It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1993 ssei intercooler?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1993 ssei supercharged bright white
Does anyone even know of such a thing? My eyes and hands are killing me looking for one, so my question is, is there even one made/available? I want to close up my silencer ports on the m62 and from what I found out, the best way to prevent any damage to the engine if any bits break loose they will just sit on the intercooler. I know they make IC's for m90 and m112 but I've got the gen I engine and I would have to get a bigger intake manifold which is a waaay huge pain in the butt, so anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI
NOW WITH BEAUTIFUL BLUE NEON UNDERGLOW
CERTIFIED EAGLE SCOUT MAY 19 2009
REFERRED TO BY EVERYONE AS JAMES BONDS WEEKEND CAR, REFERRED TO BY ME AS ANGEL

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Willwren made his own. It's the only one I know of.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:36 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1993 ssei supercharged bright white
Yea I read that post, he is the only one I was able to find that has one
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to have the ports sealed with? I've herd horror stories about JB welds breaking loose, others have suggested some kind of apoxy, which would be a safer bet, having sheet metal tacked into place or some other method of sealing them besides JB or should I just have the S/C ported?

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI
NOW WITH BEAUTIFUL BLUE NEON UNDERGLOW
CERTIFIED EAGLE SCOUT MAY 19 2009
REFERRED TO BY EVERYONE AS JAMES BONDS WEEKEND CAR, REFERRED TO BY ME AS ANGEL

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The only true way to fill them is to have them welded up by a welder who knows what the heck they're doing, then cleaned up and inspected to make sure the rotors aren't going to contact the welded patch.

Honestly, the M62 screams enough, especially for a daily driver. If you filled the ports it would likely be annoying more than cool. I don't believe anyone's done it on a L67, at least not that I've seen on the forums.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1988 Buick Lesabre T-type and 1997 Riviera
Yep no intercooler for the Series I. It would be custom made. i actually do have my M62 silencer ports blocked, but only by an expertly engineered and machined plate.

Fortunately, it is the opposite of annoying with a 2.5" pulley and lots of other mods ;) .

1997 Buick Riviera - 102,000 miles : Series II L67/4T65E-HD : Intense intake : Ported S/C outlet : Ported LIM : Yella Terra 1.8 Ratio Rockers : LS7 Lifters : PLOG : Hogan Downpipe : INTENSE 3.5" MPS : 180 degree thermostat : AL104's : AC Delco 8mm wires : Shift Kit : STS strut tower brace : Custom Rear Strut Brace : F41 Sway Bars : Monroe HD rear air shocks : HD sway bar links : DHP Tune :
1988 Buick Lesabre T-type - 127,000 miles : Series I L67 : 4T60E-HD : AL 104's : 180 degree thermostat : '97+ Ignition Coils : Intense FWI : Walbro 255 : 2.5" Stainless Exhaust : Flowmaster 40 Series : STB : 'Caddy' braces : hood louvers: Karma Kustoms Ported M62 : Non-walled LIM : YT 1.8:1 rockers : LS7 Lifters : 2.4" S/C pulley : Custom PCV Oil bypass : B&M Trans Cooler : Sinister Tune

I also run the Buick Lesabre T-type Registry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
There's no such thing as too much SC whine.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:35 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SSEi
speaking of WillWren's intercooler, a friend and I are trying replicate his setup for our 2 S1's, does anyone know or have links to either contact him (haven't seen recent posts from him in years) or find out what he used for a core in the LIM? in all my reading on his posts, that's the one thing I have yet to see him mention. I know it was modified from it's original design, but I don't know what he started with...
any help would be greatly appreciated... I know after all was said and done, he said that it worked exceptionally well, and we are hitting a wall with our builds, we need to IC to go with any smaller pullies, and we don't want to go with NOS or Meth or some other spray system that would need to be refilled regularly, we want something that will work full time without issues...
any assistance is greatly appreciated...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I vaguely remember something about a Ford Probe or a Mazda something.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
If you plan to replicate his setup, please also take note of his lessons learned.

One of his largest complaints was that of the power characteristics of the engine. Series 1 is notorious for very heavy low end torque, which is greatly amplified when the mods start going in, to the point of being downright destructive to drivetrain mounts, transmission, and differential.

A custom cam may be worth considering if you want to stay with Series 1.

Remember, Willwren only ever bested a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile, even on slicks. He was very good at breaking things.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:57 pm 
LE Member

RJolly87 wrote:
If you plan to replicate his setup, please also take note of his lessons learned.

One of his largest complaints was that of the power characteristics of the engine. Series 1 is notorious for very heavy low end torque, which is greatly amplified when the mods start going in, to the point of being downright destructive to drivetrain mounts, transmission, and differential.

A custom cam may be worth considering if you want to stay with Series 1.

Remember, Willwren only ever bested a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile, even on slicks. He was very good at breaking things.

yah, I remember reading fairly regularly how he kept breaking mounts and/or driveline, lol... good advice... tho the torque curve of the S1 is one of the main reasons I like them so much. I am planning to have an F40 6-spd behind it in the long run, so cruising between 15 and 1800rpm will make good use of that torque to hopefully stay over 30mpg, even with substantial mods.
also, just to note, this engine is not in a Bonne anymore, it is a swap into an 85 Fiero with the factory 4-spd manual transmission (for now), with custom built headers (under construction, based on the S1 front manifolds) and true dual exhaust (2 1/4" for now, but will upgrade to 2.5" later if the mods exceed the current design capabilities. unless I can come up with an intercooler setup, the power isn't going to be more than the 2 1/4 can handle) and open flowing bottle mufflers. right now I'm just trying to work the bugs out of the swap, it's still not complete and the engine only runs if I bottle feed it. once I get it running on it's own, then I plan to drop the cradle and fix the original builder's mistakes (engine sits at wrong angle, mounts have to be modified, and the current exhaust will be removed, as they were trying to pipe both sides thru the original Fiero 2" muffler system), plus I need to figure out how to hook the engine into the cooling system, and make the shifter cables work around the bigger engine. still lots to do, but I'd like to get started on the IC as soon as possible, as I know it will take time and money to construct, neither of which I have in sufficient supply right now, lol...

A custom cam is already under consideration. my partner had one done for his old car that seemed to work pretty well, including bigger rockers (376whp, according to his dyno specs), but unfortunately he let the car go and it ended up in a wrecker some distance away from him. to our knowledge it's already gone to the crusher before we actually decided to team up long distance to try again. I know he was looking into trying to track down the information as to where he got the cam done and what the specs were, not sure if he's found any info yet or not, we haven't discussed it in a while.
but in my case, with the mounts already being custom built, and the car being 1000lbs lighter than a Bonneville, and my engine being on a 4pt mounting system, I should (hopefully) have less issues than WillWren did, lol. I know my tranny should hold up to the extra power with no issues, if the clutch goes, it's not a big deal to upgrade to something bigger, and axles I have sources to have heavier duty ones built if I start breaking them too often...

one other thing I will say is that the engine is a 92 with about 65,000km, but I have a 95 blower/TB for it, as well as I am in the process of upgrading from the 92 PCM to a 94 SSEi PCM I got from a wreckers a couple months ago (both to match up with the updated blower, and to hopefully correct the no fuel issue I'm currently having)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm 
LE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
I vaguely remember something about a Ford Probe or a Mazda something.

isn't that what people were using for the S2's?
I know looking at the pics on some of his posts, it almost looks more like an oil cooler than a heater core...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Maybe? It's been a while.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm 
LE Member

yah, for sure... what ever happened to WillWren anyways? does anyone know? all I know is that his posts stopped a few years ago... is he OK? did something happen to him, or did he just get out of 3800 stuff for some reason?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Life got in the way. He used to spend a ton of his time on here. I don't think the balance was working.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
LE Member

ah, OK... yah, like you say, he used to be online seemingly all the time, I just wondered if something happened to him... I think I tried PM'ing him some time ago on one of the forums, but got no response...