It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 se
i have a 2000 bonneville se i just bought. i have some instrament cluster issues ,like inacurate fuel guage,oil guage non responsive,no speedo or tach and odometer stopped counting......my question is basicaly can someone tell me what these wires go to? im wondering if some how they are the reason for my cluster issues...
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/wdudetocool/

Last edited by wdudetocool on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Looks aftermarket to me.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:09 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

i think they have something to do with the factory installed alarm. the black plug says triad,which has to do with the alarm. i know when u unplug it the car wont start. im just not sure what the loose wires are to,and if they are of any importance. i dont think they are aftermarket due to the way they are wrapped ...could they be for the reciever for the fob? my remote is broke so i cant try to set the alarm with it,but i do know the alarm is still functional cause ive set it off a couple times on accident messing with fuses...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: Black 2001 Bonneville SSEi
You might try this site. I think have wiring diagrams for other systems as well as the radio wiring.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/veh ... ntiac.html

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:38 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

UPDATE: well last nite i pulled dash cluster out and cleaned the plugins to make sure they were clean from dust and dirt. this morning after i took my roomate to work i noticed now my odometer is counting miles again, but now my service engine soon light is on :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:08 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

ok ....lol...well on my second trip of the day i noticed my tach,and now speedo have begun to work. for the first time since ive owned the car. im honestly getting exhited!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

well guys the party didnt last long, the gages worked for most the day,then when my gf came home we were going to the store and as soon as i started the car it was back to the same old issues.....though i did notice something i hadnt before...when the gages worked i seen the airbag indicater light on dash which ive never seen before......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:46 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
You are probably going to have to chase those wires back and see where they go. There is no way to tell if they are related to your gauge issue or not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Also: What's with your camera? It has this weird shading effects, I noticed it in your other thread too. Is it a setting you have it on, or just the optical sensor going bad?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:55 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

With all sorts of electrical problems at the same time I would definitely check my ground buses. Somebody wiser should confirm that. Also, if you were having issues since before the wires were cut it probably would be unrelated.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

i really dont know about the wiring thing cause it was like that when i bought the car. but i have a feeling maybe they are somehow connected to the speedo,and tach...and one is a ground possibly.and the 2 with the little plug might that be for the lighting under the dash? if so,my question is where do the other three wires go? Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

sorry about pics,ive been using my android phone for a camera....its not so bad if i just get better light.ill try to take clearer ones ....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

also should i unhook and clean the bolt going to the engine compartment fuse box,it looks a little crusty?the one in the back seat is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

I have an Android too. It works pretty good but is hard to pin down a good shot.

You could have problems with those loose wires, and it's obvious to me they are aftermarket, but tracing them down is tough. I'd say work back as far as you can see. If nothing else tape them or cap them off. If you can find an alarm/remote start module up in there then cut it out and cap off those wires or remove them at the source. There should be only one possible problem I can think of about cutting them out and that's the starter disable relay. You'll have to remove the relay from the wire going to the starter.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

wdudetocool wrote:
also should i unhook and clean the bolt going to the engine compartment fuse box,it looks a little crusty?the one in the back seat is fine.

Yes, clean that carefully and put it back together. This is similar to cleaning your ground busses. First thing, have the autoshop check your battery, clean your battery cables and connections and then try cleaning your ground busses. I don't know where your busses are in your 2000. Do a search here at Pontiac Bonneville Club I'm sure you'll see. It's no big deal. Mine was under the molding at the foot of my driver's door. Pulled up the carpet and there it was. pulled it apart, sprayed it with brake cleaner, scrubbed it with a wire brush and put it back together-10 mins- problem solved

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

thank you spoiler dude,you have givin me plenty to think of,and some very good advice. ill let you kno when something happens....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
This gen does not have the ground buses in the doors like you are mentioning. There are ground connections at the doors on each side abour where the e-brake is. You will see them if you pull the sill trim off. There are several more under the seats and carpet.

I would not worry about the grounds or cut and tape anything. You need to trace the wires back and see where they go. From what you have shown, noone can tell if they are stock or aftermarket.

Last edited by myfirstbonnie on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

thank you for clarifying that @myfirstbonnie. and ill take better pics. but to me honestly i believe it is not aftermarket. it looks to me like they are part of the wiring harness. and since i have a light under the passenger side illuminating the floor,and no light on my driver side...im led to believe 2 of those wires are supposed to plug into a lamp under dash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:52 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
What was that connector plugged into? Are your huxh panels still in the car under the dash? There should be a lamp socket in them and you could see if the wires are cut from there.

Have you actually pulled the instrument cluster and cleaned the connections in the rear of it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:00 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

yea pulled the cluster,no luck....and under the dash the lamp has been removed completely. ill go out there and look at the passenger side,see what those wires look like. and take a pic of the wiring on drivers side. that might help. i really appreciate everyones help.