It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low Boost
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:22 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Ok, couple questions.
1. Due to lack of oil the supercharger ran dry which wore its bearings which wore the inside of the body, so could this wear cause almost a complete loss of boost?
(needle may move slightly)(Also bearing have been replaced)
2. Before the damage the boost gauge read -70 idling. Now the Boost gauge reads -5 to 0 why is that?
3. If the wear couldn't cause the loss of vacuum/Boost what could? (I've checked the BCA and am pretty sure it's working correctly Still need to check the BCS but doubt it's that)

Any help would be appreciated, I always assumed that the wear was causing the loss of Boost but the loss of vacuum confused me. Unfortunately I can't trouble shoot for the next day or two as i have the steering column disassembled and little time to work on it. When i get a moment I'll do a more thorough check on the Vacuum tubes and do some off the problem solving test such as removing Vac line from BCS + BCA seeing if boost rises and arm properly Extends/Retracts.

P.S. I vaguely remember rebuilding the supercharger think it was a .1mm-.2mm gap between the rotors and the body. Although I really couldn't say for sure it was about 2 years ago.

Post subject: Re: Low Boost
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
It sounds as if you may have a break in the vacuum line leading to the BCS. A common failure is the vacuum T in the LIM under the supercharger snout.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
A 94 won't have the t-fitting under there. The boost reading comes from a line that runs from under the MAP over to the vacuum tree near the front driver side corner of the SC case.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:28 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
So, it was all damaged and you rebuilt it yourself? What all did you rebuild? I'm just wondering if the seals for the bearings in the center rotor plate aren't leaking because they were damaged...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thx for the replies.

Would a leak in the vacuum line cause any other effect to the engine that might help me identify it quicker?

@00Beast Like i said the repairs where done a few years ago and I'm struggling to remember what was repaired. I think the rotor bearings where done and i think most seals, or any that where removed where done. It was just to ensure no more wear could occur. Would this kind of leak make a noise? (not that it's easy to hear a slight noise with a engine revving right below it.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
J Wikoff wrote:
A 94 won't have the t-fitting under there.
Oops. I should have paid more attention to the year.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Just so everyone knows it was a couple disconnected vacuum pipes very little loss in actual boost and engine runs a lot better now i just gotta get on top of the front struts and the blower control module so i doesn't look like I'm driving a lowrider when i hit bumps.