It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smaller belt question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:25 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1993 ssei supercharged bright white
Hi all, I've wanted to make my supercharger whine a bit more so I got a CAI, now I've been looking around and they say that short of getting a different supercharger they reccomend getting a smaller belt. Now I have a few questions on that, first what size belt should I get, second will this cause the supercharger from kicking on earlier before half throttle, third will this put significantly more stress on the engine itself bc it's 21 years old with 185k on the clock, fourth how will it increase the whine bc I really don't understand how, fifth will it put more stress on any engine components other that the actually engine, sixth will it put significantly more stress on the supercharger itself which I'm not too worried about bc it's got a lifetime warrantee and seventh is there any other concerns I need to be made aware of when doing something like this to such an old engine, thanks in advance!!

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI
NOW WITH BEAUTIFUL BLUE NEON UNDERGLOW
CERTIFIED EAGLE SCOUT MAY 19 2009
REFERRED TO BY EVERYONE AS JAMES BONDS WEEKEND CAR, REFERRED TO BY ME AS ANGEL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick Park Ave
1-How will a smaller belt change the whine at all? Do you mean smaller pulley, and then smaller belt?

2-Boost control is vacuum operated, not belt.

3-If you mean a smaller pulley, it will likely cause damage if you do not change the flash on the e-prom in the pcm.

4-I don't either.

5-A new belt will not stress the engine components.

6-A new belt will not put stress on the sc.

7-You first and foremost need to understand what you want, and how to achieve it. It sounds like someone explained something to you that you may not fully understand, and are then explaining it here incorrectly from what they said, or meant.

Not to offend, it could also be your sentence structure. I know I am far from perfect, and not trying to be a grammar nazi, but your post is really hard to comprehend, and hurts my eyes to read. Using some sort of punctuation makes it much easier to get your point across.

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:31 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
It's not the smaller belt that does anything. It's the smaller pulley you put on, necessitating the smaller belt. You're spinning the supercharger faster, which will slightly increase whine.

Before you think about putting on a smaller pulley, you need to scan for Knock Retard, and make sure your fuel system is up to the task, as well as make sure the rest of your maintenance is up to spec.

Your S/C is always "kicked on". It should be making boost well before half throttle, you just might not hear it as much.

Also, have you read this? performance/topic24362.html

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

That's what I ment to say smaller pully, and what u described seems very complicated to change, I enjoy DIY car projects but when it comes to computer stuff I don't go anywhere near it, would my mechanic know exactly what to do? My car has been going there for 13 years so they know it very well, and trust me Wes, you are in no way shape or form offending me, that's how I learn, by my mistakes and then someone like you who is clearly more knowledgable on the subject than I am explaining to me what I did wrong and how to fix it, and I greatly appreciate you answering all my questions individually rather than all generally. So would you be able to dumb down what I should do and explain to me what exactly I'm asking for here, bc by your post it seems I have almost no clue what I'm trying to ask here lol

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
LADIES CALL IT A ROLLING CLUB, I GUESS THE VIBRATIONS GET THEM READY FOR SOME FUN
SSEI= SSEXI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

What is knock retard 00beast? And u said that the supercharger will spin faster, do I have to worry about added stress to the aging engine? ( and feel free guys to call me an idiot bc I really want to do this I just have less than 0 clue how to) and 00beast, are these things that my mechanic can handle? The car has been going to then for over 13 years so they know it very very well

2000 WATT ALPINE AMP
SSEI= SSEXI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick Park Ave
ricosuave420 wrote:
That's what I ment to say smaller pully, and what u described seems very complicated to change, I enjoy DIY car projects but when it comes to computer stuff I don't go anywhere near it, would my mechanic know exactly what to do? My car has been going there for 13 years so they know it very well, and trust me Wes, you are in no way shape or form offending me, that's how I learn, by my mistakes and then someone like you who is clearly more knowledgable on the subject than I am explaining to me what I did wrong and how to fix it, and I greatly appreciate you answering all my questions individually rather than all generally. So would you be able to dumb down what I should do and explain to me what exactly I'm asking for here, bc by your post it seems I have almost no clue what I'm trying to ask here lol

First of all, thank you for not taking offense, it was absolutely only meant to help. Very mature approach. Hats off.

I think Ed described it well. It sounds like you are looking to get a smaller pulley which would make the sc spin faster, and thus get more whine. I would start by following his advice and making sure you are running 100% before any additional performance mods. The tech info he linked contains some good information to take in as well. I am also not certain you could find a smaller pulley for the generation Eaton on your car. Iirc there used to be a company called "pulley boys" that made them, not sure if they are still around.

I am not familiar with the shop you take it to, but I would bet that they will not have the hardware to re-flash the prom.

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Knock Retard is where the engine removes timing due to knock, to try and compensate for the situation. The problem is that it's already occurred, along with potential damage.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.