It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:00 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville se
I had a problem a while back. Mechanic replaced a module at the base of the steering column.i think it was the neutral switch or something like that.They lowered the column and laid it on the seat when working on it. Several days later i was stuck at work. Security light on and no start. turns out they broke the security wires at the key tumbler which my mech at work fixed. About a month later I go over some RR tracks and the Security light comes on again, but no starting problems or running issues. Just stays on after start. Well recently I filled up with gas at my Reg station and next day car acts like it is trying to die during normal driving. We checked and replaced the fuel filter and Mech says the gas was black in color.Maybe got something from the last fill up in the tank.So now when I drive my car it runs good if its cool out in the mornings. Park it at work for the heat of the day and then drive it try's to to die. Like someone is flipping a switch on and off.Cant maintain speed and does eventually die. But let it sit for a minute and you can drive slow but eventually get back up and running normal speeds like nothing ever happened. and then it will act up again sometimes. But next day when its cool it runs good.One Mech says its the security system thinking the car is being stolen and fuel pump and the other says it something in the tank. Fuel pump pressure at the engine only shows 40 lbs. New fuel filter makes now difference.. Help please.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The Anti-Theft system will only cause a no-start condition. It will not shut the car down once running.

The fuel pump does sound rather suspicious. I would do more testing to see what fuel pressure is doing.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:07 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville se
Fuel pressure at idle was 40 lbs. when we raised the RPM's to 2-3000 the pressure was only 44 lbs. thinking maybe sock around the pump is clogged and fuel pump is weak. Car has 170,000 miles on it.going to drop the tank this week and clean out tank and replace the fuel pump. Will keep you posted on results.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:12 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 se
Check fuel filter