It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:11 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Author : Willwren

Taillight blackout using VHT
Nightshades tint (link to the before and after pictures are at the end of the instructions):

1. Get the tint. Just about any auto parts store can get it for you. I had mine overnighted, but you can also order it through www.summitracing.com you'll
have to pay shipping and wait for it. It's VHT Nightshades (the hi-temp paint people), and judging by the smell of the stuff, it' ain't coming off with alcohol....
especially after clearcoating. The part number is VHT-SP999. It's a 7oz can, they don't carry the 11oz. Buy two just to make sure.

2. Remove all 4 pieces of your taillights. Each fixture has 3 nuts to be removed. Mark your lamp assemblies with tape if you're
not sure where they go. Remember, it'll be 4-6 hours before you put this back together.

3. Thoroughly clean each lens with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Mask off everything except the lenses with masking tape and newspaper. If you have tinted windows on your car, or if you plan to, mask off your reverse light lenses. You won't want to sacrifice any of this light with dark windows. Use the blue or green painter's tape.

4. Lay all 4 pieces in a protected, masked-off area in a horizontal position. This spray is very thin and likes to run. Spray one LIGHT coat on each part. Let it dry for at least 5 minutes, and repeat. VHT recommends 3 coats. You want to do one coat at a time on all 4 pieces to keep the amount of tint uniform among all pieces. I did 4 coats to hide some blemishes and lens delamination. 3 wasn't quite enough to hide this. The amount of VHT applied each coat is dependent on the person and technique. You may need more or less, but keep all pieces even. You may want to wet sand with 1000 grit between coats, and before clear/satin sealer coat.

5. Let the tint dry for a minimum of 3-4 hours after the last coat. If you don't like the matte finish, I suggest 2 coats of Krylon Acrylic Satin Clearcoat. It dries very fast. Apply these coats 5 minutes
apart, and let dry for 30 minutes after the last coat.

6. Remove all masking EXCEPT the reverse lenses. Before pulling the masking tape from the reverse lenses, carefully score the edge of the tape with a razor blade or small X-acto knife so the tape doesn't peel the tint. Now carefully remove the tape.

7. Re-install your lights in the car, and prepare to look cool.

You can see before and after pics of my Blackout at http://www.williamwren.com/blackout.html

Author : Willwren