It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:44 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1992 Olds Toronado Base
Hello all. I kno i dont have a bonneville (i was looking into getting one sometime soon) but i do have the 3800 motor that we all love. I have a Series I 1992 Toronado. I got this site from a friend at 3800Pro.com and i wanted to know what anyone knows about supercharging the Series I or if it is even possible for that matter. I really would like to S/C this engine and i dont have the funds right now to drop a Series II or III. So any help would be awesome!!! Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
You can do it. A few have done it, but they didn't last super long because of weaker rotating assemblies. The more dependable way to go would be to get a S1 L67 and drop it in. There would be a little wiring to do, for the boost control solenoid, EGR, knock sensor placement. You can use the same PCM, just need to swap the chip inside and get the extra wiring to it.

To drop the SC on, you'd need the LIM, SC, fuel rail, I don't remember if the injectors are different, boost control hardware, front manifold, EGR, PCM chip, misc wiring, crank pulley, accessory bracket, steering pump might be different, throttle bracket, some more stuff probably.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 am 
LE Member

yea i was thinking that dropping a new one in would be the best way. i was hoping that there was just a bolt on supercharger that i could do a top swap with (kinda like with a non s/c and a s/c series II.) But thanks alot!!! Im sure u guys could help me out alot here as far as engine work an things like that.

J Wikoff wrote:
You can do it. A few have done it, but they didn't last super long because of weaker rotating assemblies. The more dependable way to go would be to get a S1 L67 and drop it in. There would be a little wiring to do, for the boost control solenoid, EGR, knock sensor placement. You can use the same PCM, just need to swap the chip inside and get the extra wiring to it.

To drop the SC on, you'd need the LIM, SC, fuel rail, I don't remember if the injectors are different, boost control hardware, front manifold, EGR, PCM chip, misc wiring, crank pulley, accessory bracket, steering pump might be different, throttle bracket, some more stuff probably.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:40 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
I've done it. And no, it didn't last long...but, I was pushing the boundaries way too far too. First, read this:
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... f=44&t=194, then come back to this post.

Good, you're back. Now then, my mode of failure was wiping out every mother-loving bearing surface in that motor. I didn't burn any pistons, or break any rods. With that said...then, yes you can supercharge these motors, but that doesn't mean you should. And finding a low-mileage, S1 L67, is getting harder to do by the day. If you feel that you must have boost, transplant in a Series II drivetrain (or better yet the Series III with Series II induction pieces). As small as that Toronado is, you won't be disappointed in it.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Maybe if you run a 94/95 pulley on an 92/93 SC, it'll keep the boost to a low enough level that it'll delay possible failure?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:44 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

That's entirely possible. If that's done, It'll run a little bit richer than a normal L67 would, which wouldn't be a bad thing with the L27 bottom end. You will want to upgrade to the 1993 and up heads, and use new(er) style rockers found in all Series 1s starting in '94.

Also, if you go this route, you can still use your original PCM but you MUST change out the MEMCAL or have it reflashed with an L67 tune (and correct gear ratio for whatever trans you plan on running). You will also need to run boost control wires from the PCM to the boost control solenoid.

BonneMe wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm 
LE Member

ok so with all that in mind, what vehicle has the Series I L67??? I know the Series II comes in the GTP, Regal GS, Park Ave, and some Bonnevilles. I priced a new L67 Series II and right now it is a bit out of my price range. The J/Y has 3800 GALORE!!! But im a bit scared to get one of those because i dont kno the condition nor do i know how the previous owner treated it. Just for the sake of this convo, what would I look for in a J/Y engine to see if it is useable??? (i already know mileage but other than that)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:53 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any S1 L67s that come from a yard, especially a U-pull-it one. The last time they were available new was 1995, so finding any that are low mileage will be very difficult. Adding to that, most cars that came with the L67 had digital odometers, making verifying the mileage impossible. (Buick PA Ultras didn't have digital odometers I don't think). If you must buy used, make sure it has a compression check done and is warrantied.

BonneMe wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:05 am 
LE Member

ok so what other cars had the S1 L67?