then and take the LeSabre out of storage. Just a thought.

Last edited by SSEi95 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Agreed. Selling the car will net you what.....3 grand? If you don't need the money, don't sell it. Park it, strike it off of insurance, turn the tag in, and get back to it when you are ready to.

I've put so much work into the SSE it ain't even funny. EVERY main part has been replaced. The interior's been replaced. The drivetrain...we all know the story on that. All that's stock on that car is basically the paint, and even that is going to be redone this year. Every once in a while I get the itch to get rid of it, but then I just change something else about it and then I like it all over again.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

Last edited by sandrock on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
SSEi95 wrote:
My dad use to have a 1970 Torino GT that he loved. He sold it when I was about 6yo due to never driving it much anymore. To this day he still wishes he had it back.

If you really love your car, and you know you won't get much for it, what about just parking it somewhere until things pick back up and you can put the time and money into it. IF something major does happen to your S10, you can always park that one then and take the LeSabre out of storage. Just a thought.

I absolutely agree!! That is if it is a feasible option

My parents had our 1994 SSEI for about 10 years and then out of the blue the motor started knocking and at 128k and with a body that was *dang* near perfect it got parked at my grandparents for about 6 months were it was then moved in all of its knocking glory to its current resting place in our garage where it has been for the last 3 years. It does take up a lot of room but I believe that is was a good decision on my parents choice and hopefully someday in the near future we will get it back on the road.

So really you need to make the decision do you think you will get around to it or will it just be sitting rotting b/c if that is the case you might as well sell it.

Long story short we had to make a decision and I believe that we made the right decision and it has a lot of sentimental value. And just one reason is that it literally SAVE OUR LIVES ONCE :ack: And without that Supercharger IDK if we would all be fine like we are today :sad: But that is a whole nother story

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Keep driving it until it quits. Then write down the diagnosis, park it, and save up to replace parts.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
Keep driving it until it quits. Then write down the diagnosis, park it, and save up to replace parts.

Yeah this makes the most sense get the most out of the car before you park it

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
We all know you'll never get rid of it ;)

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1999 SLE
What else is out there that appeals to you?..........

personally, we keep our 1990 around because my wife loves it (no airbags) sentimental attachment, and its been paid for a LOOOONGGG time. As long as we can find or adapt parts to it, I don't see us getting rid of it.

2 doors down, my neighbor (in her 70's) still drives her early 80's Volvo that they bought new.

The majority trade cars every few years, nothing wrong with being different. But like Cody said, you will know when its time :)

1999 SLE 70k Stock for now
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/593472

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

You guys are probably right, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

But if I did, I wouldn't be replacing it with anything. I'd just pocket the money and take care of my truck.

Unfortunately I fear my trans is nearing death. Take a listen:

In my dream world I'd like to do what Brad did with his car and adapt it to mine, find a low mile <100k used transmission...or rebuild mine but that is the more costly/difficult option...put an L26 into it, new shocks/struts/mounts/bearings all around, and replace the rear trans mount. If I did that I'd have basically a brand new car that would last me for years and years. Though, my fuel pump is sounding a little weird, too.

That's big bucks there though. I guess once I got back on my feet with my job I could take out a small loan, help build my credit and make myself a new car in the process, but I don't know. That's a lot of money on a car I don't even need, I just want.

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium • Super Black • Charcoal • VQ35DE • Bose • Factory HID • 5000k LED Int/Ext
_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

That's a nasty sound there. I'd get it checked out by a transmission shop.

Then, depending on the diagnosis, either sell it really fast, or drive it until it dies.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:06 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 06 Grand Prix LS4
I'm gonna sit on the side of parking it, fixing it up when the time comes. OR, if times get really tough, pull it out of storage and sell it.

It has only been 6 months, and I am already regretting selling my wrecked Bonnie.

Previous, 07 GP SE, 06 GP GXP, 97 SSE 40th, 96 LeSabre Custom, 93 SLE, 90 LeSabre Custom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:22 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2006 Chevy Silverado LT
1989 Camaro RS LT1
If it was a potential collectable/valuable car, I could see keeping it. I would rather pocket the money and place it in your S10, save it, or invest it in another car/truck you would like to work on in your spare time.

--1989 Camaro RS-LT1/700r4 drivetrain swap, Corvette trans internals w/2200 stall,
rebuilt engine with LT4 cam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Well guys, I'm gonna keep it. I will do what many of you guys suggested and just park it until I can fix it, starting it from time to time to keep the fluids moving and all. I don't know yet exactly what all I'd like to do, but I'd really like to just fix the *dang* thing once and for all, and stop having a "list" of things I wish I could do.

I dunno how long it will sit, probably a lot longer than I'd like. But I can guarantee it won't be making it to SEBF this year, which really sucks as I was hoping to bring it down again.

I know it isn't a collector's item, but the car is in such *dang* good shape otherwise, that with a solid powertrain and suspension I will have what amounts to a brand new car.

Just no sense in passing off a car like that, at least not to me. When I graduate and I want a comfortable, reliable automobile that I can feel classy in I'll have it, instead of having to settle for something cheap and used that I might not even like in the long run.

What sucks is that right now it runs and drives so nice. Shifts perfect even. Don and I discussed it in passing in the chat last night, and he thinks it might be a bushing in the torque converter, which makes sense considering where the noise is coming from and wouldn't cause any immediate drivability issues. Problem is, when it breaks, it can tear up much of the transmission with it and because I don't know exactly what I want to do yet (rebuild mine or replace with used trans) I would like to prevent that from happening. So what I'll end up doing is taking it for a couple of short "goodbye" drives around town, maybe out for one last photoshoot, and then park and cover it indefinitely.

I plan to save up around $3000, and that should cover an engine, transmission, shocks/struts/mounts/bearings, plus fluids and any other random parts that need to be replaced. The way I see it, that's a sound long term investment for a basically brand new, reliable car and will save me a bundle in the future, as I won't have to buy a car after graduation.

Also probably going to do some slight demodding. FWI will likely go, I'll sell it to someone here. My PLIM will also be up for sale, as I am hoping to put in an extremely low mile L26 in my car. But that's for later.

_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

A "car capsule" may be in order. Also, parking it over concrete will help keep the rust from setting in. Parking on grass is bad juju for later problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Car capsule?

It does have a nice concrete pad to park on, though!

_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

It keeps little nasties out of your car. It's also isolation from the ground so the tires don't dry-rot as quickly, and is a darn-near foolproof way of keeping stuff off your car. If I ever get a summer toy, I'm getting one to put the toy car in. No coming back to find a squirrel nest on the lower intake manifold again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:11 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Ah, the googlator has shown all.

That car capsule is sweet, but *dang* it's expensive! I'm hoping the car won't be sitting for more than a year, but who knows really.

Right now the plan is to put a light tarp over it, and then cover the whole thing with my heavy canvas car cover. The tarp will keep the water from touching the car, as the canvas tends to allow water to seep through...which doesn't make sense for a cover, but whatever. It does have a nice concrete pad to park on as I said earlier. I just hope I don't end up with any surprises whenever the French sword is ready to be road worthy again.

My parents suggested keeping the tag for reasons I can't remember, but I trust their judgement so it will be done. The insurance will be removed probably at the end of the month, so the final drive and parking will come soon.

_

Last edited by LeSabreUltra on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

IDK how it works down there. In NY where my car's registered, if I drop insurance I get a week or so to turn in my plates and registration. The only time we get to keep plates is when the state issues new designs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I know in MN the plates stay with the vehicle, no matter what. They don't get re-distributed or anything. They get changed every 7 years, and unless it's sold out of state, the plates stay on that vehicle for that 7 year period, or if it's parked, until it's re-registered, lol.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.