It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:06 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Bonneville SSEI, Gold
I only get about 4 pounds of boost out of my bonne. I dont know wether or not to replace my boost actuator or if i should evaluate other potential possibilities. And i need personal opinions on if i should put a grand into my 95 ssei engine w/ 130,000. or should i buy new one with lower miles to "beef up".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
A grand for what?

First thing to try. Locate the boost control actuator (BCA). It's a black cylinder on the front side of the supercharger near the throttle body with vacuum lines running to the top and bottom. Pull the vacuum line off the bottom and see if your boost comes back. If it does, you need the boost control solenoid (BCS). It's the little box on the other end of the vacuum line you pulled off the bottom of the BCA. They are getting hard to find new, so a trip to the junkyard might be in order.

If that does not help, you need to look at the arm coming out the bottom of the BCA. When the car is off, is the little foot attached to it resting on a little nub attached to the base of the supercharger? If yes, good. Start the car, pull the vacuum line off the top of the BCA. Does it rest on the nub? If you can answer no to either, try to get the arm to move in and out by hand to make sure it can can make the full travel. Check for mechanical binding. It it seems free to move with just smooth springy resistance, listen for hissing that would indicate a vacuum leak in the BCA. At that point, you will likely need a new BCA. Hard to find new again. Try the junkyard.

If the BCA and BCS both seem fine, take some TB cleaner, and spray it at gasketed locations around the top of the engine with it idleing. If the idle changes when you spray any certain area, you may have a vacuum leak that in someway limits your boost.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

Last edited by J Wikoff on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Any update?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: .
1994 Bonneville SSEI
2006 Grand Prix GXP
For such a comprehensive reply somehow i dont even think he read it...
Thanks J.

06 Grand Prix GXP Diablosport Trinity , No DOD , Transgo SK , MSD 8.5MM Wires , NGK TR6IX plugs , LED's , Optima RedTop , Projector Retro , 3K Fogs , 20" Led Driving light , K&N CAI w/ Volant oversize air filter , Raybestos Brakes
94 SSEi NGK Plugs , Blue Streak Wires , Pulled Maf screen , Custom Exhaust , Raybestos Brakes , 12" MTX Audio sub and amp , Piaa Plasma Ion Foglight Housings , HIR His' and Lows' , Tinted Tails