It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:43 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Attached is a picture of my set-up

The LED set-up comes with 3 options: Hard wire install (left), cigarette lighter install (middle), and 9 + 9 V (18V) battery demo (right).

The weird thing is when I connect the hard wire install plug (shown as the one connected to the color switch) to a 6-parallel switch, it made a loud 'pop' noise and then no longer works. Before breaking the lights, both of the other options (shown to the right of the 6-parallel switch) worked just fine. The equivalent 18 V battery didn't even destroy the lights, so why did the simple switch connected to the cigarette lighter outlet at 12 V destroy the lights?

Extra info: There are resistors built into the LED strip, and like I said, plugging them directly into the cigarette lighter did not break them, so why would introducing a switch break them? I am now using the switch for some other LEDs I bought and the switch is working wonderfully.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The polarity was reversed is my only guess. Overvoltage would have at least flashed brightly before it went.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Unless there is other logic circuitry involved, or polarity sensitive components such as an electrolytic or tantalum capacitor, reverse polarity should not have caused the LED's to pop. Since these are solid state devices, they will only bias on with current flow in the correct direction. If the LED's were backwards, they simply would not have illuminated because current will not flow backwards through them.

It's too difficult to get anything meaningful from the photo.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation