It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonne SSEi
1990 Corvette Z51
1968 Chevelle
I posted this question on another website, but seemingly nobody could answer.

I did the Daytime Running Lights jumper in the forward fuse box. That works fine.

What I really want to do is control the headlights ONLY with dashboard headlight switch (I think I need to take the ambient light sensor (ALS) out of the picture). Is there a work around for this? How about pulling out the ALS?
I want my headlight switch to work like my 94 F350 which has no electronic light controls.
I had a 99 Bonne where I added a 12v source & diode at the Light Module to control the headlights as desired above, but in all the electrical diagrams I have looked at, I don't see a Light Module in an 02.

So to further explain, the issue is that at night, with the engine running and Not In Park, the headlights are on automatically because of the ambient light sensor (ALS). Turning the light switch to off has no effect.

At night, or in low light, I want to control my headlights ONLY via the switch & without the intervention of the ALS input. Is there a light module (like in 1999 and earlier Bonnevilles) or other device where I can trick the system to ignore the ALS. Is there any other work-around to accomplish this?

Has anyone ever removed the ALS and what is the result? How does the ALS operate to control the headlights & parking lights? Can someone explain this? Seems like I need to trick the ALS to simulate daylight at all times to get what I want. If there is a better solution, can someone please explain?

2002 Bonneville SSEi black
1990 Corvette Z51 white
1968 Chevelle ash gold
1994 F350 black
1986 Honda Magna red

previous
1999 bright white Bonneville SE
(totaled - parts available)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
I'm reading this, and the whole time I just envision you trying to sneak back home late without getting caught by your parents.

Sorry I have no insight, but thank you for the mid work day giggles.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
you would have to tap int the relay in maxifuse

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:46 pm 
LE Member

1990 Corvette Z51
1968 Chevelle
Honestly I just want my headlights to work like my other "old" cars. I have neighbors & prefer to extinguish the lights just before pulling into my driveway late at night.

Tap in the maxifuse - what number fuse? I already jumpered the DRL relay to kill the DRL's. Would this require a manual switch in the cockpit area (wiring thru the firewall?).

I'm thinking there must be a way to trick the ALS into thinking it's always daylight which would then give me complete control.

Does anyone know the ALS specs and how it functions? Or is the a light module that I could trick with a constant 12v. input? (I did this on my 99 Bonne)

1990 Corvette Z51 white
1968 Chevelle ash gold
1994 F350 black
1986 Honda Magna red

previous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
There is an ambient light sensor, but simply tricking it to think it is daytime all the time will also render your interior courtesy lamps inoperable as they are tied to the ALS function as well and do not come on in the daytime.

looking over the schematics, i am not seeing an easy way to do what you want as most all the inputs (headlamp switch, low/high switch, ALS etc are all fed into the Dash Integration Module (DIM) and it controls them from the received inputs. If you want all the relevant schematics i can link them in pdf format for you.

here is GMSI's Description of operation, it confirms my thoughts above:

Quote:
The headlamps may be turned on in three different ways:

The headlamp switch is placed in the ON position, for normal operation.
The twilight delay switch placed in the ON position, for automatic lamp control (ALC).
The twilight delay switch placed in the ON position, with the windshield wipers ON in daylight conditions, after a 6 second delay.
During ALC control the headlamps will be in day time running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions, or low beam operation in low light conditions. The dash integration module (DIM) provides battery positive voltage to the signal circuits of the headlamp switch. The circuits include the headlamp switch headlamps on signal and the flash to pass switch signal.

With the headlamp switch in the ON position, a ground path is available for the headlamp switch headlamps on signal circuit of the DIM through the headlamp switch. The DIM provides ground to either the headlamp low beam relay control circuit or the headlamp high beam relay control circuit. The position of the headlamp dimmer switch determines which relay control has ground. The DIM supplies battery positive voltage to the relay control circuits, if the headlamps are necessary. The fuse block - underhood supplies battery positive voltage to both relay switch circuits. When the headlamp low beam relay control is energized, current flow is to both low beam fuses and to the low beam headlamps. The headlamps have ground at G103 and at G401. When the headlamp high beam relay control is energized, current flow is to both high beam fuses and to the high beam headlamps. The high beam circuit is divided into a left and right side circuit. The current flow of the left high beam is from the fuse to the left high beam lamp. From the lamp, the current flows to the normally-closed contact of the DRL relay to G103. The current flow of the right high beam is from the fuse to the right high beam lamp. From the lamp, the current flow is to ground at G401. When the headlamp dimmer switch lever is pulled toward the driver, the flash-to-pass switch closes. This grounds the DIM flash to pass switch signal. In response to this signal, the DIM energizes the HDLP HI BM relay. Both high beams remain on until the driver releases the switch handle. If the low beam headlamps were on during a flash-to-pass operation, the low beams remain on. The headlights may be switched to high beam with the forward movement of the dimmer switch lever.

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 pm 
LE Member

1990 Corvette Z51
1968 Chevelle
Thanks for the detailed info. I think when it stops snowing that I will try to replace the light sensor with a 2200 ohm resistor and see if that does what I need (even at the expense of the interior lamps at night)

1990 Corvette Z51 white
1968 Chevelle ash gold
1994 F350 black
1986 Honda Magna red

previous