It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:15 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SLE
Thanks for sending that to me! I'll dig into that tomorrow for sure! I have another question for ya. I have an SE, and there's a 92 or 93 bonneville SSEI at this junk yard I go to. The engine is all still intact, and I'm really interested in the supercharger. Is there a lot involved if i wanna put that supercharger on my bonneville? I'm handy and do all the work on my own car, but didn't know if it'd be a too much work for me (i.e. computer, wiring, timing, etc..). And I'll let ya know tomorrow what I find out after the bong tests. thanks again..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:08 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Okay, I got two bongs, which indicates a short in the battery protection circuit. When doing the I/O mode check on the switches, I got a single bong for the interior lamps switch, which I guess means the switch is working. So I guess I need to do the interior lamps system check. Now, yesterday I had all the covers unscrewed from the bottom of the dash, then put them back, and now my exterior lights and horn don't work when I used my keyfob to lock/unlock the doors. And the delay shutoff for the stereo and power windows doesn't work either when I turn my car off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:27 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: n/a
This campaign was for my 96 SSEi. But may be the same problem as what you are having. long read, but may help you...
Quote:
CAMPAIGN: MALFUNCTION ALARM, LIGHTING, AND LOCK MODULE #96-C-03 - (Nov 1, 1995)
Subject: NON-COMPLIANCE CAMPAIGN 96-C-03 MULTIFUNCTION ALARM, LIGHTING AND LOCK MODULE INOPERATIVE

Models Affected: 1996 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE

TO: ALL PONTIAC DEALERS

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, as amended, provides that each vehicle which is subject to a recall campaign of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty (60) days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time.

If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation.

To avoid having to provide these burdensome solutions, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. As you will see in reading the attached copy of the lefter that is being sent to customers, the customers are being instructed to contact the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center if their dealer does not remedy the condition within five (5) days of the mutually agreed upon service date. If the condition is not remedied within a reasonable time, they are instructed on how to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

DEFECT INVOLVED

General Motors has decided that certain 1996 Pontiac Bonneville model vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 114, "Theft Protection" and 208, "Occupant Crash Protection". These vehicles may have been assembled with a multifunction alarm, lighting, and locking (MALL) module that may contain a damaged capacitor. If the capacitor is damaged, the "key in the ignition" warning chime and the driver seatbelt unbuckled warning chime and indicator lamp may be inoperable. These functions are required by FMVSS 114 and 208. In addition, other chime reminder functions, interior lighting controls and power door locking functions are also affected.

To correct these conditions and in order to comply with FMVSS 114 and 208, dealers will inspect and, if required, replace the MALL module.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1996 Pontiac Bonneville model vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Up To And Year Plant Beginning Including ------------------------------------------------------ 1996 Orion T4200001 T4204257 1996 Buick City TH200001 TH201714

NOTICE: Only certain vehicles within these VIN ranges are affected. Please check your dealer campaign listing or the Vehicle Information Service System (VISS) for campaign involvement of suspect vehicles.

IMPORTANT: Vehicles which our records indicate were repaired with part number 10287337 have been deleted from this campaign.

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number Computer Listings. Computer listings contain the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data, and are furnished to involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. Customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow-up with customers involved in this campaign.

These listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from State Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this campaign. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the campaign bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

PARTS INFORMATION

NOTICE: A pre-shipment of part number 10287337 will be sent to involved dealers the week of November 13, 1995. Pre-shipment will equal parts for 40% of the number of vehicles to be repaired. Pre-shipment parts will be charged to the dealers' open parts account.

Additional parts required to complete this campaign are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). To ensure these parts will be obtained as soon as possible, they should be ordered from GMSPO on a "C.I.O." order with no special instruction code, but on an advise code (2). All Goodwrench Parts System Test Dealers should order on a "V.I.P." order.

Part Quantity Description Number Per Vehicle ------------------------------------------------------ MALL Module 10287337 1

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Customers will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by Pontiac Division (see copy of Customer Letter included with this bulletin).

DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this campaign must be held and inspected/repaired per the Service Procedure of this campaign bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers of vehicles recently sold from your new vehicle inventory with no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer, and arrangements made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. This could be done by mailing to such customers a copy of the customers letter accompanying this bulletin. Campaign follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, please take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

This bulletin is notice to you that the new motor vehicles included in this campaign may not comply with the standards identified above. Under Section 108 of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, it is illegal for a dealer to sell a new motor vehicle which the dealer knows does not comply with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. As a consequence, if you sell any of these motor vehicles without first performing the campaign correction, your dealership may be subject to a civil penalty up to $1,000 for each such sale.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove right lower instrument panel insulator (see Figure 1), remove (2) 7 mm screws and (1) light bulb.

2. Remove electrical connectors (2) to MALL module.

3. Remove MALL module from multi-use bracket by pressing down on center tab of mounting bracket and sliding module downward until mounting rails disengage.

3a. If MALL module is part number 10276237 (printed on white label on module), proceed to step 4 and install a NEW module, part number 10287337.

3b. If MALL module is part number 10287337 (printed on lavender label on module), proceed to step 4 and REINSTALL removed module.

4. Install MALL module to multi-use bracket by aligning mounting rails on module with mounting bracket rails and sliding module upward into place until locking tab engages.

5. Reinstall electrical connectors, bulb, and lower instrument panel insulator.

6. Install Campaign Identification Label.

CAMPAIGN IDENTIFICATION LABEL

Each label provides space to print the campaign number and the five digit dealer code of the dealership performing the campaign. Insert this information with a typewriter or a ball point pen. When installing label, clean and dry the surface of the radiator support tie bar and apply the campaign label where it is readily visible when the hood is raised. Be sure to apply the clear protective plastic cover over the label. Additional GM Campaign Identification Labels (Item Number S-1015) are available at no cost from Vispac, Inc., 35000 Industrial Road, Livonia, MI 48150, 1-800-269- 51 00 (Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Est.).

CLAIM INFORMATION

A separate repair order must be used for each vehicle. A completed warranty claim is to be kept as a permanent record of completion.

DEALERS SHOULD SUBMIT WARRANTY CLAIMS FOR CREDIT IN THEIR NORMAL MANNER WHEN THEY PERFORM THE SERVICE AS FOLLOWS:

Failure Labor Labor Operation Code. Operation Hours --------- --------------------------- Inspect only - New MALL Module Already Installed 96 V9755 0.2*

Replace MALL Module 96 V9756 0.2*

* ADD: For Campaign Administrative Allowance, add 0.1 hours to the "Labor Hours". This entry will not require authorization.

The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer Net price plus 40% dealer handling allowance.

FAILURE CODE 96 MUST BE USED WITH THE LABOR OPERATION.

Dealers will be credited via Warranty Document or Terminal Transmission, whichever is their normal method of submission for payment. Claim must contain all information required and should list the labor operation as outlined.

RECORDING COMPLETION

Repairs submitted for vehicles not involved in the campaign will not be paid.

Campaign completion will be recorded from "PROPERLY COMPLETED AND PAID WARRANTY CLAIMS." Customers are being asked to present the customer reply card for identification to their dealer at the time they bring in their vehicle to have the campaign performed.

Dear Pontiac Bonneville Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

REASON FOR THIS RECALL

General Motors has decided that certain 1996 Pontiac Bonneville model vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 114, "Theft Protection" and 208, "Occupant Crash Protection". These vehicles may have been assembled with a multifunction alarm, lighting, and locking (MALL) module that may contain a damaged capacitor. If the capacitor is damaged, the "key in the ignition" warning chime and the driver seat belt unbuckled warning chime and indicator lamp may be inoperable. These functions are required by FMVSS 114 and 208. In addition, other chime reminder functions, interior lighting controls and power door locking functions, are also affected.

WHAT WE WILL DO

To correct these conditions and in order to comply with FMVSS 114 and 208, Pontiac dealers will inspect and, if required, replace the MALL module. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Please contact your Pontiac dealer as soon as possible to arrange an appointment and so the dealer may order the necessary parts for the repair.

Instructions for making this inspection/correction have been sent to your dealer and parts are available. The labor time necessary to perform this service inspection/correction is approximately fifteen (15) minutes. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much additional time will be needed to schedule and process your vehicle.

Your Pontiac dealer is best equipped to obtain parts and provide service to ensure that your vehicle is corrected as promptly as possible. If, however, you take your vehicle to your dealer on the agreed service date, and they do not remedy this condition on that date, or within five (5) days, we recommend you contact the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center by calling: 1-800-762-2737.

After contacting your dealer and the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center, if you are still not satisfied that we have done our best to remedy this condition, without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S. W., Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-800-424-9393 (Washington, DC residents use 202-366-0123).

The enclosed Campaign Customer Reply Card identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this card to your dealer will assist in making the necessary inspection/correction in the shortest possible time. If you have sold or traded your vehicle, please let us know by completing the postage-paid Customer Reply Card and returning it to us.

We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.

PONTIAC DIVISION General Motors Corporation

Figure 1

Figure 2

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

thanks for the info. Mine has a different part number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
Try erasing the code & then exit & go back into Diagnostic Mode to see if the code returns. When it's in I/O mode try the following:
Both front doors have a switch on the door handles. Lift each handle slowly & you should get a bong before the door opens.
All four doors should bong when opened & bong again when closed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:30 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Okay. The code was still there after I erased. And when I was in I/O mode, only the drivers door bonged.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 00 Regal
It is pretty common to get a bunch of bongs when entering the test. You mention getting a double bong, did you open a door when that happened? If yes, that is normal. One bong for the handle switch and one bong for the door ajar switch. To properly do the test, keep the door shut by holding it and lift the handle (one bong) then while holding the handle up allow the door to open (one bong).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I got two bongs when I was in diagnostic mode. When I was in I/O mode, I only got one bong when I OPENED the drivers door, none when I lifted the handle. And ZERO bongs from the other three doors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

I just sent you the Interior Lamps Systems Check but I don't think it's going to help - we already know the lights aren't coming on. :roll:

I believe you already said the headlamp switch passed the bong test when rotated on & off. I would unplug both connectors going to the BCM & check for any corrosion on both the male & female terminals of each connector. If all the terminals look good then I think it's time to head for the junkyard for a "new" BCM (also referred to as MALL).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:16 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yeah, I checked both connectors for corrosion already, and they looked alright. I'll take a look at the Interior Lamps System Check info you sent me, and probably go to the junkyard for a "new" BCM. I'll post the outcome of everything once I get it done. I'm working all day today, but will try to make it to the junkyard after work. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll talk to ya soon.

Josh

(oh, and I guess I should get some pics of the car on here soon too!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:36 pm 
LE Member

Yoshicoby wrote:
Yeah, I checked both connectors for corrosion already, and they looked alright. I'll take a look at the Interior Lamps System Check info you sent me, and probably go to the junkyard for a "new" BCM. I'll post the outcome of everything once I get it done. I'm working all day today, but will try to make it to the junkyard after work. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll talk to ya soon.

Josh

(oh, and I guess I should get some pics of the car on here soon too!)

I had a GM dealer service tech tell me that you can't just plug-n-play a BCM.
They said the dealer has to calibrate it to your car.... :???:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Toddster wrote:

Not according to the 99 factory service manual.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm 
LE Member

Mechanical Mike wrote:
Toddster wrote:

Not according to the 99 factory service manual.

Thanx for confirming that, I had a feeling he was just shooting from the hip :bsmack:

Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:50 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Okay. The interior lamps system check just confirmed I have abnormal results with each check, except the cigarette lighter, which works fine. None of the lights come on with any of the light tests; none of the lights remain on either, since they don't actually turn on at all anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

oh, and I didn't make it to the junkyard today. Got an alignment and tires after work today. But will definitely pick up a BCM or two tomorrow after work when I go to the junkyard to get my core back on the rims.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I got a couple BCMs from the junkyard. I hooked them each up, and the lights all come on! But maybe I didn't hook them up right, because they won't turn off now. Is there a specific procedure for plugging in a BCM, or is do you know if I have to get it off the same year, make, and model car?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

:banana: All you have to do is plug in the old BCM when you want them off! :beerchug:

Did you try the bong test on all four doors & the front handles? I suspect one of the door switches aren't working.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Haha! Thats a great idea. I could wire them both with a switch to chose which one I want on the circuit! LOL. Yeah I think one of my door switches is out too. Well, at least we're making progress! Bad BCM. Now...the door switches... I should be able to handle that. I will let ya know!! Thanks again. -Josh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Are my door switches in the latches?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 00 Regal
Try the bong test again. Most likely your drivers door handle won't bong. Which means it's switch is bad.

MALL's do need to be programmed for any features your car has that the donor car may not have had. It is easy to get same featured modules though.