It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:38 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Ok guys I was sent here, on another tread... I have a 2003 SE, I got a sle cluster out of a donor from the junkyard... I cut the wiring but not all the way to the back of the dash hook up, and I also got the compass module from the trunk! I installed the cluster and it all works but the compass and the the ability to go through the features it will give me warnings and then just sit at the average mpgs.... how or what can I do to make it work without getting the all the wiring from a donor?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:14 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
This should be something that is completely possible, however it will require some work.

You already know that the compass module was located under the left rear shelf which is where you should place it in your vehicle. The reason is because one of the connections must be made to the rear defrost circuit at the Rear Integration Module. As I recall, you also need to make a connection to GND, IGN 3 & BATT POS VOLTAGE which can all be done under the rear seat. Additionally, there are two wires that must run from the module to the instrument cluster.

Here's where life gets a little miserable...

The instrument cluster (along with the factory radio and climate control head) use Dock-N-Lock style connectors. Since your car didn't come with this option, it will not have the terminals in the connector that mates with the cluster. SO... you are going to need to harvest a couple of DNL terminals that you can install in the appropriate connector that mates with the cluster. There are two connectors (for the instrument cluster) and without looking at diagrams, I'm not sure which connector and cavities these terminals must go in (easy enough to find out though). The connectors and terminals are all Delphi and have not been in production for... A VERY LONG TIME (ask me how I know). There is no stock of these terminals anywhere, nor were they ever part of the Terminal Repair Kit that GM dealers all have. This means you'll need to grab some from an existing wiring harness with a few inches of wire you can splice to. To do this successfully, you'll also need to figure out how to take apart the DNL connector so you can remove the terminals. This isn't something I can explain in a few words here, but I'll see if I can find something in my documentation resources.

Here's a few words of advice...

Anyone who adds wiring to the dash needs to consider there may be a time the dash must be removed to replace the heater core, A/C evaporator or conduct other repairs. Depending on how you go about this, you can either make this really easy or a lot more difficult. When I do installs/mods, I ALWAYS route wiring through connectors that can be unplugged whether they are ones I add or if I utilize vacant cavities in existing factory connectors. Two wires isn't the end of the world, so if you had to cut them and splice them back together later because the dash had to come out... oh well. Just consider if you've got a lot of other wiring in the dash for mods it can become cumbersome and more time consuming.

Did you get the upgraded DIC switch control?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

ALSO...

I believe there is a setting in the Dash Integration Module that should be enabled in vehicles that have a Driver Information Center. You need a Tech2 to complete this step.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Easiest way.... grab a dash harness with the features you want and install that with all associated modules. That's how I have the full DIC, dual zone climate control (optional on the SE but mine didn't have it) and heads up display in my 2002 SE.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:48 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Don't know if that's the easiest way to add the compass but certainly a possibility. The dash must come out to do this versus adding two wires to the instrument cluster connector. It's likely what I'd do if I still had an SE but a lot of work nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

The SE cluster is bare bones whereas the SLE cluster has the full driver information center. SE would have the three button DIC controller and SLE would have 4 (or 4 and 5, can't remember off the top of my head) I believe the connector is different as well as additional wires for the added functions. I did swap from a 2002 to a complete 2004 wiring harness though so that could make a difference as well I suppose.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:28 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

He will definitely need the expanded 5 button DIC control panel to take advantage of the options and to be able to perform the compass calibration. I just haven't had a chance to look at the schematics just yet to see what wiring changes are necessary. As I recall, the DIC switches connect directly to the cluster so this should also be fairly easy. I'm going to try and look at diagrams tomorrow, they're just on another computer. The wiring harness you installed in yours would have had all the necessary changes and additions for that switch assembly.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:32 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Ok guys ha ha just got off work awesome.... thanks. What I grabbed from the donor car was cluster, the mode button (which is a 5 button) and I cut the wires that connect to it probably like a good 8 inches.....and the compass module and that's it! I can always go for the models that go under the dash on the drivers foot well? I have the cluster and the button control installed when I turn the car on I get a few warnings I get are 1. compass needs calibration 2.oil need change and last 3. Gas cap (which I fixed lose cap) then I hit mode on the buttons and I o lyrics get the average MPGS! And I can't get any other mode.....

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:27 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The first thing you need to do is set some goals and decide what you want. But before you go crazy, to change everything out will be A LOT of work. It's not going to be a quick weekend project, especially since you've never had the car apart to any significant extent. The entire dash must come out of a donor vehicle because it's the only way you can remove the instrument panel wiring harness as a complete unit. You also need to be familiar with the differences between some of the model years because not all cars can be used for donor parts. For example, 2000-01 is completely out of the question for dash wiring because it's completely different. An SSEi harness is a possibility but wiring for the audio system is also different and you need to know how to work around this since it will not simply interface with your existing main body harness and work properly. Then you have the aftermarket stereo already in your car and I've got no idea how well it was installed. You will only be able to count on a limited amount of support from the forum because mods of this extent are near impossible to do "remotely". YOU need to have a fairly decent level of skill and understanding, be able to read and understand schematics and understand how to troubleshoot if things don't go well. Your car is going to be out of commission for DAYS. And that's if everything goes well.

I've completed numerous projects requiring extensive wiring modifications. This is something I'd do, but it isn't as simple as throwing some wiring and a few modules at the car. On top of all this, some of the configuration settings need to be changed. Taking a module from the donor car isn't exactly the best way to do this either because your VIN needs to be programmed into the Dash Integration Module which also needs to be synchronized with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint module. If these things aren't done, I'm not exactly sure what (if any) problems you may encounter.

So, take a step back and very carefully evaluate what your skill level is, the resources you have available, your understanding of these vehicles and where you want this to go. This is a rather ambitious project.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:41 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Just a warning, if you undertake this project you won't stop there :lol:

I started with a $500 2002 SE, blew it up and went from just an engine swap from parts car to just crazy...

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 am 
SE Member
SE Member

:) lol whoa... I think I'll just leave it the way it is, till I get the model I want, which is a 2005 SLE white, or galaxy silver like the one I have now :dontknow: ! It does work now the way it is..... it basically shows the mpg like what I wanted that cluster in 1st place that and I super hate that big fake looking car, that shows doors open the original had! Regarding the custom radio install......it was done pretty well, they used a install kit, including the wire hook up, and the weird antenna hook up too! If and when I get the 05 bonneville only thing I would do is a remote start, and a double din radio with backup cam. And nav. So I guess in short this bonneville will be my practice bonneville! As far is tackling electrical and mechanical on this car..... I say I can do it! I had a 2006 cadillac dts performance, that I had to change the water pump, and if you done it trust me it's no walk in the park. With that said I really enjoyed this car in the short time I've had very easy to work on. And culture on this Forum is awesomely great! Thank guys definitely will keep reading and asking questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:21 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

You should still be able to upgrade to the five-button DIC control if you want, along with adding the compass module. This shouldn't be extremely crazy and might be a good intro to digging into this car...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:39 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Agreed, if you have some decent mechanical understanding you should be able do the install, don't let us discourage you from doing so. There is great satisfaction knowing you did it yourself and it really builds your confidence to be able to tackle other projects down the road.

MattStrike wrote: