It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Methanol/water injection
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
What little bit I've found on injecting a S/c 3800 has said that's it's pretty hit or miss and hasn't been tried to many times. If anyone has any knowledge on the subject whatsoever it's be great if you could throw it on here. There's a lot to gain from injecting an engine, at least on other applications and it causes me to be curious why the 3800 is any different. Also any info about the best possible setup would be good too.
Thanks,
Derek

1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi -CLear Corners (Front and Back) -VHT Tails -Black Crosslace Rims - 5% Limo Tint all around -Red LED Interior Footwell Lights -Rockford Fosgaste 6X9's -Pioneer Head Unit -Red Neon Ground Effects -Lund Hood Scoops -AVS Headlight Blackouts
1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSE -Black w/ Grey Interior (Parts Car)
1978 Trans Am - 4 spd 400 T-Tops Black exterior (around the rust) with Carmine red cloth interior

Last edited by Rapp16 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 am 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Haven't found a whole lot of info either for our platform besides the "hit or miss" comment. I was also trying to figure out how our setup makes it "not worth" doing. I've read many Cobalt SC guys do this with good results. Only one I know of that runs W/M Injection is 2000SilverBullet and Willwren used to, though I think he still has the setup for cleaning purposes.

I found a fender mounted kit for roughly $200 that I'm looking at getting in the spring. Looking to figure things out on my own.

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
The Snow Performance injection kit I use works well but is a little impractical for running on the street. I know some turbo diesel owners that use it effectively but they can have a huge reservoir in their bed that lasts them over a tank of fuel....4 hours. My little two quart tank will only last for about 6 minutes of WOT or 20 minutes of spirited driving. Great for the track and will zero knock up to 16 psi boost. I can get away with a 2.9" pulley on a Gen V if that tells you anything.

Keeps the rotors and top end licky clean as an added bonus.

I added an after SC temp probe and it will drop the temp by 50 F. Not as good an intercooler but I think it's a lot safer.

Been running it for five summers now. Only had to replace the check valve once because I didn't drain it over the winter and it corroded the valve shut.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
I'm the only one that's run it on a Series 1. I've run 3 home-built systems since 2002, and I've found that it's really not worth it for the trouble and time involved. Spend your money on rockers, an intake, and a PCM tune first. You'll be far happier. The results vary, and just aren't up to snuff with what you read about.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

I'm not planning on installing it on my current '95. I'm hoping to purchase a new Bonneville, 00-03 most likely and that's where I was looking to apply it.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi -CLear Corners (Front and Back) -VHT Tails -Black Crosslace Rims - 5% Limo Tint all around -Red LED Interior Footwell Lights -Rockford Fosgaste 6X9's -Pioneer Head Unit -Red Neon Ground Effects -Lund Hood Scoops -AVS Headlight Blackouts
1978 Trans Am - 4 spd 400 T-Tops Black exterior (around the rust) with Carmine red cloth interior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Get an intercooler instead. Much better investment. Or other power-adding hard parts. This should never be near the top of your mod list, and certainly never the first thing considered.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

What is it about an intercooler that is so standout from water/meth injection? A lot of users of injection are die hards and swear by it. It's also very healthy for your engine, thusly prolonging the life of the engine, and adds quite a bit of horsepower when applied correctly. I'm still curious as to why the 3800 isn't as efficient with an injection system.I asked for info not instructions lol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
An intercooler doesn't need refilling every 3 passes at the track...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:09 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Which isn't a problem at the track..........but on the street, yes.
I have a level light that comes on when the tank is 5 minutes from empty that helps so I don't go WOT with an empty tank.
Usually I leave it off and only arm it when I want to play so it's not toooo bad. :roll:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:54 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

And a trunk mounted high capacity tank isn't just wishful thinking right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

You lose trunk space, and still have to goof around filling, or pulley-ing up w/o it. It's like nitrous. Great when the bottle is full, but it only lasts so long.

I would do a lot of other things before doing W/M. Cam/Rockers, P&P, etc. If I was looking for that 11.999 run and needed one more mod, then I might consider a W/M kit to break the edge.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:39 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
On an L67, an intercooler will allow far more power per dollar than any kind of W/M injection. There is no argument, but I just realized you have a Series 1, and there aren't any intercoolers for your car (except one working prototype built by yours truly, currently being redesigned.

That being said, spend your money on rockers and a pulley, and save the rest for your trans rebuild. That's a FAR better investment than water/meth injection, and you can trust me on that. I've played with it for years, and the horsepower return versus money spent is paltry at best.

Minimal horsepower gain and very negligible internal engine benefits do not make this a wise investment for an L67. On other applications, maybe. But not under your hood. And I'm not even factoring in the inconvenience or risk to your motor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '02 SSEi
I'm curious to explore the claims that an ic is such a good bang for the buck. I have no idea what power gains they're realistically worth, but they're ghastly expensive.

Meth injection may have its drawbacks but I imagine with a progressive boost referenced controller and sufficiant resevoir one could go a while on a fill. Now thatss not to say its a good entry level mod but I've never heard it so wholly discounted as on hear. As the OP, I wondeer why.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:42 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

I of course have always been an advocate of M/W injection but have always cautioned people about its drawbacks. It too is expensive if you do it right like I did. Almost as much as an intercooler set up. Cost me about $1,000 and I did the entire install.
Even with my progressive controller the 1/2 gallon reservoir will only last for 20 minutes of spirited driving or 3 to 4 quarter mile passes running WOT particularly when running 15 psi of boost.

The biggest risk is unknowingly running out of fluid and blowing the engine......even with a low reservoir light like I have (its been known to fail).
The intercooler pump is low pressure high volume whereas the M/W injection pump is high pressure low volume.
Another risk with M/W injection is the possibility of a line connection failing due to high pressure. I know this happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Just to double check my research, what does a fullstack IC go for and what is the omparative power potential? I've considered opening an intercooler thread as well becaue I love the idea and would jump at it if it weren't so expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
A short stack IC is much more affordable, and is easily more efficient and more capable than M/W injection. Water injection CAN be cheaper, but the cheaper you go, the less effective. An IC is a near-zero maintenance item as well.

I've run 3 different home-built versions of WI on Zilla, as well as a prototype IC I built myself. The IC was far and away more power added.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

willwren wrote:
A short stack IC is much more affordable, and is easily more efficient and more capable than M/W injection. Water injection CAN be cheaper, but the cheaper you go, the less effective. An IC is a near-zero maintenance item as well.

I've run 3 different home-built versions of WI on Zilla, as well as a prototype IC I built myself. The IC was far and away more power added.

I want! Stop making me think these thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
You're lucky. You can buy. I had to build. The SSIC is a great compromise between performance and budget, particularly for a daily driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:38 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

willwren wrote:
You're lucky. You can buy. I had to build. The SSIC is a great compromise between performance and budget, particularly for a daily driver.

The only prices I see on them are over $1000. I saw a wbs full stack for $925. I could do headers and rockers with a pulley for that. Although as a full kit i guess its not so obscene. And it does seem like about the smartest mod I can think of after a cai.

Edit: ZZP ss ic kit is $600. Duh. That's not bad. Could always add a core to it later on as well.

Last edited by yourgrandma on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

All the guys with short stacks say they regret not just getting a full core. Do it once, do it right or don't do it, IMHO.

Sirius wrote: