It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: '02 Bonne SE
I have been having issues with my '02 SE since August. First the AC would turn on and off as it pleased. Next, I started losing interior lights and cig lighter/outlets. Took it to a Saturn dealer in a snow storm when the heat died. Charged me $153 to fix a short ground and some fuses. Ok, got heat, lights, lighter, all happy....for a week...then the heat died again...kick under the pass side of the dash and heat comes on...ok so that works for a while, now NO HEAT. Took it to a GM dealer who said $600 to replace the HVAC module to see if that fixes the problem with the heat/AC, lights, heated seat, etc. Sorry, but I am not able to hand out $600 to "see if that is the problem" and still not have heat when they're done. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the module?

Any input appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Welcome. By saying kicking under the dash, the heat came back....are you referring specifically to just the heat, or are you talking about the blower (fan) that then started running?

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The heat (blower fan) would come on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
DebinNY wrote:
The heat (blower fan) would come on.

I've seen a couple people comment the connector had a burned pin in it from a poor connection. Others just have the blower motor not making contact sometimes and a little vibration causes the brushes to contact and off it goes.

There are two blower motors for 2002. One does not have a cooling tube that returns a little of the air it's blowing into the motor itself to cool the motor. The second design has a cooling tube and is a silver motor housing.

It's about $117 for a AC Delco for the first design and $155 for the second design or a Delphi part is about $60 from what I found on Rockauto.com.

My own 2003 occasionally doesn't make contact so I read your post with interest of my own!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I agree that the connector or blower motor are the most likely suspects.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Well, I know the blower motor has silver housing as I had looked around in there last summer when the AC started acting up. If I had a place to work I could change it myself but it's too cold for that here now so off to another dealer this morning to figure it out. It is way too dangerous to drive when you can't see out the windows and I haven't mastered the ability to scrape the windows while driving.

Thanks for the input...will post later (if laptop decides it wants to work..I think the battery is making it freeze up when it is charged...works fine on AC with a dead battery....)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

:banana: WOOOHOO I HAVE HEAT!!!

Took it to the dealer this morning and it was the blower motor...so now I have heat :laughing3:

The dome lights and stuff were just more blown fuses....why do the same fuses keep going every few months?!!

Since I had the car there anyway I had them replace the intermediate steering shaft (again...first time at 35k).

So all's good again with my beloved Bonne. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
My car seems to get this problem intermittently. I guess I'll have to pull out the service manuals and look at it. Mine works when it wants to, though, and no amount of banging on it will get it to work, lol.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.