It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel gauge bulb number?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:08 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 02 SLE
02 SLE fuel gauge light is burnt out.

Anyone know the correct bulb # so I can pick one up on the way home from work and not have to run somewhere after I take it apart?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7188&p=74027

I believe the cluster uses the same backlight bulbs that the radio does.

However, it's not a simple pop out pop in solution, the bulbs are actually soldered to the instrument cluster board.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:38 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
If you replace one, you might as well replace them all. They make 12v LEDs you can replace them with, but you have to make sure you get SMD style, not normal LED's as they don't have a wide enough cone of illumination ( ask me how I know this? )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:40 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Crap. I knew the radio lights were soldered in (half my radio is burnt out as well), but didn't realize the gauge lights were the same way. This morning I noticed one at the upper part of the tach is burnt out as well.

Last weekend I did try getting the cluster out, I had it loose but it didn't seem to want to pull out of the dash cavity more than a few inches. So I couldn't see what's on the backside of it. What's the trick for getting the cluster out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Also, I don't want LEDs. I prefer it to look stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:00 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

you can get replacement bulbs from radio shack, they are super easy to replace if that's what you want to do. As far as getting the cluster out, there are 5 tabs you have to unlock ( 3 on top, 2 on the bottom ), and then when you remove it, I've found that pulling the bottom out first is the easiest to get the cluster out of the hole. It docks into the dash completely tool-less. the only tool you need to get it out is something to manipulate the metal spring clips if you can't get them with your fingers.

Replacing the bulbs requires disassembly of the cluster, and the only tools you need for that is a flat blade screw driver or equivalent flat tool to pry the tabs off the black plastic protective cover, a fork and a t15 torx or 1/4? socket to get the screws that hold it together out and masking tape and a marker/pen to mark the needle locations so that your gauges function at the same locations after you replace the needles..( the fork is used to pull the needles off the stepper motors ) and then you will need a soldering iron, some solder and wicking wire to de-solder the bulbs ( or a solder sucker ).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:02 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Also, be very careful with the drivers information module as it is on a ribbon cable and loose once the rear cover is off. When you go to reinstall everything back together, make sure the DIM is nestled properly in the cluster or you risk breaking one of the displays like I did.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I unlocked the 5 metal tabs, but the cluster only pulled back about 2 inches. It seems like the wiring is stopping it from coming out further and I didn't want to pull too hard and damage some wires. I couldn't get it out far enough to look at the back side or even get my hand behind it to feel what was going on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 White Gold GXP
I cannot attest to how the 02 cluster is, but the 05 GXP cluster just pulls right out. True plug-n-play, no harness to unclip. On the 05 once you get the cluster loose and pulled away, tip the bottom out towards you first with the steering column tipped as far down as it will go. There is a picture tutorial for it. I will see if I can find it and post it.
I did my stepper motors yesterday and before I pulled the cluster I swear all the cluster lights worked. Finished it up, put it all back together, put it back in the car and now I swear there are some bulbs out behind the oil pressure, voltage and the tach. I can't win for losing. Here is the link. Go down to interior, dash lights out. 2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html (this doesn't actually show pulling the cluster out, but the radio) sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:51 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

If it's hanging, it's likely that it's just hitting the rest of the dash. You tilt the bottom out. It's completely tool-less to remove the cluster, and it docks into the dash just like the radio and HVAC controls.

In order to replace the bulbs, you need to mark the location of the needles with a piece of tape and a pen and then pry them off with a fork. Just work them off a little bit at a time and you'll be fine.