It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:20 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEI
Hello All,

I returned to my car in the evening to leave work and noticed first thing that my radio (aftermarket) was still on. I attempt to turn the ignition switch with no result. I pull the key out, open the door, shut the door, and the radio is still on. I was not able to turn the radio off even by removing the face plate. I then turn the key to accessory mode and the door windows do not roll up.
I attempted to wiggle the key around for a while with no result. Exhausting all known options while sitting in the parking lot I get a tow home.

First thing arriving home I disconnect the battery to charge it overnight. Next day I go out to my car, hook up the battery, and turn the key.....nothing....no accessories, dash lights, radio, interior lights, headlights, power windows are working. The power seats were however, fully functional! I attempted to sound the horn and it worked, but it STAYED ON. I had to disconnect the battery to quiet the noise.

Could this be an ignition switch? I've done some researching and have found that most of you have had problems with it not starting when its bad but not with accessories or headlights/power windows and interior lights. I am contemplating buying an ignition switch, but something tells me there is something else wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:30 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
That's a strange one, with so many unrelated items being involved. Has the radio been installed for a while? Any other after-market things installed? When weird things like this happen, it's generally caused by one of two things. A bad battery (low voltage/current can do strange things to the electronics) or a bad after-market install....someone tapping into something that they shouldn't.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:58 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I have had the radio installed for awhile now. I did the install myself using proper solder, heat shrinking and such. My wife and I have noticed an intermittent problem with the radio staying on after pulling the key out, opening the door, and closing the door. Its supposed to stay on after you remove the key and open the door, then once the door is closed shut off. The few times I noticed it staying on, I just open the door and close it and it shuts off. This time I forgot to check the radio to see if it was on so it must have stayed on while I was at work.

This is the aftermarket radio adaptor I used for the install that I bought from Crutchfield,

Metra GMRC-04 Factory Integration Adapter
http://www.crutchfield.ca/GM_GMRC_04_In ... GMRC04.htm

Has anybody had any problems with this unit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:05 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The retained accessories power is supposed to shut the radio (and other items) off when the door is opened, not when it is opened and then closed.

Try removing the radio and disconnecting it and see if things return to normal. If not, inspect the wiring closely for any broken wires or shorts. Of everything is fine, you may have a bad dash integration module and/or rear integration module.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:51 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville ssei series 2
I tend to agree with the last post also check the numbers on the ignition. We have noticed while not included in the recent recall that alot of them are from the same batch numbers subject to recall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Thank you. I removed the radio and checked the wiring. I did not see any bad wires and did not have any luck with removing the radio.

Where shall I find these "integration" modules?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The DIM is under the right side of the dash.
Attachment:
DIMLocation.gif
DIMLocation.gif [ 36.08 KiB | Viewed 1577 times ]

The RIM is behind the rear seat back cushion. I believe that you have to remove the seat back to replace it.
Attachment:
RIMLocation.gif
RIMLocation.gif [ 18.32 KiB | Viewed 1577 times ]

If you replace these with new, they have to be programmed by the dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Just thought I would give and update..its been awhile.

So now i have discovered the issue is the #29 ign fuse keeps blowing when the key is turned.

Any body had this issue?