It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 SSE
My 1990 SSE comes with the factory keyless entry, and this part has gone wrong.

Car unlocks the doors and pops up the trunk randomly and keeps repeating that in a short time. It may do that while being driven or parked.

Sometimes I woke up and found that the car unlocked itself and popped up the trunk at night... It would even do that even I took the batteries out of the key fob, so I don't think the key fob is sending signal.

The key fob was new and programmed at GM this summer, so the battery is fine. Sometimes I can unlock/lock the car with the key fob, but sometimes the alarm would just go off if I hit any button. I need to stick the key in the keyhole to silent it. Even I am using the key only, it would still do that randomly.

I already bought a NOS keyless entry module. My guess would be the faulty alarm module, the previous owner had it replaced in 2001, I guess it had gone wrong again. Or bad wiring? Bad connector?

The car is original, no aftermarket parts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
There wasn't a factory alarm option for the car. What's your keyfob look like?

15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Easy Performance Gen 3 Air/Fuel Calibrator, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, McCoy Motorsports Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors.
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim Trailblazer mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:18 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
There wasn't a factory alarm option for the car. What's your keyfob look like?

The factory keyless option was stated on the window sticker. The car has the "This car is protected by a factory installed alarm system" sticker on the window. According to wikipedia, the keyless option started in '89.
It has the three-button key fob like many 90's GM cars.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Factory keyless was an option. The alarm wasn't. At least, in the 19 years I've been following Bonnevilles, I haven't seen one. I've seen some aftermarket add-ons that use the factory FOB.

Regardless, can you find the alarm module? Maybe we can go from there.

15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Easy Performance Gen 3 Air/Fuel Calibrator, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, McCoy Motorsports Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors.
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim Trailblazer mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:55 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
Factory keyless was an option. The alarm wasn't. At least, in the 19 years I've been following Bonnevilles, I haven't seen one. I've seen some aftermarket add-ons that use the factory FOB.

I did find a NOS #10178756 alarm module for my car, I will have the shop install and reprogram the key fob.

I suspect the alarm module is acting up because the previous owner kept all the service records, the module went bad once in 2000 and was replaced.

By the way, is there an "anti theft mode" in the keyless entry system? Because the car won't start if the alarm is triggered. I have to deactivate it by inserting the key in the key hole. My window has the "Protected with a theft deterrent radar system" sticker, can it be a dealer-installed item?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:36 am 
SE Member
SE Member

J Wikoff wrote:

Btw, where's the keyless relay located at? I read the manual and the fuse chart didn't show the location of the keyless relay. Since the keyless wasn't a popular option, most auto parts stores don't even show any available relay for a 1990 SSE. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I think the "theft deterrent radio system" is the radio that locks itself when removed from the car.

I am remembering the keyless entry module is on the passenger side kinda behind the glovebox.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
The 89 LE we had when I was a kid had that sticker, but didn't even have keyless entry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 am 
SE Member
SE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
The 89 LE we had when I was a kid had that sticker, but didn't even have keyless entry.

The radio is called a "radar system?" That's so 90's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Read the sticker again. Does it say radio?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:19 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
Read the sticker again. Does it say radio?

Oh yeah, I misread it, it says radio.
However, I looked up in the owner's manual, in the section "Theft Deterrent System" states that the alarm was a factory option.