It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:31 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1991 SSE+I. 1994 ssei
I have a 1996 bonneville ssei it runs great but the supercharger is rattling when alot of boost put through it and at idle. have been to three shops first one said belt tensioner other two say supercharger. pulled the belt off and the sc pulley has alot of play seems like the whole shaft had play . ive read about the coupler but dont know where to have it done or if I could myself. priced out a remaned sc but would like to know if the coupler might be a cheaper more proper fix . what kind of shop should I look for?

im pretty sure the play is just left and right it only does it at idle and when the belt is off the rattle is definately from the supercharger not the tensioner. I was getting ready to order whole new supercharger. so if it only has left to right play its the coupler? and if it has play in and out i should get a whole new supercharger? thanks for all the info I just dont want to spend 600 if I dont have too. ( it was the coupler

if it does have in and out play can the bearings in the nose be redone? or is it a whole new sc needed? sorry about all the questions but this seems to be the only place I can get a straight forward answer without a shop seeing money symols fly in front of their eyes Laughing (nose can be rebuilt)

WCBF '08

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

is there anything specific I need to know about taking the nose off and getting the bearings out, that is if I can get a shop with a hydraulic press to put them in? and is there anything else I should do while im at it? also if its running good but rattles and has play in the sc pulley
then the coupler and bearings shou7ld fix this problem right? Question

it sounds like the nose would do it im going to pull off the bely agin to confirm and listen with a stethoscope. if its still the same im off to try to find a shop to do the work I can not thanks for all of your help and I will post the results when (I get them. also will try to find out when and where the next western meet is so I can come up and maybe learn some more things I could do to my bonnie to sup her up thanks again

well the coupler and plugs are done no more rattle at idle still some at boost from a stop. also when im going 55 mph and floor it the boost builds up fine but the car just kinda falls flat on its face? any ideas? im going mon to have a live scan on it and have the tranny checked out but if anyone has any suggestions before then please let me know. once I get it back from the tranny shop and I see what thats going to cost me then ill deal with the lim gasket. also my oil smells like gas, I had a bad wire causing a misfire for about a week, would this make my oil smell like gas? thanks again for everyones help

WCBF '08

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:37 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

not really a induction question just didnt want to start a whole new post. I just got my factory manuals and cant seem to find location of pcv or any info on it would it be called something else? (its under the engine cover in the top of SC)

sorry about all the questions but here comes another Embarassed on the lim gasket did I read somewhere that there are ones with aluminum that are better or are the ones from intense that dont have the aluminum around them ok? (aluminum is the way to go)

"and switch to Prestone Long-Life DEX compatible antifreeze" i am reading different things here is the dex compatible what I want or do I want the prestone long life non dex compatible the quote is from the dex link willwren sent me so now im confused again, I need to get all the stuff soon so some clarification would be great thanks again Smile(prestone with any mix or color)

alright still having a few issues I know the lim is leaking and the valve cover gaskets are bad and throttle body is most likely dirty all of those are being fixed next week. along with the 180 thermostat. heres the issues :
1: when giving full boost still have a knocking sound ( possibly belt tensioner?) goes away after a min or so
2: when going uphill at 60 mph plus and put the pedal to the floor the car wont accellerate the boost gauge goes up like it should and the rpms stay the same but no kickdown or acceleration? also right after this happens the car studders or surges a bit but just for a second

things that have been done: transmission tested and has a clean bill of health(aamco ), new belden wires, ac delco irridium plugs, new coupler in nosedrive, new pcv valve, cleaned maf sensor, new air filter, cleaned all coils

when on flat surface or downhill this doesnt seem to happen the car idles smoothly and runs great with these exceptions any ideas? I have to have this thing running top notch so I can bring her to the meet Twisted Evil
well the intakes and valve cover gaskets are all done but I think my boost solenoid is going and I cant seem to find one anywhere or if thats what its even called if anyone could direct me to that spot it would be greatly appreciated thanks again for everyones help. now I just have to replace my oil sending unit and the sending unit for my temp gauge because its reading about 35 degrees hotter than its running. once I find the boost solenoid and do the senders I think and hope i will be done for awhile Rolling Eyes(the two speed fuel pump was going out)

WCBF '08