It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: Dark Green 1997 SSEi
Right now I cannot get any heat to blow out of the vents. When I try to switch the ECC to a different vent I hear a distinct click noise.

Could this be a blower motor problem or a relay?

Mods/Stuff: INTENSE! FWI, ScanGauge 2, Mobil 1 HM Oil, Valvoline HM Transmission Fluid, Mildly Tuned PCM, Drilled 180 Thermostat, Cleared Corners, Silverstars, Chrome T-Stars, NGK Iridium Plugs, NAPA Belden Wires.

Last edited by Blown93SSEi on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:10 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Sounds like the little doors are switching positions, I assume that's what the click noise is. I would check the relay/blower motor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:24 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Testing the relay here in a sec.

Another question I had. What troubleshooting steps can I use to determine if the resistor or the actual blower motor is bad?

Mods/Stuff: INTENSE! FWI, ScanGauge 2, Mobil 1 HM Oil, Valvoline HM Transmission Fluid, Mildly Tuned PCM, Drilled 180 Thermostat, Cleared Corners, Silverstars, Chrome T-Stars, NGK Iridium Plugs, NAPA Belden Wires.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:19 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Sorry for the double post.

I went out to check the relays and fuses and for some weird reason the blower is working again... I didn't replace anything yet.

It started working again after I was adjusting the blower speed settings. When I moved it from 5 bars to 2 bars I could feel air coming out again. Moved it back up to 5 bars and it was blowing full speed heat and all.

Should I now be looking at a loose wire perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Did you touch anything yet?

I'm no expert on the 92-99, but on the 2000+ intermittent fan operation means the motor's brushes are worn, and replacement is necessary.

Another thing to consider, on the pre 2004 GPs, if the blower only works on full blast, that means relay.

Not sure how helpful or relevant any of that is, but just throwing out ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Unless the blower is not pushing enough volume (thus it feels like the vents aren't switching), it is not a player in switching where the air comes out. That would likely be a vacuum issue, and if it IS a vacuum problem, it’s likely you have collapsed nipples in the vacuum manifold on the HVAC controller. You might try searching on collapsed nipples and see what you can dig up, or go to http://www.trialsnuts.com/ecc.pdf - there’s some information and pictures in that article.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Sirius wrote:
Unless the blower is not pushing enough volume (thus it feels like the vents aren't switching), it is not a player in switching where the air comes out. That would likely be a vacuum issue, and if it IS a vacuum problem, it’s likely you have collapsed nipples in the vacuum manifold on the HVAC controller. You might try searching on collapsed nipples and see what you can dig up, or go to http://www.trialsnuts.com/ecc.pdf - there’s some information and pictures in that article.

Collapsed nipples? Sounds sexy :banana: LOL

That's a new one I didn't think of. Will check it out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:06 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Got her fixed! Turned out to be the blower motor. Tapped the motor with a wrench and it turned on. Bad bushing? Replaced her with a new one and everything has been working fine since. :banana: