It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BBV mod.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 96 bonnie loaded SC (work in progress)
BBV mod.
I know this debate has been going on for a while and I have done my reserve on it. I understand the negatives and such. The only question I have is does it make the blower louder? That's honestly what I'm after. Zzp cam is going in the car and I'd like some whine with my lope. That's the honest to God truth, I'm just looking for the noise, as childish as it may seem I think it's cool lol. If this bov mod doest make it louder is there a way to make it louder? Thanks in advance guys

96 Bonneville S/C loaded with working ac scored for $400(needs trans but being built as we speak)

Post subject: Re: BBV mod.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
What mod would that be? I'm not aware of any mods to the Boost Bypass Valve.

The only way to make it louder is to fill the silencer ports. However, that involves welding by someone who's really experienced with a TIG welder welding aluminum castings. Otherwise you might blow a big chunk of aluminum through your engine. No bueno.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:52 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
to make blower whine, you put a cold air intake and bypass the stock airbox

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 pm 
LE Member

ok thanks i wasnt sure if it was doable without extencive work lol. but the mod im talking about is removing the BBV and using a bolt to lock the valve in the closed possition. It cases boost to come on quicker but causes a lot of serging issues and such ppl have been debating it for a whil but idk if i want to do it lol. thanks for the input tho guys.and i already have a CAI it increased sound a bit but nothing like i would like it lol. thanks again guys

96 Bonneville S/C loaded with working ac scored for $400(needs trans but being built as we speak)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 pm 
LE Member

the mod is removing the BBV and using a bolt to lock the valve inside in the closed position it makes boost come on faster but causes serging issues. I already have a CAI it didnt seem to make much diference but thankd you both for your input. i might just try the mod and see how it does and reistall if its a no go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 am 
LE Member

Sorry for the double reply didn't understand how this worked lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:32 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

That sounds silly. The second you touch the throttle it slams the BBV closed anyways. You only LOSE by doing this mod. Lose mileage, lose driveability, lose efficiency.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:37 am 
LE Member

Yeah I know the only reason I was considering it was Eaton said it was also used to quiet down the charger and the loss of millage would be OK if it got louder but it doesn't seem like it will make much difference, and I really don't want to hurt the charger or engine. I'll proly leave it alone and just have some work done to it later down the road. Thanks for your input man you been a big help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:14 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Yeah. Adding a cold-air intake with a cone-style element will make the whine louder. That's the easiest first step. Bypassing the BBV won't really do you much.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:28 pm 
LE Member

alright man thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
There are silencer ports in the bottom of the blower. That's what quiets the sound down, not the BBV.
Look at the outlet of the blows, looks like a "⬆️" at the bottom with a "/ ^ \" the 2 angled lines machined in the housing are the silencer ports. Ford SVT guys fill them to make the blowers louder... But idk if I want something that can come out into my motor. They use JB weld it looks like. Google "eaton super charger silencer" you will see how they do it.

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
redzmonte wrote:
There are silencer ports in the bottom of the blower. That's what quiets the sound down, not the BBV.
Look at the outlet of the blows, looks like a "⬆️" at the bottom with a "/ ^ \" the 2 angled lines machined in the housing are the silencer ports. Ford SVT guys fill them to make the blowers louder... But idk if I want something that can come out into my motor. They use JB weld it looks like. Google "eaton super charger silencer" you will see how they do it.

There are plenty of L67 Guys that have filled the silencer ports, it is recommended that an Intercooler be in place to catch anything that may come loose.

I have filled in the Silencer ports in my Gen V with JB weld and they lasted 50K miles until I removed the SC, for my MP112. On the 112 I had the Silencer ports Welded