It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Okay, so I've nearly got everything that I need for my HID retrofit. I've been doing a lot of research on this, but am just struggling a little bit finalizing the wiring diagram that I'll need to make everything work correctly. Here's what I'll be doing with the retrofit, and what's tripping me up.

I'm using the Morimoto Mini H1 v7 projectors for the HID retrofit, using a relay harness from the retrofit source. This harness plugs into the stock plugs for the 9006 low beams. Those plugs go into the ballasts, and from there the HID's just plug in. I'll be using an HIR 9011 bulb for the high beam, and will use a high beam splitter harness to get signal to both the HIR bulb and the shield solenoid.

Here's where I'm getting a little tripped up: I have to do the "4hi" mod to keep my low beams on when the high beam is turned on in order to keep the HID functioning, so that both the HID and HIR will be on together with the shield on the HID open. To do the 4hi mod, I have to relay my low beams, and tap into the + wire for the high beams, using that wire to trigger the relay for the low beams. I've got most of that figured out.

However, since i"m going to an HIR bulb, I'll likely want to relay the high beams as well. I'm a little confused how to use the relays for both high and low, while keeping the low beam on with the high beam, AND combining the low beam relay with the relay harness in the HID kit.

I'll be using Bosch dual make SPST relays for the high and low beams, so that I can have one relay for both sides since they have a dual 87 pin.

Does anyone have a diagram of how to relay both the high beams and low beams on a 99? If I can get a grasp on exactly how to wire in the initial relays for the 4hi mod/to support the HIR, then adding the HID harness will be mostly plug and play from there. It's just a little confusing without having all the wires in front of me since I"m still waiting on my relays and harness to get here.

The most confusing thing is how to keep voltage from the low beam signal from triggering the relay on the high beam when I splice the two signal wires together from the dimmer switch. Will I need to put a diode between these wires so that current only triggers the low beam relay when the high beams are on, but not vice versa

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Sorry for the crappy drawing, I roughly sketched this out on my lunch break. The thicker wires and set of 2 relays labled R are the TRS relay harness that will come with my retrofit kit. This harness connects everything to the ballasts/hid's, and the high beam splitter splits signal from the high beam to the solenoid. It's hard to see, but I drew in a little diode where I think I'll need one to control the first set of relays needed for the 4hi mod and the HIR swap. Can someone tell me if this all looks right for what I'm doing, or will I need to change something? The two larger relays labled high beam and low beam relays are the dual make relays that will have two 87 pins, NOT an 87 and 87a pin, so that I can use one relay for both sides of the car. Also I should mention I'll be using 16awg and 14awg wire where appropriate, and the power for the relays from the battery will be fused each with a 15a blade style fuse.

Also, here's the direct link to the diagram so you can view it larger if it doesn't get large enough on the thread

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/Fridgeration92/wiring%20diagram%20try%201%20larger_zpsw2nbgm6z.jpg

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten